12.16.17 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

Default Obama - "acted stupidly"

Henry Louis Gates Jr.
    “This isn’t about me;
    this is about the vulnerability of black men in America,”

One last question mr president. Noooooooo

NATICK, Mass. - The Cambridge police commissioner said Thursday that his department is "deeply pained" by President Barack Obama's statement that his officers "acted stupidly" when they arrested a renowned black scholar in his home.

Obama was asked about the arrest of Henry Louis Gates Jr, who is his friend, at the end of a nationally televised news conference on health care Wednesday night.

“I think it’s fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry,” Obama said. “No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And No. 3 — what I think we know separate and apart from this incident — is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that’s just a fact.”

Commissioner Robert Haas commended the arresting officer, Sgt. James Crowley, as a decorated officer and said his actions were in no way motivated by racism.
    Crowley, who is white, has been a lightning rod for criticism after arresting Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his home last week. Police say Gates flew into a verbal rage when officers asked him for identification while investigating a report of a break-in at his home

Arresting officer teaches racial profiling class -
    Crowley is a police academy expert on understanding racial profiling and has taught a class on the subject for five years at the Lowell Police Academy after being hand-picked for the job by former police Commissioner Ronny Watson, who is black, said Academy Director Thomas Fleming.
    “I have nothing but the highest respect for him as a police officer. He is very professional and he is a good role model for the young recruits in the police academy,” Fleming told The Associated Press on Thursday.
    The course, called “Racial Profiling,” teaches about different cultures that officers could encounter in their community “and how you don’t want to single people out because of their ethnic background or the culture they come from,” Fleming said.
    Obama has said the Cambridge officers “acted stupidly” in arresting Gates last week when they responded to his house after a woman reported a suspected break-in.
    Crowley, 42, has maintained he did nothing wrong and has refused to apologize, as Gates has demanded.
    Crowley responded to Gates’ home near Harvard University last week to investigate a report of a burglary and demanded Gates show him identification. Police say Gates at first refused, flew into a rage and accused the officer of racism.

Obama did not fault the actions of Gates, who he said is a friend.

The White House said Thursday that Obama did not intend to call the officer "stupid."
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32092715...and_ethnicity/

Jon Stewart on the prez health care speech and "stupidly" comment.
    The entire first segment is hilarious.
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...-sally-jenkins
    Last edited by Wruff_ajax; 07.25.09 at 12:31 PM.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

from everything i've read I don't think Obama is wrong at all on this. If a cop shows up at my house thinking oi broke into it and I prove it's my home, shouldn't the encounter end with the cop apologizing for wasting my time and the story ending? Charges being laid was stupid, he said it perfectly.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

We've got bigger problems than this. Much bigger.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yes we do. Which makes me wonder what the hell he was thinking wrapping up his discombobulated health care speech with this bs.

Besides. Beats the hell out of the MJ's Dead thread.

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike
    from everything i've read I don't think Obama is wrong at all on this. If a cop shows up at my house thinking oi broke into it and I prove it's my home, shouldn't the encounter end with the cop apologizing for wasting my time and the story ending? Charges being laid was stupid, he said it perfectly.
    Not if you freak out screaming at the officer, yelling at him to get out of your house, refusing to show i.d., calling him racist, and reportedly worse things about the cops mother. This even as the officer was attempting to leave the property according to reports.

According to Sgt. Crowley’s police report, Mr. Gates was arrested after he continued to yell as Sgt. Crowley was leaving the house, attracting the attention of neighbors and passers-by.
    Not knowing it was Gates’ home, Sgt. Crowley questioned him when he got there. The sergeant’s report states Mr. Gates refused to answer his questions and show his identification and, after finally providing identification, repeatedly accused the officer of racism. The alleged verbal assault continued outside on Mr. Gates’ porch, where he was finally arrested.

Any of us, regardless of race, will be taken down to the station for treating a cop like that.
    Bottom line. If you’re not deferential and don’t immediately obey a police officer, you’ll likely find yourself charged with disorderly conduct.

Police could have taken Gates into custody after Gates refused to identify himself.

“If we respond to a (breaking and entering) and are met with ‘Get out of here!’ by a person who’s not telling us who he is, we can put the person in cuffs right then and there,” Deputy Police Chief Barrieau said. “The fact that (Sgt. Crowley) didn’t do that shows patience.”

I've been in a similar situation as Gates and thought only to cooperate with the cops the moment they arrived, showed them my I.D., and thanked them for protecting the neighborhood.

From what I've read the cop was just doing his job as he should have and Gates was being a complete douchbag.
    Seems the arrest on disorderly conduct was appropriate, and that the dropping of the charge is politically motivated thanks to Obama's shout out during his address to the nation when he admittedly didn't know shit about what happened in the first place.

You know don't you that every question from every reporter is screened and approved by the white house. Obama knew exactly what that lady was going to ask him and he had already prepared his response. It was a stupid thing to do on his part, and his motivations for doing it were fucked up.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    From what I've read the cop was just doing his job as he should have and Gates was being a complete douchbag.
    yup...

and 10-to-1, if the house was actually robbed while he was able (since there were recent breakins around that area), surely he would have claimed the police didn't do as much as they should have in protecting his property and or resolving the crime, because of his race...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

wow - check out this commentary...

http://voices.kansascity.com/node/5234
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    wow - check out this commentary...

http://voices.kansascity.com/node/5234
    Do black people really believe that being white makes me feel comfortable and great about smarting off to a cop? If I'm dealing with a cop, I "keep my place" too. It's just common sense.

This made me think of the Eddie Murphy SNL bit where he makes himself up as a white man one day. Sorry, but this is the only part I could find. Funny line though, in context.

Last edited by VegasVic; 07.25.09 at 02:45 PM.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mouthing off to a cop almost always ends up with the mouther wearing handcuffs.

Suppose it had gone down like this:

Police receive a call about a burglary in progress, two African-American males are forcing their way into a home in a nice neighborhood. Officers arrive at the address, encounter two black men inside the house. The officers ask for ID, the men refuse and call officers racist. Not wanting to cause a scene, the officers apologize and leave the home.

A few days later, Gates returns home from vacation to find his house has been robbed.

Now the cops are racist because they assumed that the black man in the home lived there instead of asking for ID.

The biggest lesson with this story is that the President decided that the police were wrong without more knowledge. The jackass even says so in the preface to his statement. Excuse me, Mr President, if you don't know the whole story, why the fuck are you saying anything other than "No comment". What other decisions is Wonder Boy making without all the facts? What a dill-hole.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

That's no shit.
    Thing is, if he had "no comment" on the matter then we'd have never heard the question asked in the first place. The white house knew damn well what she was going to ask, and even selected her question to be asked well before hand. They always do. He wanted to go there. Wanted everyone to hear his prepared racism rant. Went out of his way to make sure he didn't leave the podium until she asked it so that he could spew. He couldn't help himself.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.11.09 @ 12:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The people that voted for this guy should feel like fools.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Mouthing off to a cop almost always ends up with the mouther wearing handcuffs.

Suppose it had gone down like this:

Police receive a call about a burglary in progress, two African-American males are forcing their way into a home in a nice neighborhood. Officers arrive at the address, encounter two black men inside the house. The officers ask for ID, the men refuse and call officers racist. Not wanting to cause a scene, the officers apologize and leave the home.

A few days later, Gates returns home from vacation to find his house has been robbed.

Now the cops are racist because they assumed that the black man in the home lived there instead of asking for ID.

The biggest lesson with this story is that the President decided that the police were wrong without more knowledge. The jackass even says so in the preface to his statement. Excuse me, Mr President, if you don't know the whole story, why the fuck are you saying anything other than "No comment". What other decisions is Wonder Boy making without all the facts? What a dill-hole.
    but that's not what happened. the guy was in his own home and proved just that. why is the cop wasting another second there? this, to me, sounds like a homeowner who's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder and a cop who's a damn fool. The homeowner though has every right to be a dick in this siutation. It was the cop who made this a situation by laying charges, for what? For being upset of being accused of breaking into his own home? Are you shitting me? The fact that the charges were dropped soon after tells you all you need to know about the decision that the cop made. The cop fucked up, plain and simple.

And Obama said nothing wrong, the cop did make a stupid decision pressing charges. That is proven by the fact that the charges were dropped.

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I partially agree with you. I think all parties involved had chip on their shoulders and all parties were acting stupidly. Starting with the neighbor who called the cops and didn't recognize that it was the home owner breaking in their own home. the home owner should have been cooperative and kept his mouth shut otherwise and the cop should have not gotten his panties in a twist when the rightful home owner was mouthing off to him. And Obama shouldn't have even bothered commenting on this matter at all. The story here is about ego rather than race. But that doesn't sell papers.

LV

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lacy_vious View Post
    I partially agree with you. I think all parties involved had chip on their shoulders and all parties were acting stupidly. Starting with the neighbor who called the cops and didn't recognize that it was the home owner breaking in their own home. the home owner should have been cooperative and kept his mouth shut otherwise and the cop should have not gotten his panties in a twist when the rightful home owner was mouthing off to him. And Obama shouldn't have even bothered commenting on this matter at all. The story here is about ego rather than race. But that doesn't sell papers.

LV
    i don't think Obama did much wrong though, i think what he said was more than fair when you examine the facts of this case. I think the neighbour did nothing wrong calling the police. And once the cop shows up and gets ID proving (1) it's the residence of the man who "broke in" and (2) he's a f-ing Harvord professor, that maybe a simple "sorry just doing my job have a good night" would have been in order. What did this cop think would happen when he arrested someone for no real reason? He was acting like a dick and that's not his job. He f--ked up. And I like cops but this particular one lacks the sort of judgement that needs to come with the job. I'm sure the cops boss chewed him out for a long time. It's a cops job to protect society not to be a ego driven a-hole that chrages people because he doens't like their attitude.

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

The problem with a police report is that in a conflict between a civilian and a police officer it's the police officer who gets to write the report for public record.

LV