Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Default Gary Cherone: "VHIII was not a great record"

Eat your heart out, III brigade, even the man himself admits it in a new interview to KNAC.com:

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=7114

I guess he better be wearing you know what if he ventures near 5150 again...
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

"Stranger in a strange land". Ain't that the truth! Well Gary you have more talent then Wolfgang. At least you really sung the vocals.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:21 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Sounds like Gary has a firm grasp of the obvious.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

really awesome interview. i love gary.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.30.11 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

he might have wanted to say that a long time ago. but Eddie gave him the line, "Y'know Gary.....lead singers have a way of....disappearing in this band...."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

For those of you lazy enough to click the link...

KNAC.COM: Sounds like you had some fun! And then of course there was the other band you joined! What did you learn or take away from your experience, with regards to being in Van Halen?

CHERONE: Well looking back on the three years I spent with Van Halen I guess, if I had to do it all over again I think I would have preferred to tour with them and then put out a record…it would have been a better idea to establish myself first and then hit the studio with the band. At the time it may have looked odd on paper but it actually worked live! I made a concerted effort to do the old Van Halen
    tunes that Sammy was not doing. I wanted to do the deep cuts…as a live act we did songs their fans had not heard in years! I don’t however; think we made a great record. I think their were some great ideas and some little gems but it was not a great record. I had fun but at times it was like being a stranger in a strange land.

KNAC.COM: How intimidating was it to be in the band?

CHERONE: It was very intimidating. Most of the time the criticism just rolled off my back, but if I had a bad night or my throat hurt…sometimes it would get to me but what are you gonna do? I will say, each night when we came into town I would hear the radio djs take their shots at me and the band but at the end of most of the shows the same djs would be back stage and almost apologize to me or at the very least admit that the show was way better than they had originally thought.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Gary's said all this before, more or less. One point he made in an interview a few years ago was that the record was very disjointed. And he was right; overall there was a lack of cohesiveness to III. Like he said, there were some moments and some gems, but for the most part it just didn't work.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cherone View Post
    "VHIII was not a great record"
    Well no shit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Well I haven't heard anyone else from the VH camp admit this, current or ex member. Even Mike Anthony in 02 was reluctant to speak against III, preferring to diplomatically blame Mike Post when I asked him...
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Gary is right.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Hell, "VHIII is not a great record" is a compliment to that piece of shit.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Gary's said all this before, more or less. One point he made in an interview a few years ago was that the record was very disjointed. And he was right; overall there was a lack of cohesiveness to III. Like he said, there were some moments and some gems, but for the most part it just didn't work.
    yeah there's nothing really new on this record. Gary has always maintained that

1. he wished they had toured first and THEN gone into the studio as he believes it would have helped the audience get used to the idea of a third singer AND it would have helped the band gel together to help provide the album with some focus

2. That the record was not as good as he felt it could have been precisely because the band had not come together yet

3. That he felt very awkward being in VH

What strikes me is his continued respect and modesty about everything and how he is able to give an honest opinion without digging into the gutter.

GCIACA!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Well I haven't heard anyone else from the VH camp admit this, current or ex member. Even Mike Anthony in 02 was reluctant to speak against III, preferring to diplomatically blame Mike Post when I asked him...
    I'd be interested to know if Mike was even coming to the studio daily at that point, or only coming when asked. I imagine on days Eddie didn't want him to play he wasn't even let in the door. Hard to say if he knows much about the recording process at all when he wasn't allowed to be in most of it.

Plus at that point remember he really didn't want to blame Eddie or Alex and I think everyone pities Gary Cherone. He's not made an awful lot of money since then really, 2008-9 Extreme tour aside (and even that was peanuts compared to what he was making in the 90s).

I gotta wonder if part of why Gary's more positive than the rest of us on the album is he was a bit starstruck. It's probably quite hard to say "my album with Eddie Van Halen sucked" - in the studio every day his jaw probably hit the floor with what Eddie can do because in terms of technique and instrument skill the album's as good as his best....it's just at a musical, non-technical level that Eddie screwed it up.
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ <-- visit my blog, go on!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Elfoid_TFS View Post
    I'd be interested to know if Mike was even coming to the studio daily at that point, or only coming when asked. I imagine on days Eddie didn't want him to play he wasn't even let in the door. Hard to say if he knows much about the recording process at all when he wasn't allowed to be in most of it.

Plus at that point remember he really didn't want to blame Eddie or Alex and I think everyone pities Gary Cherone. He's not made an awful lot of money since then really, 2008-9 Extreme tour aside (and even that was peanuts compared to what he was making in the 90s).

I gotta wonder if part of why Gary's more positive than the rest of us on the album is he was a bit starstruck. It's probably quite hard to say "my album with Eddie Van Halen sucked" - in the studio every day his jaw probably hit the floor with what Eddie can do because in terms of technique and instrument skill the album's as good as his best....it's just at a musical, non-technical level that Eddie screwed it up.

Somehow, I don't think Gary was starstruck...coming from a band that included Nuno, Badger and for a time Mike Mangini, I'm pretty sure he was pretty comfortable working with bad asses and superstars. This is the guy that hangs out with Brian May and who OWNED the Freddie Mercury tribute concert with his band....and remember, this is the guy that showed up at 5150 with a T-shirt that said "Who the FUCK is Eddie Van Halen?"
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

But Broken, y don't you come out straight saying "Gary is wrong." Defenders of III in da house? Anyone?
    Little Dreamer