Register
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

Default Any opinions/experience with Crate V100H amps?

I've got a chance to pick up a new Crate V100H half-stack at a REDICULOUSLY low price, and I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with any of Crate's latest tube amps.

I haven't played through it yet, but I'm planning on going in tomorrow or the next day to put it through some paces. But even for the price they are asking, that may not even matter.

Just curious about opinions/feedback, if anyone here has any.

Hell, worst case scenario, I could buy it and just hold it for "trade-in" value toward something else down the road...the price is THAT cheap...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    I've got a chance to pick up a new Crate V100H half-stack at a REDICULOUSLY low price, and I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with any of Crate's latest tube amps.

I haven't played through it yet, but I'm planning on going in tomorrow or the next day to put it through some paces. But even for the price they are asking, that may not even matter.

Just curious about opinions/feedback, if anyone here has any.

Hell, worst case scenario, I could buy it and just hold it for "trade-in" value toward something else down the road...the price is THAT cheap...
    you know...crate's most recent run of amps have been pretty damn good...they're a great buy at the prices they sell for. I play through a solid state one and though the distortion is among the worst I've ever heard in my life, the clean channel is absolutely stellar, which is all I use it for.

My best friend has a Crate tube amp that he picked after Billy Gibbons told him how much he liked his so I guess that should tell you something.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

Yeah Billy's hearing is totally shot.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yeah Billy's hearing is totally shot.

They are pretty good...personally I think billy's got his vintage boutique gear sitting off stage or behind his crates myself...but he has said he likes the crate tube amps.

I'll certainly never pick one over a matchless, a buddha, a good marshall or fender, or a 5150...but, for the dough...no problem.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Well, by the lack of reponses either no one around here even THINKS about Crate amps anymore (well, it IS a Van Halen message board), or this is one dog of an amp...so, here's an update:

I did end up buying the Crate V100H 100w head w/ 4x12 cabinet...for all of $275...for BOTH.

Truth be told, it IS the first "big rig" tube amp I've ever had. I've played through about half-dozen big amps over the years, but I could never justify spending $1500-2000 for a proper half-stack for myself.

And, for $275, I figured even the WORST case scenario would boil down to either

A) tear it apart and rebuild it, learning hands-on how tube amps work and modding the f*ck out of it along the way...

B) add it as a (big ass) power amp on the back side of my Line 6 Flextone III to "warm up" my sound...

or C) leave it alone, sit on it, and use it for trade value sometime later, STILL making a little $$$ in the process.

I got it home and put it through some paces, and here's what I discovered:

The clean channel IS really good. Very chimey and clear. Unfortunately, the dirty channel doesn't really seem to have anything "special" to it, though. It's not bad, but it just seems to be a "generic" distortion. It DOES have a "presence" control, which does add some color to the distortion, though.

The one thing I did notice though is that this amp seems to be very "transparent". What I mean is that each of my guitars that I've plugged in ends up having a VERY distinct, separate voice. Same way with my pedal chain. The amp seems to take a back seat to the tone/colorization of the guitar/pedals. My pedals all of a sudden have distinct sounds to them, rather than (in the past) just accenting the basic sound coming out of the amp.

Does that make any sense?

So, considering the price and number of things that I can end up doing to/with it, it really has turned out to be a "no-brainer" buy.

(and, if it's still there Saturday afternoon, I might be picking up a new Ibanez RG1550 for around $200...gotta love liquidation sales!)

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

$275 for both? That's just a stupid price. Worst case scenario you can sell the cab alone for more than that... and $200 for an RG1550 is also stupid cheap, jump on that if you can. Well done my friend.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think you made a great buy.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    $275 for both? That's just a stupid price. Worst case scenario you can sell the cab alone for more than that... and $200 for an RG1550 is also stupid cheap, jump on that if you can. Well done my friend.

The local "family-owned" music dealership in question is going from three smaller neighborhood stores to one larger "all-in-one" location. The problem is that they ordered all new inventory for the new store and changed around some of their dealer associations.

They're going to quit selling Crate (hence the absurd price on my half-stack), and one of the owner said this to me Wednesday:

"we are NOT moving ANYTHING to the new store, there's no room. Come back Saturday afternoon and I'll be GIVING AWAY whatever is left around here."

I really don't think the Ibanez will last 'til then (and I don't need ANOTHER new guitar). But, for $200, I WILL be swinging by tomorrow afternoon.

...and don't get me started on the pedal-snatching that may commence then, either...