Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: District 9

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default District 9

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Shades of "V", ID4, and "Alien Nation".

Looks pretty cool.

um...is YouTube 'buffering' for anyone else a lot today or is it just me?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Saw the preview in front of Transformers. Looks pretty stupid to me.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Go see this movie.

Solid script. Good acting. Quality CGI.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    um...is YouTube 'buffering' for anyone else a lot today or is it just me?
    Been noticing for at least the last few days myself.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I agree, this movie is very good.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

I think this movie is good and worth seeing. If you don't like faux documentaries you might want to reconsider as that could get annoying.

I do have some problems with the movie though so I wouldn't call it a great movie. Without spoiling anything, I thought the showdown at the end was cop out b/c it lacked originally in the way the protagonist used weaponry (little too shades of iron man and transformers), come up with something unique to these aliens. The faux doc stuff was annoying to me at times, especially overdone in the beginning. I get the protagonists transformation from clueless geek to hero, but the clueless geek section of the movie was a little over the top. That combined with some of the silliness injected by the faux doc sequences and the ending took away from what could have been a fantastic picture.

Not all negatives though. I like how an alien movie finally gave us some insight on the personality of the alien species and it wasn't just a non-descript intelligent life form that didn't actually have thoughts, emotions, feelings, culture, etc. I also thought the allusions to South African apartheid were poignant.

Again, overall, definitely worth seeing.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I may have to check this one out....sounds interesting.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post
    I think this movie is good and worth seeing. If you don't like faux documentaries you might want to reconsider as that could get annoying.

I do have some problems with the movie though so I wouldn't call it a great movie. Without spoiling anything, I thought the showdown at the end was cop out b/c it lacked originally in the way the protagonist used weaponry (little too shades of iron man and transformers), come up with something unique to these aliens. The faux doc stuff was annoying to me at times, especially overdone in the beginning. I get the protagonists transformation from clueless geek to hero, but the clueless geek section of the movie was a little over the top. That combined with some of the silliness injected by the faux doc sequences and the ending took away from what could have been a fantastic picture.

Not all negatives though. I like how an alien movie finally gave us some insight on the personality of the alien species and it wasn't just a non-descript intelligent life form that didn't actually have thoughts, emotions, feelings, culture, etc. I also thought the allusions to South African apartheid were poignant.

Again, overall, definitely worth seeing.
    Good comments. I went to see the movie this weekend and I agree it was good not great. The documentary style of filming didn't bother me and I thought it was done very well for the most part. The aliens were cool too with the African tie in being a great back drop for the flick. I think the shoot em up action in the last third of the movie was perhaps too cliche but maybe a necessity to try and bring in a bigger audience by offering some cool scenes and wicked looking deaths with the alien weapons. Needless to say it leaves the door way open for a sequel.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts

Movie of the summer for sure. Saw it the other night - enjoyed every minute of it.
    That's what dreams are made of...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I saw it the other night and I couldn't suspend my belief enough to enjoy it and I thought there was a lot of unnecessary action at the end.

I like the way it was set up and it's a very bold concept, I just couldn't succumb to the premise so I wasn't able to "get in" to it.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

ABUJA, Nigeria

One of the summer's biggest blockbusters a sci-fi morality tale about aliens and apartheid is not welcome in Nigeria because of its portrayal of Nigerians as gangsters and cannibals, Nigeria's information minister said Saturday.

Information Minister Dora Akunyili has asked movie houses in the capital of Abuja to stop screening "District 9" because the South Africa-based sci-fi movie about aliens and discrimination makes Nigerians look bad.

"We have directed that they should stop public screening of the film," she said. "We are not happy about it because it portrays Nigeria in bad light."

Akunyili said she has asked Sony for an apology and wants them to edit out references to Nigeria and to the name of the main Nigerian gangster Obesandjo, whose name closely resembles that of former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo.

"We have written to the producer and distributor of the film, Sony Entertainment, expressing our displeasure and demanded an apology," she said. "We have asked that the areas where Nigeria and Obasanjo are mentioned should be edited from the film."

She and other government officials first saw the movie Wednesday during a private screening.

In one scene, Obesandjo tries to cut off and eat the arm of the film's protagonist, in an attempt to gain his supernatural powers. In others, Nigerian prostitutes are seen courting alien customers.

The film's portrayal of Nigerians has also drawn the ire of critics and bloggers, and has spawned a Facebook page called "Nigerians Offended by 'District 9,'" which had 57 members on Saturday.

Corlize Luttig, marketing manager for the South African cinema chain Ster-Kinekor, who represent Sony in South Africa, said they had no comment on the request by Akunyili. Ster-Kinekor does not distribute to Nigeria, she said.

Luttig said they were still waiting for comment from Sony's head office in Los Angeles.

"District 9" tells the story of an alien ship that mysteriously comes to hover over the South African city of Johannesburg. Its inhabitants are separated from the human population and segregated into a walled area known as District 9. But after nearly 30 years, government officials aim to relocate the extraterrestrials, with disastrous results.

The film is first feature from commercial and music-video director Neill Blomkamp, who co-wrote the script with Terri Tatchell. The film, which features a cast of mostly unknown South African actors, got its big-name backing from producer and "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson.

The film brought in some US$37 million during its U.S. debut weekend in August. In its five-week run at U.S. theaters, it has brought in an estimated US$108,000,000, according to studio estimates.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

maybe they should tell the Nigerians that if they will provide their bank account numbers, the producers will deposit the proceeds of the movie into those accounts and the Nigerians will then be allowed to keep a percentage of those proceeds...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

LOL
    Little Dreamer