Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Default Florida Woman, 90, Behind the Same Wheel 559,000 Miles Later

The last time Rachel Veitch bought a car, gas cost 39 cents per gallon, Lyndon B. Johnson was in the White House and "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena" was a hit song on the radio.

Nearly 600,000 miles later, the 90-year-old Florida woman still drives her 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente every day.

Go, Granny, Go.

Veitch, of Orlando, credits her meticulous care and near-obsessive dedication to her car -- she calls it "Chariot" -- as the reason it's still turning over every morning, year after year after year. The retired nurse maintains an exhaustive collection of maintenance records and changes the oil every 3,000 miles.

"When I buy gas, I write down the mileage, the date and how many miles per gallon I got," Veitch told FOXNews.com. "I've never been a destructive person and I've just taken care of everything, except my husbands."

Veitch, a mother of four, bought "Chariot" in February 1964 from a dealer in Sanford, Fla., for $3,289. The car has outlasted her three marriages and has gone through eight mufflers, at least 17 batteries and three sets of shocks. Its odometer recently clicked 559,000 miles.

"My Chariot has never lied to me or cheated on me and I can always depend on her," Veitch said. "My last husband and I divorced in 1975 and he took the 1972 Pontiac we had and I kept Chariot. I'll bet he's traded cars half a dozen times by now and I still have my Chariot, my faithful pal."

Veitch said the classic car which boasts automatic transmission, frosty air conditioning and a "lousy" 15 miles per gallon has been featured in several car shows across the country and took her all the way to Pennsylvania in 2007 for her 70th high school reunion. Classmates and neighbors alike are sick of the same old story, she said.

"People don't want to talk to me anymore," Veitch said. "They're tired of hearing about my Chariot."

Veitch's dream car saw its lone renovation about 12 years ago, after she got a speeding ticket for going 92 mph in a 55 mph zone.

"After that, I put in cruise control," she said. "You can't hold her down, she's a feisty old girl."

The car also survived a rear-end collision while Veitch drove along I-95 in Georgia in 1980. She was not injured.

Classic car experts say the 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente would likely sell for about $3,000 in mint condition, or up to $12,000 if it was restored to new. But Veitch says she'll never sell, and she packs a .38-caliber handgun in case anyone tries to take her chariot for a ride without her.

"Somebody's going to go down with me if I get in that situation," Veitch said. "I'm not going down alone."

Veitch, who will turn 91 next month, said she last renewed her driver's license in 2003 and scoffed when officials told her she did not have to take another driving test.

"I said, 'This is ridiculous, you should be testing me," she said. "It's a lot of baloney."

With any luck, Veitch said, "Chariot" will end up in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Mich., a testament to a woman who cared for a single car for 45 years.

Asked if she considered trading in her car under President Obama's "Cash for Clunkers" program, which gives $4,500 to motorists who trade in older cars with poor gas mileage, Veitch replied: "He ain't gonna get mine. I'll die fighting for her."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,533803,00.html

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
    "I've never been a destructive person and I've just taken care of everything, except my husbands."
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

And for the entire time, her right blinker has been flashing.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Fucking hilarious, Craig!!!

she packs a .38-caliber handgun in case anyone tries to take her chariot for a ride without her.

"Somebody's going to go down with me if I get in that situation," Veitch said. "I'm not going down alone."
    I like this woman. I can hear her now trying to be carjacked: (I changed it a little bit to fit the situation) "I know what you're thinking. Did she fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .38-caliber, and will fuck you up until you're dead, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I had a 1977 Datsun F-10 wagon which my x -wife bought new and put almost 300,000 on. It wouldn't go over 60. I got rid of it because the body just disintergrated. It was my fishing car for years lots of room for gear etc.It was great on the snow too.I was sad when I junked it out.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My dad drove a 1980 Buick Skylark for freaking ever. Finally the family convinced him it was too unsafe to drive because it was so rusted out. When he finally brought the old girl the the junk yard, the guy at the lot picked it up with his fork lift and it snapped in half. Freaking classic.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Veitch's dream car saw its lone renovation about 12 years ago, after she got a speeding ticket for going 92 mph in a 55 mph zone.
    Alright! A pistol packin', lead footed 'ole blue hair!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

heeheehee...

The old lady sounds like a real piece of work!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Please note which blinker chef said it was, as when people either grow old in Florida or transplant here, I believe they get a new 'Driver's Handbook" which gives these folks tips on how to piss off other drivers. Driving in the left hand lane with the right blinker is almost a prerequisite.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

These days, most people consider themselves lucky if a new car lasts 5 to 10 years. Make it to 100,000 miles in your vehicle, and the car company might make a commercial about you.

That makes 93-year-old Rachel Veitch a notable exception. Veitch is retiring her 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente after more than 576,000 miles on the road.

"I am legally blind, so I can no longer drive my lovely Chariot," Veitch told FoxNews.com. "They don't have to take it away, I would not dream of driving that car again." The car itself is fine, but Veitch has macular degeneration in both her eyes, making her legally blind. After running a red light in March, she decided to voluntarily give up the vehicle she's been driving since Lyndon Johnson occupied the White House.

"I have taken it in stride," she said. "I don't have cancer, I don't have Lou Gehrig's disease. I am lucky."

Yet for all the miles she has put on her vehicle, it doesn't come close to the world record. The Truth About Cars blog wrote that Irv Gordon's 1966 Volvo P1800 is scheduled to reach 3 million miles this year. Gordon has held the record in the Guinness Book of World Records for most miles on a noncommercial vehicle since 1998.

Even without the world record, Vietch is fond of noting that the car has outlasted three marriages. Mechanically, it's worn through three sets of shocks, 18 batteries and eight mufflers. Veitch bought the car in February 1964 for just $3,289.

She credits the longevity to a "near-obsessive" approach to the car's maintenance. "I've never been a destructive person and I've just taken care of everything, except my husbands," she told FoxNews.

Veitch, who appeared with the vehicle on an August 2010 episode of the "Tonight Show," said she would be happy to sell the vehicle to host Jay Leno, a known car afficionado. She's not sure if Leno would be interested, but her four children, nine grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren, aren't in line.

"It wouldn't matter if they did, they're not going to get it. They couldn't take care of it like I did," she told FoxNews.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

gotta wonder if anything they build today could still be on the road 48 years from now...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

forget the life cycle of the car I was just reading something that said the average person drives for 7 YEARS beyond the time which they should have given it up

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Only in Florida...

My favorite part was at the ripe old age of 79 she was clocked doing 92 in a 55.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
    Only in Florida...

My favorite part was at the ripe old age of 79 she was clocked doing 92 in a 55.
    She thought it was 29...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    gotta wonder if anything they build today could still be on the road 48 years from now...
    highly doubtful...