Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

04.10.12 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default So I'm itching to try something new on my wolfgang...

Now that I got my Axis I've been really wanting to have some fun with my Peavey Wolfgang. Its the Korean Special which I got in December of 2003. I want to do a few things to it but I'm not sure exactly what will work. I definitely want to change the floyd rose on it to something better, like an OFR. Will an OFR fit without any problems?

Next thing to go would be the pickups. They don't sound as good as I want them to sound, not as clear and can get muddy at times through my 5150 combo. I will be keeping the Wolfgang tuned to Eb so I would like to try to get it to sound as close to early VH as possible with it. I was thinking of either a Seymour Duncan '59 or even the 78, or even the Frankie pickup. Hell, if you guys think the GFS VEH will do the job I'll get that too. I still haven't figured out what I want to do with the neck pickup.

And finally, I would probably want to sand this thing down and stripe it up. Duplicolor maybe?

I really want to try a lot of stuff with this guitar because I don't see myself ever selling it. So if you guys have any ideas or suggestions for me, let me know!

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:52 PM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

Hi, I can recommend Duplicolor if you're going the Franky paint route...I've done 2, one with Krylon and one with Duplicolor and the difference was profound...the colors i used were Gloss Black and Gloss White Lacquer and their Import Auto Spray called Super Red II...it was recommended on this site and works beautifully...hope this helps...
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krez5150 View Post
    Next thing to go would be the pickups. They don't sound as good as I want them to sound, not as clear and can get muddy at times through my 5150 combo. I will be keeping the Wolfgang tuned to Eb so I would like to try to get it to sound as close to early VH as possible with it. I was thinking of either a Seymour Duncan '59 or even the 78, or even the Frankie pickup. Hell, if you guys think the GFS VEH will do the job I'll get that too. I still haven't figured out what I want to do with the neck pickup.
    I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but I would NOT go the route of a '59, an OLP pickup, a Meanstreet Invader pickup, or anything that Dimarzio makes that has PAF in the name.

I would strongly suggest the GFS VEH, the GFS Cruchy PAT, the Duncan Custom Custom, or the '78 and the new EVH humbucker (which I have not tried yet, but they both sound good).

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

GFS VEH bridge and neck, and a Schaller Floyd Rose would likely fit (I believe the generic Floyd on the EXP is made to look like the Schaller). I put a USA Peavey Wolfgang trem on an EXP body and had to do some slight routing of the trem hole to allow the arm bolt to fit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

04.10.12 @ 08:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will a 42mm brass block fit into the cavity once I install the Schaller Floyd?