Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Default Time to talk amps

Alright, I'm looking at an amp purchase I would say within the next 6-12 months and I've started the process of serious research. I already have an original 5150, which I love and won't ever sell, but I'm looking for a clean sound to add to my arsenal. Love the 5150 lead channel, but that's about all the amp is good at. The rhythm channel I've played with a lot too but there is no good clean in there and I'm not a big fan of medium gain crunch, at least not on my 5150. I like gain, sustain etc but I also want a real nice clean that can do jazzy stuff, bluesy stuff, and sparkly spanky stuff. I'm not a metal player either I just like both ends of the spectrum. So here's what I've researched so far:

Engl (specifically the Screamer)-beautiful cleans, 4 channels, and a gain that is quite similar to the 5150 but a bit more composed and together...all the Engl amps I've looked into so far seem quite nice actually. Their e530 preamp seems quite nice too and it is rather affordable.

Peavey 5150 II-I'm more than familiar with lead channel but I don't know much about the cleans on this amp. Having a dedicated tone stack on the rhythm channel might just be the thing I'm looking for and if the clean channel here is good then this might be my answer.

EVH 5150 III-this amp seems to cover everything I want but I would prefer to pick one up used and when the prices come down a bit, so this will have to wait.

Peavey Vypyr-I'm very wary of all the bad things I've heard about this amp...great sounds but horrible track record

Bugera-same here...some great tone to be had but questionable build quality.

Traynor YCS 50-great cleans from what I can tell but the higher gain ability is an unknown to me at this point. Affordable and versatile but I need to spend time with one.

That's about as far as I've gotten but I've only just started. As far as budget goes I think I'm comfortable up to about $1000. Used gear suits me just fine. I would consider a combo but I don't have a history of getting along with combo amps for some reason. I want a tube amp also. I've gone down the modeller road and it just didn't work for me. I love the feel of a tube amp.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

01.06.11 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Or you could just try to change the pretube that the clean channel uses to a 12at7,or a 5751,this might give you more clean headroom.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

leave the tubes on the 5150. it was meant to be that way. have you ever thought about the combo? are you looking to switch heads in and out of your rig or looking for a amp that will give you the best of both worlds?

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

There is nothing wrong with experimenting with different tubes.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

no ther istn but its not gonna make that much of a difference int eh 5150. its built to be a gain monster no if ands or buts. changing tubes is not gonna make a big difference in that head. i have tried them all in my ventures. wasnt saying you were wrong but might as well leave them tubes. also you can get a somewhat clean tone out of the amp you just gotta really back down the pre and turn up the post.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Realy,not even with say,a couple of 12au7s with a gain factor of 19? i find that hard to believe.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you may change the gain but its gonna hurt the tone. the first run 5150-'s got everything form the preamps. not so much the power amp.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

i here ya,shit all modern amps get every thing from the preamp.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    you may change the gain but its gonna hurt the tone. the first run 5150-'s got everything form the preamps. not so much the power amp.
    +1. I've tried everything from JJ's to NOS RCA to NOS Telefunken 12AT7/AU7's and many other strange combinations. The lower gain tubes in any position don't do what you would think they do... I was hoping I could get some cool tones with them, but it just made the amp sound bad.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

i guess the 5150 was just born to be a monster.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150jeff View Post
    i guess the 5150 was just born to be a monster.
    Definitely!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Alright, I'm looking at an amp purchase I would say within the next 6-12 months and I've started the process of serious research. I already have an original 5150, which I love and won't ever sell, but I'm looking for a clean sound to add to my arsenal. Love the 5150 lead channel, but that's about all the amp is good at. The rhythm channel I've played with a lot too but there is no good clean in there and I'm not a big fan of medium gain crunch, at least not on my 5150. I like gain, sustain etc but I also want a real nice clean that can do jazzy stuff, bluesy stuff, and sparkly spanky stuff. I'm not a metal player either I just like both ends of the spectrum. So here's what I've researched so far:

Engl (specifically the Screamer)-beautiful cleans, 4 channels, and a gain that is quite similar to the 5150 but a bit more composed and together...all the Engl amps I've looked into so far seem quite nice actually. Their e530 preamp seems quite nice too and it is rather affordable.

Peavey 5150 II-I'm more than familiar with lead channel but I don't know much about the cleans on this amp. Having a dedicated tone stack on the rhythm channel might just be the thing I'm looking for and if the clean channel here is good then this might be my answer.

EVH 5150 III-this amp seems to cover everything I want but I would prefer to pick one up used and when the prices come down a bit, so this will have to wait.

Peavey Vypyr-I'm very wary of all the bad things I've heard about this amp...great sounds but horrible track record

Bugera-same here...some great tone to be had but questionable build quality.

Traynor YCS 50-great cleans from what I can tell but the higher gain ability is an unknown to me at this point. Affordable and versatile but I need to spend time with one.

That's about as far as I've gotten but I've only just started. As far as budget goes I think I'm comfortable up to about $1000. Used gear suits me just fine. I would consider a combo but I don't have a history of getting along with combo amps for some reason. I want a tube amp also. I've gone down the modeller road and it just didn't work for me. I love the feel of a tube amp.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.
    If you're looking at the price range of the 5150 III and Engl, I'd suggest looking at Soldano as well. The Hot Rod 50's are great amps that cover alot of ground. Also the Soldano 44, is a great combo amp. If you're interested in Soldano's at all, talk to Lynn at Blues City Music... www.bluescitymusic.com
    He knows his stuff regarding Soldano's.

I realize new Soldano's are probably out of your range, but they are definitely worth a look.

Also the Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp in addition to your 5150. It would allow you the clean channels as well as more classic rock sounds.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    leave the tubes on the 5150. it was meant to be that way. have you ever thought about the combo? are you looking to switch heads in and out of your rig or looking for a amp that will give you the best of both worlds?
    I could go either way here. I really love the 5150 for what it does I just want a nice clean now. If it means a different amp that does everything that's cool, but I could also switch between my 5150 and some other amp just for cleans. I was also thinking of something like the new Vox Nighttrain and just using that for cleans and pushed tones then switching between that and the 5150.

Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The peavey 3120 has a great clean channel and can be had for $999.
    This amp is awesome!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The 3120 is incredibly versatile. I've jammed on one quite a bit lately, and it's really gotta be one of the better all around amps Peavey's done. on the other end, Engls are fantastic. The only consistant complaint I hear is that people don't like the way the preamp tube sockets are installed. They are very snug sockets to begin with, and their fastened to the board. This is'nt unusual, but the board is mounted in the chassis without much support and thus it flexes in a way that makes your sphincter tighten! It almost feels like the board is about to crack and supossedly if you're heavy handed it will. They may have adressed the issue by now, but over the years, product reviewers had called for a change and it went unheaded. great sounding amps though and the styling is nothing to sneeze at either.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.