Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Default Universal Health Care

Saw an interesting video today, and thought I would share.

It is basically a short video on someone trying to go to the doctor in Canada. Scary stuff.

http://www.pjtv.com/video/Louder_Wit...etter%3F/2153/

And when it comes down to people not being able to afford health care, here is a great video from the video site of a magazine I subscribe to, Reason:

http://reason.tv/video/show/get-some

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

LMFAO!!!! Ok...credibility gone on this one. You can't go to Quebec and represent that as Canadian Health Care. LMAO!!!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Ah, man, you probably have "hey man" going out of his gourd right now trying to figure out another alias...

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:23 AM
    Liked 6,668 Times in 3,696 Posts

yeah, that's a real objective article.

here's a tip to those looking for a peak at the Canadian medical system, don't be an egostical english speaking A-hole in Quebec and think you're gonna get help. I've never had trouble getting a doctor.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    That video is my Dad to a "T".
    Just go for it!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    lol thats great
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    yeah, that's a real objective article.

here's a tip to those looking for a peak at the Canadian medical system, don't be an egostical english speaking A-hole in Quebec and think you're gonna get help. I've never had trouble getting a doctor.
    Well I said it was interesting, I didn't say it was gospel.

I admit I do not know much about Canada, but if I remember the video correctly, didn't the guy speak French as well? I remember him speaking French to the lady whose mom had her legs amputated.

I guess my question would be, since I know you live in Canada, is the video made up, or is it just the fact that it is the French-speaking province?

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:27 AM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

I don't care what language they speak. That health care system sucked something awful.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Last Online

Premium Member

BTW, the second video is much shorter and from a different source, and it is about health care affordability.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Well I said it was interesting, I didn't say it was gospel.

I admit I do not know much about Canada, but if I remember the video correctly, didn't the guy speak French as well? I remember him speaking French to the lady whose mom had her legs amputated.

I guess my question would be, since I know you live in Canada, is the video made up, or is it just the fact that it is the French-speaking province?
    I know u said it was interesting, my rolling eyes were aimed at the dufus in the video not at you.

i don't know if the video is made up - it might be.

Is is possible that this town in Quebec where he was has a pretty crappy hospital? Sure, I guess. Have I heard of lineups at emergency wards being crazy at times even here? Yup. I think some Canadians (and this is the major problem with universal health care) have this mistaken belief that it's "free" health care. So you'll get people showing up at the emergency room for no real reason at all. If you get a lot of these people at once you get a situation where the triage nurse has to give people priority. So that means that the guy who hurt his wrist is gonna have to wait a long time to see an emergency room doctor. I'm fine with this. Most straght thinking people will wrap it at home and go see their doctor in the morning. At least that's my I do. The emergency room is for just that, emergencies.

At the end of the day people need to realize that universal health care isn't some miracle cure. It's not perfect. It's basically one health care company running the country. So you get major savings on some costs through economies of scale. Your doctors won't make as much money as they would stateside in many instances. The rich (top 10%) get better care in the States then they would here (actually the rich probably just hire their own personal doctors here too), I would guess the bottom 25% of society (income wise) are much better off here than in the staes. The 65% or so in the middle probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference - from what I've read it's a bit better here for most of those people but nothing I would be screaming about if I were in the States. Probably depends on your health care provider - I imagine some are better than others. Samn here, some cities have better access than others. This video looks like they picked one of the most (not by accident i iamgien) and Michael Moore picks the best in his examples. It's not what Michael Moore makes it out to be and it sure as hell isn't what the guy in the video is trying to make it out to be.

If I were starting a new country I would have a hybrid system that provided universal health care but had some sort of user fee that kept people out of the doctor's office 24/7.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The system is by no stretch of the imagination perfect. What I do know is that in my 39 years I have: ripped open my knee and had knee surgery. Had my other knee exploded by a football helmet and had knee surgery on it. I have a minor heart condition but in order to determine what the issue was I had a battery of tests including multiple EKG's etc., I have broken 7 ribs, had a hydrocele on my testicle which required multiple ultra-sounds and multiple trips to the hospital for treatment (don't ask,) when I was very young I had a bowel issue that required bi-weekly hospital visits, I had a lisp that resulted in me going to speech therapy for a couple of years when I was 5 and 6, a few weeks back my pregnant girlfriend blacked out and wiped out on a sidewalk taking half of the side of her face off (any of my friends here that are also Facebook friends can check out the pictures) and we rushed her to the emergency room. Within 3 minutes of arriving we were in Labour and Delivery while 3 doctors checked her to ensure the baby was unhurt. I could go on and on but those are the big items. Oh...let's not forget the birth of my son and all the pre and post-natal care.

Looking at the list 2 things come to mind. Firstly it sounds like I am a pretty messed up person! LOL! Secondly I have paid exactly $0 for any of that treatment. And no I didn't wait 6 months for any of that treatment.

The fact is the Canadian system works quite well...in Canada. Our system as it stands could not be simply lifted and implemented in the U.S. The people in the U.S. that want universal health care are going to continue to point out the great things about our system and the people that don't want it are going to continue to point out the negatives. The system that will work for such a large population base as the U.S. has not been created yet and there lies the challenge.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I often hear about the whole "the US is too big" argument.

What am I missing? The population is much larger than Canada or the countries in Europe and yes that means that there would be more people availing themselves of the system but that also means there are more people paying into the system.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I often hear about the whole "the US is too big" argument.

What am I missing? The population is much larger than Canada or the countries in Europe and yes that means that there would be more people availing themselves of the system but that also means there are more people paying into the system.
    The US isn't too big. The US just might be too far along the private road to be able to switch it over without great difficulty though.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I know u said it was interesting, my rolling eyes were aimed at the dufus in the video not at you.

i don't know if the video is made up - it might be.
    Okay good, lol. Just makin' sure.

Interesting points, btw.

The 2nd video, the one from Reason.Tv, to me, is actually the more interesting one. It is also simple: Get Insurance.

I pay for simple coverage that costs me $150 or so a month. I have a copay of $35 for any visit at pretty much any doctor I want to go to, and most medicine costs me $10 or less per fill.

Now, a friend of mine works labor, and says he can't afford health insurance. We got into a HUGE argument over this. What it comes down to, though, is that he chooses to spend his money elsewhere. He spends $5 a day on smokes. That is $140 a month. Sorry, but he CAN afford health insurance.

Another friend of mine makes pretty damn good money, and complains she can't afford insurance. Except that she supports her boyfriend, they live in a really nice apartment, and she probably spends $60 a month on alcohol, and about $5 a day, or $140, on cigarettes. Again, she CAN afford insurance.

How many people could buy cheaper clothes, or have bought a cheaper car, or live in a cheaper place, and afford health care? How about not paying for cable?

Of COURSE I know that there are many that cannot afford it. However, there are programs in place for children, the poor, and the elderly already. We also pay higher taxes to treat immigrants who are here illegally at the ER.

I think with a universal plan, we are treating the symptom and not the disease, if you excuse the pun.