Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Default Third Day

Just curious to see if anybody listens to this on here....doubt it, but thought I'd check!

Third Day is a Christian Rock band that has a lot of southern rock influence. I think Mac Powell was born and raised in Alabama, so he has that rock bloodline running through him. I kind of categorize them as a mix between Pearl Jam and the Black Crows on a lot of their stuff.

I kind of poo poo'd Christian Rock a long time ago as being extremely non edgy, bland, bubble gum happy happy kind of stuff. Third Day turned me upside down on that though. While they do have a lot of inspirational/worship type stuff, they don't seem to limit themselves to that musically, and they as a band, actually have a musical gift of creating pretty damned good rock and roll. Especially live. Extremely high quality sound for hifi buffs also.

Give a listen to tracks called "Slow Down", or "Nothing at all" for some burly rock. "Other side" or "This is who I am" for kick your teeth in/high intensity stuff (on my workout folder for the ipod). "Mama" is pretty cool southern Gospel set in a deep Pearl Jam vibe (with the obligatory Black Choir lady going completely apeshit). Then there is "Wire", a pretty solemn and catchy chorused song about playing live. The album "wire" is my fav.

Anyways, I just got done with a road trip where I explored the catalog pretty extensively. They've been around forever, so I can't believe I'm just now starting to groove to em'. I guess I just had them stereotyped in my mind as just another wannabe Christian Rock band. I was way off.

I went to one of their shows not long ago with great seats (Bass player kicked me in the head ). One of the better concerts I've ever seen.

Anybody else, Christian or not, given them a good turn?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Somewhere, I have their debut on cassette (it's been awhile), and I thought it was really, really good. I remember a song called "Thief" that was especially inspiring. I was probably a better Christian then, and I haven't listened to them in years. I should check out more of their stuff. Good call, seenbad.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Red, that's the one with the hippie bus on the front I think, right? Good album. Nothing at all and Mama are on that one.

Do yourself a favor and go pick up their new one, Revelation. I will guarantee there are about 5 songs on there that will make you spin it over and over. If you liked the first one, Revelation is kind of a trip back to the southern rock roots that they started with in their debut.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Red, that's the one with the hippie bus on the front I think, right? Good album. Nothing at all and Mama are on that one.

Do yourself a favor and go pick up their new one, Revelation. I will guarantee there are about 5 songs on there that will make you spin it over and over. If you liked the first one, Revelation is kind of a trip back to the southern rock roots that they started with in their debut.
    Yes, that's the one, with the bus. There's another song called "Blackbird", and the lyrics obviously point toward the Crowes. "Holy Spirit" is a jam as well.

Now I'll have to go dig out my old cassette deck and see if it eats the tape! And I'll look for Revelation as well; I could use the message. Thanks for the tip.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Third Day is great, Seen. I really dig Mac Powell's voice. They have a great sound.

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I actually only got into Third Day in the last couple years. I actually wasn't a fan of Mac's voice. One day, it just didn't matter anymore.

Saw them last year with Jars Of Clay, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and Switchfoot. They were great.

Fave TD song: "The Creed".

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

11.19.16 @ 03:37 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Was with them for a one off show last week in Knoxville, TN. Solid. Good guys.
    VAN HALEN...ROCK ON

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Was with them?? What does that mean? You got to play with them??