Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

The Philantropist

I've been watching this new show on NBC and I think without doubt it's one of the best show on TV right now. I'm amazed at the amount of research that goes into each episode. Also James Purefoy is an amazing actor (he was already great in Rome). Basically each episode is in a different part of the world, usually a conflict zone.

Anyone with me on this one?
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I've been watching this new show on NBC and I think without doubt it's one of the best show on TV right now. I'm amazed at the amount of research that goes into each episode. Also James Purefoy is an amazing actor (he was already great in Rome). Basically each episode is in a different part of the world, usually a conflict zone.

Anyone with me on this one?
    haven't seen in...what's it about?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

http://www.nbc.com/the-philanthropist/

Filmed in South Africa, Mozambique and Prague, "The Philanthropist," starring James Purefoy ("Rome"), is an eight-part drama for NBC that follows the heroic adventures of Teddy Rist, billionaire playboy-turned-vigilante philanthropist, taking him across the globe from Haiti to Myanmar, Kashmir to Paris, Kosovo to San Diego. But the story starts off in Nigeria.

Teddy loves money, women and power, but following a severe flood in a Nigerian town, he is haunted by the memory of a young boy he rescued. Teddy is spontaneous and impulsive and quickly decides to channel his passion, power and money into helping those in need. The danger and risk to his life is the only way Teddy can feel genuinely alive and he'll do anything in order to achieve his goals and keep the adrenaline pumping; putting his business head and money-making skills to good use through bargaining with the self-righteous, making deals with drug barons, and trading with the nefarious.

But these actions are not just about helping others -- Teddy is purging his soul to help exorcise the inner demons that have been festering ever since his young son died and he lost everything he truly loved.

The pilot is written by Tom Fontana ("Homicide: Life on the Street") and is directed by Peter Horton ("Grey's Anatomy") and boasts a heady cast of established and up-and-coming talent. Purefoy takes on the lead role of Teddy Rist, Jesse L. Martin ("Law & Order") plays Teddy's business partner and friend, Phillip Maidstone, and Neve Campbell ("Burn Up") plays Olivia, Phillip's wife, who also runs the charitable foundation set up by the two billionaires.

Purefoy and Martin are supported by a fabulous lineup of names from both sides of the Atlantic including Lindy Booth ("The 4400"), Michael Kenneth Williams ("The Wire") and newcomer James Albrecht. The series is based on a concept developed by Charlie Corwin, CEO of Original Media, and Jim Juvonen.

"The Philanthropist" (8 x 60') is a Carnival Films production in association with Original Media for NBC Universal for transmission on NBC in spring '09. The executive producers are Tom Fontana, Barry Levinson, Charlie Corwin, Peter Horton, Gareth Neame and Teri Weinberg.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

sorta on that note....

Giving USA: Americans Continue Commitment to Philanthropy

In June, the Giving USA Foundation released its annual report on charitable giving. The report found a 2% decrease in giving for 2008 This is quite extraordinary considering the 2008 performance of financial markets — the total annual return of the S&P 500® was down more than 35% last year.

Giving USA also reports that for the second year in a row, Americans managed to give more than $300 billion to charitable causes in a single year, even in what has generally been regarded as the worst economic climate since the Great Depression. Clearly, people's passion for giving is still in tact, including Fidelity® Charitable Gift Fund donors.

In a recent survey, the Gift Fund found that more than half of all donors (60%) said that they plan to either maintain or increase their contributions to the Gift Fund in 2009. The majority (67%) said they planned to recommend the same amount of grants or more to charities this year.

Gift Fund donors' continued support of charitable causes is important to the future of philanthropy, and the Gift Fund is committed to helping its donors help others by making charitable giving simple and effective.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

does that count the money we gave to the banks and automakers?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    does that count the money we gave to the banks and automakers?
    yeah no joke.

As for the show...sounds interesting. may have to watch an episode.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    haven't seen in...what's it about?
    It's about an hour.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It's about an hour.

Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

and on that note:

Besides the obligatory blood and sperm bank donations; What do/have our resident 'Linkers donated/donate to your local or national charitable organizations?

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    and on that note:

Besides the obligatory blood and sperm bank donations; What do/have our resident 'Linkers donated/donate to your local or national charitable organizations?
    I used to help unwed mothers get their start.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

and on that note:

I don't give to any charity organizations. I do what I can for individuals when I hear about something going on with them.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and on that note:

I gave on an international level. I paid to work in a public clinic in Paraguay for 3 months giving immunizations, teaching health classes to kids, building gardens and painting murals. You haven't lived till you taught 12 year old boys how to put on condoms using bananas.

I also volunteered for the Red Cross. I have disaster relief training and EMT basic. I chaired an inner city youth out reach day where we bussed inner city kids to a farm for a day to experience cows and horses and chickens.

And there isn't enough room in this forum to go into all of the service projects I have done through Girl Scouts. I have both my silver and gold awards for service to the community. And when I graduated high school, my mom bought me a life time membership to the Girl Scouts as a gift. i have almost 22 years as a girl scout.

Oh, and according to Broken, I have a neurosis called "Sick Puppy Syndrome." I collect people who need help and try to fix things for them. I call it being a good friend or family member.

LV

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

The synopsis doesn't do the show justice. The production values are movie-like and the writing avoids any cookie-cutter twists like you see in other such shows. I was really pleasantly surprised by NBC picking up this show, with their dismal record in the last few years.
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

With me, I have what I call, "the curse"...

I barely survive paycheck to paycheck, yet I'm responsible, along with my mother for donating up to $300,000 a year to various 501C organizations due to the requirements of a family trust created 8 years ago...

Last season, my son's little league fields received $130k to rebuild their two fields and build new restrooms... This year, I myself have $5,000 to personally donate to any 501C organization I see fit... Thus, so far I have done the following;

PAN MASSACHUSETTS CHALLENGE TRUST $500.00
    AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY INC $350.00
    (a local) YOUTH HOCKEY ASSOCIATION INC $350.00
    NATIONAL MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS SOCIETY $1,000.00

I have a $500 repair job needed on my truck, and I can't afford to do this, but I can easily toss out $2000 to a fucking charity... Go figure... This is why I call it, "the curse"...

The ONLY positive about this (if you can call it that), is when my mother passes, I'll become head trustee, which MAY soon pay an annual salary of $80k a year to manage the trust, only if it passes probate court... As crazy as it sounds, it's almost a full time job for real to deal with all of it (a 6 million dollar trust)... However, I will not be able to afford to leave my real job due to health insurance/401k reasons...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Dude, your situation is even more complex than the plots of The Philantropist!!

That's almost a new TV show right there!
    Little Dreamer