Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Default Old dog, new tricks?

Not for the first time, I'm entertaining thoughts of learning the guitar. I bought a electric 'starter kit' several years back and tried the 'learn by google approach'. It failed miserably, the guitar was a little bit shit, I had no real way to measure progress so I got increasingly disinterested and it was off to the pawn store after a few fairly unimpressive months of twanging.

Few of the guys I work with recently decided to just start informally jamming with each other occasionally, watching them having fun lit the idea back up in my head, so I'm considering having another crack, but doing it a bit different this time

-I'll look into getting some lessons to show me where to go, what to do (and not to do) and give me some to measure of progress (or otherwise). Seems a no brainer really. WIth age comes wisdom, as well as kilograms, apparantly.

-Try and keep a proper practice schedule. I've read 5x30 minutes per week should be a target, and that would be do-able for me I think.

-Thinking of starting with an acoustic this time, I'll probably get a better learner guitar for my money, It's aways ready to play when I have free time, and the lure of buying an electric once (if!) I start to get anywhere might act as extra motivation. I'll bring along one of the guys from work when I make my purchase at a proper music store this time insteads of going 'OOH EBAY SUPA CHEAP'. I'm budgeting up to $400 au - around 300-320 $US I think for the guitar.

On the flip side, I'm two weeks from turning 38, have never had any proficency on any musical instrument, nor does anyone in my family, we seem to have had our musical genes bashed out of us at a very early branch of the family tree.

So.. given all that, anything I need to consider, any suggestions, any ideas of what to expect, are much appreciated!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

it seems really stupid but ask as many people who play guitar their opinions, take them to music stores with you, get them to play the gear you're interested in and also play/hold/feel them for yourself, even if you cannot play a single note!...the size and feel of the neck with be important in developing your playing...it must be comfortable. ask people at the stores stupid questions, if they take the time to answer them, they could be considered proffesionals, if they skirt around your questions, walk away and find someone else.
    dont buy something because of 'the name' or because it 'looks nice'...quite often they turn out to be bags of turd!

once you start learning be prepared for good and bad days, sometimes you will make huge improvements, others you will feel like giving up, but don't, even those of us whom have been playing for over 20yrs have those days.
    be patient it will come in time my friend.

and congratulations, welcome to the club...it's fun being a member!

Tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Never too late to learn. You don't have to break the bank on an instrument, but if you buy a total piece of shit you will probably give up rather quickly. A poor instrument makes it extremely difficult to enjoy playing and improvement happens very slowly if the instrument is getting in the way rather than helping.

Lessons are a good idea for a beginner. There is so much to learn and so much info out there, it's good to have someone who can break it down into smaller more manageable chunks so you don't get frustrated.

Don't worry about how good you are or comparing yourself to others (I'm still trying to get a handle on this one myself). If you are having fun and feel that you are slowly and steadily improving, that's all that matters really.

Did I mention to have fun? Playing guitar is the second most fun thing I do. I try to play each and every day even if it's only for a little bit. It really is a blast once you start to get a little bit proficient. Good luck and enjoy! Start hanging out in the guitar room too, you will learn a lot from everyone in here, and it's a great forum.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goo View Post
    Not for the first time, I'm entertaining thoughts of learning the guitar. I bought a electric 'starter kit' several years back and tried the 'learn by google approach'. It failed miserably, the guitar was a little bit shit, I had no real way to measure progress so I got increasingly disinterested and it was off to the pawn store after a few fairly unimpressive months of twanging.

Few of the guys I work with recently decided to just start informally jamming with each other occasionally, watching them having fun lit the idea back up in my head, so I'm considering having another crack, but doing it a bit different this time

-I'll look into getting some lessons to show me where to go, what to do (and not to do) and give me some to measure of progress (or otherwise). Seems a no brainer really. WIth age comes wisdom, as well as kilograms, apparantly.

-Try and keep a proper practice schedule. I've read 5x30 minutes per week should be a target, and that would be do-able for me I think.

-Thinking of starting with an acoustic this time, I'll probably get a better learner guitar for my money, It's aways ready to play when I have free time, and the lure of buying an electric once (if!) I start to get anywhere might act as extra motivation. I'll bring along one of the guys from work when I make my purchase at a proper music store this time insteads of going 'OOH EBAY SUPA CHEAP'. I'm budgeting up to $400 au - around 300-320 $US I think for the guitar.

On the flip side, I'm two weeks from turning 38, have never had any proficency on any musical instrument, nor does anyone in my family, we seem to have had our musical genes bashed out of us at a very early branch of the family tree.

So.. given all that, anything I need to consider, any suggestions, any ideas of what to expect, are much appreciated!
    Hey man! Cool!

I'm teaching a guy in my spare time who just started at 34 years-old. He's been at it over a month now and is doing really well. You're plan above is very realistic and you'll be able to be decent and have some fun if you stick to that regimen.

Regarding guitars. I still recommend an electric for a beginner. I helped the guy I mentioned above pick out a sweet Laguna Guitar for $US 250. I personally think they are excellent guitars for price (plus they look pretty cool). You'll have a lot more flexibility in learning a variety of fundamental techniques versus an acoustic.

http://www.playlaguna.com/home.cfm

Good luck man!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

If you're going to be playing electric stuff, buy electric. My older brother played guitar since he was really young and taught me a few things and I pretty much learned everything else by myself. Heck, these days with Youtube and whatnot, it's really easy to learn stuff. Once you learn the A,B,C,D,E,F chords and the powerchord, you're halfway there. Plus you can get a pretty good guitar for $400 (US) if you shop around. The starter pack Squire type stuff is really not worth getting. It's really cheap. You can get a much better axe for a few more bucks.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Never too late to learn. The keys to actually learning and getting better is truly having a strong interest in it, practicing and taking it serious. If you do this you may get frustrated at points but usually great frustration is followed by a breakthrough in understanding or technical ability(if you stick to it). Just know it will take time but as you know in life time flies. No reason why you won't be able to play some standard tunes within a few months, much better in a year or so and if you truly practice and are into it even play VH "well" in a couple years. By well I mean with nuance and feeling and not just awkwardly plodding through the basic riffs. It may take longer for leads of that level but that would come in time too. Some people learn and take to things faster than others so you may be even quicker but I think thats a reasonable time line if you stick to it. It's like anything else. If you apply yourself you will excel in time if you do it half assed you won't.

Don't be intimidated and think you need to be at a certain level at a certain time. Don't be discouraged by someone younger or someone playing for less time who's "better". If you love it and work at it you can achieve your guitar goals. I assume your goals are to be able to play the guitar and music you enjoy well and have fun doing it. Easily achievable if you apply yourself. I highly suggest you take lessons even if it's once every two weeks. A great teacher can really help out a lot especially when you are getting started.
    Maybe someone here knows of a great teacher near you.

All the best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement guys - as luck has it there was a catalog from a local music store in my mail today, so I have been browsing a round a bit through that.

Best part is they do guitar lessons there at pretty good rates, and have several tutors so if you are not really happy with things you can easily try a different guy.

So dropped them an email for details and I'll go over for a looksee on the weekend and see how things pan out.

Anything I should be thinking about in the meantime, let me know!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Goo:

I have 40-plus students I teach weekly at a music store here in Minneapolis. I have students from all walks of life, and all ages. While I do think it's easier to learn at a young age (patience and physical ability are generally more flexible), I've seen some remarkable progress from my adult students--a couple of them in their 50s.

I do agree the Google/YouTube approach to learning initially is not a good idea. Videos and whatnot are helpful if you're attempting to learn a song or something, but to get the fundamentals down you really do need quality instruction. Yes, it's about learning what you should do; but it's more so you can learn what NOT to do. Bad technique and habits will kill you in the long run, so it's good to have someone helping set you straight right away.

I think that every student of the guitar should learn some of the basics of music reading right away, and in all forms for the guitar--standard notation, charts, and tab. You're laying a foundation that will allow you to progress to any area you choose, and by learning how to read and understand music you're also teaching yourself how to practice. That is, how to learn to work through something you don't know--which also serves as an incredible confidence builder on the instrument. I recommend seeking out a teacher who works with all these things right away. If you're reading music, charts, and tab all within the first few weeks of lessons, you're off to a good start. A multi-faceted approach of breaking your lesson and practice time into two or three segments with different things to work on will help you develop all these things simultaneously and keep your work on the guitar interesting. And if you're practicing 30 minutes five times a week, you should be able to handle it.

Good luck!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member

Was speaking to my boss last night - his kids teach music, so I asked him for a good place to look for lessons - he could only suggest looking in the local suburban newspapers. SO had a browse but no luck.

Then I looked through a pile of junk mail and whaddaya know, a local music stores having a 'spend your tax refund' sale. Check out the website, they do in house tuition, and have 3 guitar teachers, and if you don't think things are working out they are happy to try and accomodate you with another one. Sounds promising.

Sooo.. update..

SO I wander in tonight to scope it out. These kinda places are intimidating to me - music stores either seem stuffy, or they are full of dudes that give out an aura of wanting no truck with learners. Was pleasantly suprised, staff were friendly, helpful, no pressure or bullshit at all. Showed me a few guitars priced for noobs, and discussed the tuition with them. One of the guys was very good with learners, and gave a good solid broad grounding. They told me this - I didn't need to ask. Good sign.

So in the end I purchased a guitar (Squier bullet strat.. worked on the theory 'show me what you recommend for a beginner, then picked the mid range one!' VERY scientific. Hey it works for chinese banquets!!) and more importantly booked myself a block of ten lessons with the dude thats good with learners. I looked into the lagunas but they dont seem to be very prevalent down here. Must not like being played upside down or something?

So August 1 the adventure begins...

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Welcome to the club, Goo!!
    The only suggestion I would make that hasnt been covered would be to take your new ax in to the shop and have them do a complete setup on it, specifically get the string height set as low as you can. That will make it a LOT easier starting off, plus your guitar will sound better and make YOU sound better, thus encouraging you to pick it up more.
    Also...practice slowly, but perfectly. You are developing "muscle memory", so you want to have the correct technique from the beginning. Its much easier to learn it slowly and correctly than trying to play at full speed and developing bad habits. And once you have it down perfect at 1/2 speed, its not hard to speed it up.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

So in the end I purchased a guitar (Squier bullet strat.. worked on the theory 'show me what you recommend for a beginner, then picked the mid range one!' VERY scientific. Hey it works for chinese banquets!!) and more importantly booked myself a block of ten lessons with the dude thats good with learners. I looked into the lagunas but they dont seem to be very prevalent down here. Must not like being played upside down or something?

great choice of beginner guitar my friend, they're dead easy to play and if, later down the road, you decide to mod it or learn how to set-up a guitar , they are perfect....real simple to play about with.
    i wish you the best of luck my friend and enjoy the ride.

Tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't hesitate to kick the teacher to the curb if you think you're not learning enough or if he's not working for you.

So many people end up with half-ass "teachers" who are nothing more than hack players who can't get a gig and decide that they'll earn their coke money teaching lessons.

Be sure you're good with the guy, that he speaks on a level you are comfortable with and that the lesson is about YOU and not about watching him play arpeggios and two-handed tapping runs.

A good guitar teacher is a rare bird indeed but when you find one, cherish it and enjoy it because a good teacher can make all the difference in the world.

As for the guitar you chose, I echo the positve sentiments.

Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask any questions around here!

Congratulations on taking the leap!!!!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Was speaking to my boss last night - his kids teach music, so I asked him for a good place to look for lessons - he could only suggest looking in the local suburban newspapers. SO had a browse but no luck.

Then I looked through a pile of junk mail and whaddaya know, a local music stores having a 'spend your tax refund' sale. Check out the website, they do in house tuition, and have 3 guitar teachers, and if you don't think things are working out they are happy to try and accomodate you with another one. Sounds promising.

Sooo.. update..

SO I wander in tonight to scope it out. These kinda places are intimidating to me - music stores either seem stuffy, or they are full of dudes that give out an aura of wanting no truck with learners. Was pleasantly suprised, staff were friendly, helpful, no pressure or bullshit at all. Showed me a few guitars priced for noobs, and discussed the tuition with them. One of the guys was very good with learners, and gave a good solid broad grounding. They told me this - I didn't need to ask. Good sign.

Awesome, Goo. Congratulations! Now you only need three things to make this venture into guitar playing successful: patience, patience, and patience.

Enjoy it!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Awesome, Goo. Congratulations! Now you only need three things to make this venture into guitar playing successful: patience, patience, and patience.

Enjoy it!
    And practice, practice, practice...
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Stick with it and don't get discouraged expecting immediate major results. You know the magic of music as it appears you love music and guitar. Even if it's slow going, remind yourself that you are step by step peeling away the mystery of music and guitar and one day you'll surpass your expectations. Really bro it's not that hard you just have to stick to it. Looks like you are going about it the right way. All the best to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]