Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default One small step for man...

I know there's a "Space" thread, but this really deserves its own thread.
    40 years ago today, man first set foot on another heavenly body. Its been so long that time has dulled some of the wonder and amazement of this event.
    Imagine the testicular fortitude it took to climb into the equivalent of a medium-sized nuclear weapon and have it explode beneath you. People forget that the US did not have a stellar track record with their rockets. They had an annoying tendency to blow up right after launch.
    Yet the Apollo astronauts went for a ride anyway, knowing that NASA had exactly ONE good test flight before manning those rockets.

Did you know...

The combined computing power in Mission Control in Houston and the various computers aboard the Saturn V was less powerful than today's average digital watch?

When Eagle landed on the Moon, they had exactly 16 seconds of fuel left?

All that separated the astronaunts in the LM from certain immediate death was 1/32 inch of foil?

I just get chills when I think of the bravery of those men, and the ingenuity of the NASA engineers who made it possible with that kind of primitive technology.
    Last edited by ChrisTheEdHead; 07.20.09 at 10:02 AM.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I get the biggest charge out of all this. I wasn't even around yet. But, Chris, you're right, these guys showed the world what tough is all about.

Today, at the very least, should be a holiday. And Armstrong & Aldrin deserve their own days too.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Those early astronauts are freaking rock stars as far as I'm concerned. It amazes me how little run these guys get today as well as how little it seems we've done since then.

The hubble is bad ass but I've always felt the space station has been very anti-climactic and that we haven't utilized the moon to the degree that perhaps we should be doing.

By the way, for anyone who hasn't seen it, Ron Howard's Apollo 13 is a magnificent movie that does a great job of describing how incredible the guys at Nasa were, how inventive, resourceful, creative, intelligent and bad ass everyone was.

There are scenes where those fuckers are doing higher level cal and physics with nothing but pencil, paper and slide rule and they're doing it faster than most of us could do regular math using a freaking calculator.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

What gets me is when they do the rollout of the shuttle and you see how few doors have to be opened for the shuttle when compared to the Saturn V rockets.

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

An awesome achievement in human history. Just wish I were born a few years earlier that I might appreciate seeing it live on TV.

Bring me Bart "Doucheface" Sibrel so I can kick him in the nads.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

40 years ago this evening my parents let me stay up to witness this event. We were listening to it on the radio as well as watching it on tv. I'll never forget the sound as people went out to their cars and started honking their horns, cheering loudly at what had just taken place.

There are a handful of worthwhile programs documenting this moment in history tonight. Check your local tv listings for them.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    I know there's a "Space" thread, but this really deserves its own thread.
    40 years ago today, man first set foot on another heavenly body. Its been so long that time has dulled some of the wonder and amazement of this event.
    Imagine the testicular fortitude it took to climb into the equivalent of a medium-sized nuclear weapon and have it explode beneath you. People forget that the US did not have a stellar track record with their rockets. They had an annoying tendency to blow up right after launch.
    Yet the Apollo astronauts went for a ride anyway, knowing that NASA had exactly ONE good test flight before manning those rockets.

Did you know...

The combined computing power in Mission Control in Houston and the various computers aboard the Saturn V was less powerful than today's average digital watch?

When Eagle landed on the Moon, they had exactly 16 seconds of fuel left?

All that separated the astronaunts in the LM from certain immediate death was 1/32 inch of foil?

I just get chills when I think of the bravery of those men, and the ingenuity of the NASA engineers who made it possible with that kind of primitive technology.

Great post.

Love those little known facts you threw out there. We tend to take everything for granted these days and when it comes to technological advancements I think we've all become numb to what's going on around us, but when you look closely at what went into this mission it really makes you step back a bit in awe of what they did and when they did it.

I was only 1 year old and obviously don't recall a thing about it, but if I could go back in time and witness any event in U.S. history this is right at the top. I can't imagine what that must have felt like being an adult of 1969 watching it all unfold on TV. Amazing.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

I was only 1 year old and obviously don't recall a thing about it, but if I could go back in time and witness any event in U.S. history this is right at the top. I can't imagine what that must have felt like being an adult of 1969 watching it all unfold on TV. Amazing.
    I wasnt even a concept yet, but I know what you mean.

Maybe we'll still be around to witness the first human landing on Mars, or better yet - the first faster-than-light launch of a space probe.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post

Maybe we'll still be around to witness the first human landing on Mars, or better yet - the first faster-than-light launch of a space probe.
    not at the rate we're going these days.

With the infantile politics surrounding nasa and its funding, the loss of balls by the organization, the government and most of the people in the country, and the fact that the folks at NASA today simply aren't as hungry and passionate as they seemed to be in the 60s, I find today to be a great opportunity to think back at what was accomplished in just a few years, while having to invent everything as they went along and what little (in comparison) has be done since. It's a great opportunity for the country to have a little gut check moment and for our society to rally around bold exploration once again.

Perhaps if the government opened up space to privately funded groups, we'd start seeing some true advancement in space exploration.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post

I agree there's more to come, but to state the obvious, 1969 was a different time and a much different country. That kind of pride and sense of accomplishment may never be felt so strongly and universally again like I imagine that moment was. Every single person glued to the TV all taking part in the same moment. Nowadays I just don't think that would happen. Damn shame, ya know?
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    not at the rate we're going these days.

With the infantile politics surrounding nasa and its funding, the loss of balls by the organization, the government and most of the people in the country, and the fact that the folks at NASA today simply aren't as hungry and passionate as they seemed to be in the 60s, I find today to be a great opportunity to think back at what was accomplished in just a few years, while having to invent everything as they went along and what little (in comparison) has be done since. It's a great opportunity for the country to have a little gut check moment and for our society to rally around bold exploration once again.

Perhaps if the government opened up space to privately funded groups, we'd start seeing some true advancement in space exploration.
    What's sad is it's like they are reinventing to wheel to get back to the moon again. Are there none of the engineers from back then they could have gone to for some help?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

I agree there's more to come, but to state the obvious, 1969 was a different time and a much different country. That kind of pride and sense of accomplishment may never be felt so strongly and universally again like I imagine that moment was. Every single person glued to the TV all taking part in the same moment. Nowadays I just don't think that would happen. Damn shame, ya know?

Oh, try to have a little faith.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

President Obama: Want to create jobs, advance technology and increase our world stature?
    LETS GO TO MARS.
    Before the next decade is out....
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel the same way about the hockey team in the 1980 Olympics, I didn't witness it firsthand. However when I hear about it I get a little sad because I don't think the pride and sense of patriotism would ever be as strong today. Think of how much greater the impact of Michael Phelps' victories may have been 25 years ago.

Okay sorry for derailing the moon thread. I just found out that NASA hold's patents for 6,300 products, I thought that was pretty interesting.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    40 years ago this evening my parents let me stay up to witness this event. We were listening to it on the radio as well as watching it on tv. I'll never forget the sound as people went out to their cars and started honking their horns, cheering loudly at what had just taken place.

There are a handful of worthwhile programs documenting this moment in history tonight. Check your local tv listings for them.
    I do not remember the first one, but I do remember a later one after the rocket launch. We lived in southern Wisconsin and I was five or six. We all were standing outside later that night. I thought I saw the rocket flying. My Mom and Dad didn't tell me any different. I realize now that what I saw was a falling star, but at the time I couldn't quit telling people that I had seen the rocket flying!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)