Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default Quotes from Guitar Player Article

I meant quotes....

GP: What about Michael? He seems to have gotten a bad rap in the bass community for being an invisible support guy?

SH: Hey, when Eddie plays all these different parts, he's going "okay Mike you just go boom boom boom boom boom" It's true . There's no other place to play. Also, Alex is a great drummer but he's real basic and solid. Chad is complex and all over the place. So when Mike played with Chad, he was all over the place with him.

GP: What's the main difference between writing with Joe and working with EVH?

SH: It was much harder in VH, because when Eddie would play me a song, it was hard to find a place to sing. Joe can play all over the place but he realizes you have to leave room for a melody line. Eddie didn't think. He was writing entire pieces within a single guitar part - complete instrumentals- and there wasn't a hole anywhere. So what I really learned from my 10 years in VH was to find places to sing without clashing with - or doubling- the guitar part. I had to go way up high and hold notes, because down below the music was so busy. Eddie was on his own trip back then. He really didn't give a crap about what anybody was singing and as a result, VH had a sound where the guitars and the vocals were clearly separated. With Jow however, the vocals and the bass and drums for that matter- can coexist in an almost organic way.

Last Online

10.24.09 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Waaa. Waaa. Waaa. Sam needs to STFU already.

BTW, I read the entire article last night. I still can't understand why Sammy just can't let go.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

I think even some of Sammy's most loyal followers here are thinking "What the fuck Sammy?" Saying that Alex is basic is almost as bad as Eddie curing cancer.

All I know is that when the songwriting tandem of Joe Satriani and Sammy Hagar can put out an album half as good as 5150 or Balance, then he can start ripping on Eddie's songwriting approach.

This is like Oasis ripping on the Beatles approach to songwriting

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.07.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy has a serious case of "second-wife" syndrome. Eddie's back with Roth and he just needs to get over it and move on. Chickenfoot is a great band with a great new album that can stand all on it's own. I prefer it over any Van Hagar album. They're not doing any VH material on tour and they should follow suit with their interviews and not talk about VH. Van Hagar is over. Van Halen with Michael Anthony is over. Chickenfoot is here and is an amazing band. Enjoy it and focus on that.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by misterdetail View Post
    Sammy has a serious case of "second-wife" syndrome. Eddie's back with Roth and he just needs to get over it and move on. Chickenfoot is a great band with a great new album that can stand all on it's own. I prefer it over any Van Hagar album. They're not doing any VH material on tour and they should follow suit with their interviews and not talk about VH. Van Hagar is over. Van Halen with Michael Anthony is over. Chickenfoot is here and is an amazing band. Enjoy it and focus on that.
    What no STFU?!?

Well said, and I agree 100%. The part about it being better than any Sam era VH I'm not so sure about though. Still it's a fantastic album. The live show (fingers crossed) should be even better.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

To get away from the predictable line of thought that usually accompanies these threads (Sam needs to STFU), as a songwriter, Hagar does have a point. By and large, when it comes to most things (including song composition), guitarists are self-centered nimrods. This dubious quality extends to where they stand on stage, the lighting used, the volume they play at and most of all, their actual playing itself. The "Look at me!" baloney gets old very quickly, yet never as fast as it does when the band is attempting to throw some actual songs together.

Put in this context, it is easy to understand Hagar's frustration in trying to come up with melodic ideas and lyrical concepts to sing over Edward Van Halen's ideas. Look at "Baluchitherium" from Balance. No shit, it is a rather dull exercise to listen to without words, yet have you ever taken a shot at coming up with any, let alone a harmonic line to shout over it? In a nutshell, you can see what Hagar had to deal with. For the guy to team up with a guitarist with an innate understanding of the principles of songwriting must indeed feel refreshing.

And in describing the craft of songwriting, Hagar is describing his work, his job if you will. Yep, everyone has gripes about work. So once again, if put in the proper context, Hagar is not taking potshots at the ever so precious and therefore vulnerable Edward Van Halen, he's speaking about a former occupation.

Given these parameters, it isn't Hagar that needs to shut up. In truth, it is the so-called guitar gods out there (along with their apologists) that could benefit tremendously by actually listening to what the guy has to say.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    To get away from the predictable line of thought that usually accompanies these threads (Sam needs to STFU), as a songwriter, Hagar does have a point. By and large, when it comes to most things (including song composition), guitarists are self-centered nimrods. This dubious quality extends to where they stand on stage, the lighting used, the volume they play at and most of all, their actual playing itself. The "Look at me!" baloney gets old very quickly, yet never as fast as it does when the band is attempting to throw some actual songs together.

Put in this context, it is easy to understand Hagar's frustration in trying to come up with melodic ideas and lyrical concepts to sing over Edward Van Halen's ideas. Look at "Baluchitherium" from Balance. No shit, it is a rather dull exercise to listen to without words, yet have you ever taken a shot at coming up with any, let alone a harmonic line to shout over it? In a nutshell, you can see what Hagar had to deal with. For the guy to team up with a guitarist with an innate understanding of the principles of songwriting must indeed feel refreshing.

And in describing the craft of songwriting, Hagar is describing his work, his job if you will. Yep, everyone has gripes about work. So once again, if put in the proper context, Hagar is not taking potshots at the ever so precious and therefore vulnerable Edward Van Halen, he's speaking about a former occupation.

Given these parameters, it isn't Hagar that needs to shut up. In truth, it is the so-called guitar gods out there (along with their apologists) that could benefit tremendously by actually listening to what the guy has to say.
    Interesting take on it and I can appreciate it. However, I listened to 0U812 and 5150 and if you listen to many of the songs Eddie is laying back during the verse and chorus parts. I think Sam has selective memory of his past job.

Listen to Finish what you started, black and blue, mine all mine, when it's love, best of both worlds, love walks in, why can't this be love....

All of those songs have tons of room for Sammy to sing. These a re just few examples. If anyone wants to complain about having a hard time writing with Eddie and his music should be Dave. Those older albums were the epitome of overplaying and guitarist attention syndrome.

This might be subjective but it's my opinion. I think Sammy just likes to put down his former employer rather than take the high road and say they are both great song writers and then talk about the virtues of Joe.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Totally agree, I tell you what it is ! for a fact. I have noticed the bitter fan syndrome with the disgruntled VH fans. I don't know of any other band that has more fan bitterness than " some" of the VH fans. They have been drug through the mud thanks to ED and his " yes " drum playing brother ( Alex ). Aside form the fact these guys are talented players they are really fucked up ! Let's face it VH fans have had nothing, but negative behavior for the last 15 years to feed off. Even this website is only existing off the Past. I personally don't even give a shit what Ed and his brother are doing ! When I read Sam's comments they totally make sense. He is not ripping on anybody. He is asked questions and gives an answer. It cracks me up just because his answer is not " eddie is the best still man ".....or something like this ......"He is still god, and me ( SAM ) and Dave and Mike and everybody....are nothing without the name Van halen." Why do you think Warner brothers wanted to dump Eddie if he continued to use the name VH for the " new bands " . The only person that can't give it up is ED, he can't even move forward at all that is why everybody ditched him ! Still trying to sell shoes and guitars leaves little respect at all. So until ED saves the sheep with new music, the sheep will go after anybody and everything that is said with a fine tooth comb. Chickenfoot has nothing to do with Van halen ! This band rocks and there are going to be people who won't move forward until Ed says they can ! I does not take rocket or a college degree to figure it out! Remember, it is Sam and Mike that were members of that band !! They have the right to say whatever they please. The put up with it on a different level than the "fans". I give Sam and mike a gold star for putting up with that shit for years anyway. People should know by now Ed is not a team player. That is how he thinks and that is how he wrote music too. Ed should have STFU and go be solo artist. !!
    Last edited by scottfletcher; 07.11.09 at 10:04 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I think even some of Sammy's most loyal followers here are thinking "What the fuck Sammy?" Saying that Alex is basic is almost as bad as Eddie curing cancer.

All I know is that when the songwriting tandem of Joe Satriani and Sammy Hagar can put out an album half as good as 5150 or Balance, then he can start ripping on Eddie's songwriting approach.

They already did ....it is called Chickenfoot. I guess you should get out more ! And Oasis .....come on

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    Totally agree, I tell you what it is ! for a fact. I have noticed the bitter fan syndrome with the disgruntled VH fans. I don't know of any other band that has more fan bitterness than " some" of the VH fans. They have been drug through the mud thanks to ED and his " yes " drum playing brother ( Alex ). Aside form the fact these guys are talented players they are really fucked up ! Let's face it VH fans have had nothing, but negative behavior for the last 15 years to feed off. Even this website is only existing off the Past. I personally don't even give a shit what Ed and his brother are doing ! When I read Sam's comments they totally make sense. He is not ripping on anybody. He is asked questions and gives an answer. It cracks me up just because his answer is not " eddie is the best still man ".....or something like this ......"He is still god, and me ( SAM ) and Dave and Mike and everybody....are nothing without the name Van halen." Why do you think Warner brothers wanted to dump Eddie if he continued to use the name VH for the " new bands " . The only person that can't give it up is ED, he can't even move forward at all that is why everybody ditched him ! Still trying to sell shoes and guitars leaves little respect at all. So until ED saves the sheep with new music, the sheep will go after anybody and everything that is said with a fine tooth comb. Chickenfoot has nothing to do with Van halen ! This band rocks and there are going to be people who won't move forward until Ed says they can ! I does not take rocket or a college degree to figure it out! Remember, it is Sam and Mike that were members of that band !! They have the right to say whatever they please. The put up with it on a different level than the "fans". I give Sam and mike a gold star for putting up with that shit for years anyway. People should know by now Ed is not a team player. That is how he thinks and that is how he wrote music too. Ed should have STFU and go be solo artist. !!
    Interesting take...

I'm not bitter about anything. I just think it's best to not take shots when it isn't needed. That interview (like many other recent CF articles) could have been much more positive rather than continue to sling mud. Sure, Ed is a dick. We all know this. He is selfish and treated his former band mates like crap. No argument.

What I am saying is why put down what was by far the biggest career high for Sammy. He wrote more hits and sold more albums with EVH than he will EVER sell with CF. He also wrote better music with VH. Now that might be subjective but just by my own ears..it's really obvious which songwriting team had the better music.

I also find your post interesting coming from a guy who makes VH clones. When you start making and marketing Joe Satriani clones and stop making money off of VH, then I can take your opinions a little more serious.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

That's a great post, Chef. Nicely said.

I like the basis of what you're saying and agree with that line of thinking. My only problem with these Sam quotes is that I just have a hard time believing he really believes that. I'm as big a fan of Sam as anyone, I think the guy is cool as hell. But something about these statements just rings a bit hollow, like he's just caught up in the moment of CF.

I'm not in Sam's head and I'm not a professional singer, so I'm hardly someone that can say he's full of shit, but I have to agree with several of Lefty Van Halen's comments about how those Van Hagar years sound. Seems to me Sam had room to do what he needed to in ways maybe Roth didn't.

Again, I don't think Sam is on some agenda driven mud-slinging thing, I just think he's a little caught up in the moment when he says certain things he's said.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Sam hates Edward and Edward hates Sam.

Haven't you guys been paying attention?
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    Interesting take...

I'm not bitter about anything. I just think it's best to not take shots when it isn't needed. That interview (like many other recent CF articles) could have been much more positive rather than continue to sling mud. Sure, Ed is a dick. We all know this. He is selfish and treated his former band mates like crap. No argument.

What I am saying is why put down what was by far the biggest career high for Sammy. He wrote more hits and sold more albums with EVH than he will EVER sell with CF. He also wrote better music with VH. Now that might be subjective but just by my own ears..it's really obvious which songwriting team had the better music.

I also find your post interesting coming from a guy who makes VH clones. When you start making and marketing Joe Satriani clones and stop making money off of VH, then I can take your opinions a little more serious.
    Nothing personal, but you should stop using words like "better". You will find it will make you a "better" person. Opinions are one thing but facts are another. People attacking Sam or anybody else for that matter shows how shallow people can be. You know for a fact that he is NOT going to sell more albums than his tenure with VH. I need you for a stockbroker my friend ! Oh and going ahead and make the cheap windfall shot at some of the guitars I have built ... all of which are legal. Ya know I would like to be able to collect money off of the Paper towel company named " Scott " , but I can't and I shouldn't. See it is the way you are interpreting " eddies stuff ". ED has been making money off of others. Those were never his designs. !! He just wanted you to believe that. Apparently it worked. Maybe I will make some Joe "clones"..................

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post

Puh-lease. Talk about exaggeration.

You have made it abundantly clear that you don't like the CF CD for whatever reason -- as you don't offer many specifics, just broad comments -- and that's your prerogative. But making comments about the CF CD not being "half as good as 5150 or Balance" is absurdity, and you know it. Your attempt to diminish the quality of the CF CD with increasingly more extreme comments in multiple threads in the CF forum is getting old.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rock View Post
    Waaa. Waaa. Waaa. Sam needs to STFU already.

BTW, I read the entire article last night. I still can't understand why Sammy just can't let go.
    Probably because he still feels stung by what happened between him and EVH back in 2004 then what happened with MA in '07 and then how the RRHOF induction ceremony turned out. I wish SH would move past it, too. However, although SH's behavior isn't EVH's responsibility no more than EVH's behavior is anyone else's responsibility, I think EVH is the only person that can defuse the negativity that exists between the former and current members of VH.

Just imagine if EVH came out publicly and said some positive comments about SH and MA during their time in the band, thanked them for their contributions because it allowed him and the band to thrive, and genuinely wished them future success with CF or any other future projects. I firmly believe that because EVH is the de facto leader of VH, the responsibility falls on him to take this step. I think if he did something like this, the comments from SH and MA would stop and there would be considerably less criticism of him from his critics here. I really wish EVH would take this step. I believe it would be best for the band, all of its current and former members, and the fans.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln