Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Amazon River Finally Dated

Yep, it's 11 million years old:

http://news.aol.com/article/amazon-r...s-old%2F563934

Although it doesn't look a day over 9 million.

They went to a lot of work to determine the age by drilling. I mean, I've dated AND drilled a couple of Amazon in my day. I just bought them drinks and restrained myself from making basketball jokes.

Uhthangkyaverymuuch...remember to tip your waitress.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Don't think of it as old.....think of it as experienced.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

nope...no way. I have it on the word of a bunch of baptists and other protestant christian groups that the amazon can not be more than 6000 years old.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

Somebody right now send this link to Le Car so when he gets in a discussion about the bible not being accurate, he can actually refer to an actual link.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Somebody right now send this link to Le Car so when he gets in a discussion about the bible not being accurate, he can actually refer to an actual link.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    nope...no way. I have it on the word of a bunch of baptists and other protestant christian groups that the amazon can not be more than 6000 years old.
    reminds me of a bill hicks bit where someone tells him the earth is 10,000 yrs old. when he asks how is that, the bible thumper says theyve added up the ages of everyone in the bible since adam, and its roughly 10,000 years. hard to argue with that kinda research. one word: dinosaur!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sisca View Post
    reminds me of a bill hicks bit where someone tells him the earth is 10,000 yrs old. when he asks how is that, the bible thumper says theyve added up the ages of everyone in the bible since adam, and its roughly 10,000 years. hard to argue with that kinda research. one word: dinosaur!
    nope...there are dinosaurs in the bible. Man and dinosaur lived during the same time. God just didn't choose them to go on the ark.

seriously.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 191 Posts

Source?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The Amazon has hit Super-Cougar status....
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by E-roc View Post
    Source?
    any number of anti-evolution preachers, sunday school teachers, books, documentaries, websites and individuals.

In fact, it's funny this topic comes up because there are two really good documentaries making the rounds right now on cable. One of them covers specifically the intelligent design community. Without passing any judgement or even narrating, the camera sits in on sunday school classes, church retreats, sermons and lectures where the speakers cite facts from the bible dating the world between 6,000 and 10,000 years old and that the whole of creation happened in that time span. They have timelines from the first day of creation all the way up today. They show dinosaurs and humans co-mingling and they explain that god's creation cycle consisted of 6 24-hour days. Fascinating stuff...or absolutely retarded depending on how you look at it.

I completely disagree with this theory but I still find it very interesting.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

I still want to know how they can figure out how old something is when no one documented when it was created? Yeah, yeah, "carbon dating" and all. I mean, we can tell a '57 Chevy is 42 (or 43) years old because we know it was made in '57 (or '56), but how do we know when a river started flowing?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 191 Posts

The answers are out there:
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal.../409466a0.html
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html

As for the Amazon, I'm just glad to to see she finally went out. I tried to date her for years.
    Last edited by E-roc; 07.16.09 at 07:14 AM.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

"The oldest rocks which have been found so far (on the Earth) date to about 3.8 to 3.9 billion years ago (by several radiometric dating methods)..."

ok, but how do we know those radiometric dating methods are accurate if there is no benchmark by which to compare them? How do we know that when the earth was molten and/or frozen that things aged at the same rate they do now? How do we know that once something hits a certain length of time (say 1,000,000 years) that that doesn't change the rate of aging? We are but mortals, we don't know everything. Not everything fits into a constant pattern just because we want it to. Same way we say "there can't be life on planet x because there's no oxygen or it's too cold or it's too hot" - we just don't know. There may not be life as found on earth that requires oxygen and a set temperature range to survive, but that doesn't mean there isn't some other creature out there in space that can and does survive in very different atmospheric conditions. It's nice to speculate on how old the earth might be and all that, but when the answers are coming from humans who are just as flawed as I am and have no known benchmark to go by, I can't help but take it with a grain of salt.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    "The oldest rocks which have been found so far (on the Earth) date to about 3.8 to 3.9 billion years ago (by several radiometric dating methods)..."

ok, but how do we know those radiometric dating methods are accurate if there is no benchmark by which to compare them? How do we know that when the earth was molten and/or frozen that things aged at the same rate they do now? How do we know that once something hits a certain length of time (say 1,000,000 years) that that doesn't change the rate of aging? We are but mortals, we don't know everything. Not everything fits into a constant pattern just because we want it to. Same way we say "there can't be life on planet x because there's no oxygen or it's too cold or it's too hot" - we just don't know. There may not be life as found on earth that requires oxygen and a set temperature range to survive, but that doesn't mean there isn't some other creature out there in space that can and does survive in very different atmospheric conditions. It's nice to speculate on how old the earth might be and all that, but when the answers are coming from humans who are just as flawed as I am and have no known benchmark to go by, I can't help but take it with a grain of salt.
    but how old is that grain of salt?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Dinosaurs did not exist! Satan put those bones in the earth to make people doubt the Bible.

There are people who actually believe that. I am NOT one of them. OK, maybe God created the earth in 6 days. Who's to say that God's day is 24 hours? He's GOD, for crying out loud. One of those days could be a few years to us. Who knows? Maybe it's all creation myth. Adam and Eve? I think it's a myth people made up to explain pain in childbirth. I mean, how elaborate is the Greek myth about Persephone to explain why we have four seasons?

Who was around to witness the story of Adam and Eve and write it all down? No one. I've had people ask me, "Don't you believe that God could speak thru someone else as they wrote the words of the Bible?" Sure I do. And don't you believe that some people snuck their own shit in there, too? Of course they did. Do you really think God gives a rat's ass whether a woman has long hair or not? I'm sure He's got other things more pressing. You just can't take EVERY word of the Bible literally. Of course, there are those that do, and they always have to explain themselves and refute irrefutable facts. Sorry, that's not working for me.

Here's the main thing if you're Christian: John 3:16. Here's the main thing if you're human - Christian or otherwise: Treat others the way you want to be treated. You will find the Golden Rule in ANY peaceful religion out there, or something darn close to it.

So, the Amazon river is 11 million years old, eh? Cool.
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007