Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Bulls: 1 - Idiots:0

Go Bulls!

PAMPLONA, Spain — A charging bull gored a young Spanish man to death Friday at Pamplona's San Fermin festival, the first such fatality in nearly 15 years. Nine others were injured in a particularly dangerous and chaotic chapter of the running of the bulls.

Pamplona officials identified the man as Daniel Jimeno Romero, 27, from Alcala de Henares, outside Madrid. He was on vacation with his parents and girlfriend, who identified him.

The San Fermin festival Web site said Jimeno Romero was gored in the neck and lung during a run in which a rogue bull named Capuchino separated from the pack, which is among the worst things that can happen at Spain's most popular fiesta. Isolated bulls are more likely to get disoriented and start charging at people.

Photographs showed Jimeno Romero lying on a stretcher moments after the goring, his face and neck stained with blood and his eyes only half-open. An emergency medical worker was leaning over him, applying what appeared to be gauze to his neck wound.

Amateur video broadcast by Spanish TV station Cuatro showed Jimeno Romero trotting backwards, facing the oncoming bull, when he trips over other runners and goes down. The Spaniard then tries to squeeze feet-first under a wooden fence serving as a protective barrier, when the bull comes up and gores him in the neck with its right horn. Jimeno Romero instantly bled profusely, lying face up as medics tried to save him.

Three other people were gored during the run, and six people suffered bumps, bruises and other lesser injuries, said Fernando Boneta, director of Virgen del Camino Hospital.

Among the injured was a 61-year-old American who was struck in the chest and had internal bleeding in his lungs. Doctors said he was in intensive care but that his condition was not considered life-threatening. The man was identified by his initials, E.P.S., but his full name was not released.

Also injured in the run was a 20-year-old from London, and a 24-year-old Argentine. Another American, a 63-year-old identified by the initials K.L., injured an elbow.

The festival ends Tuesday, and there was no indication that the remaining bull runs would be canceled because of the death.

The last fatal goring at the running of the bulls was that of 22-year-old American Matthew Tassio in 1995. In 2003, a 63-year-old Spanish man, Fermin Etxeberri, was trampled in the head by a bull and died after spending months in a coma.

Friday's death raises to 15 the toll since record-keeping began in 1924.

Fatalities are relatively rare and when one occurs, it serves as a reminder that amid all the street parties and revelry associated with San Fermin, running with fighting bulls weighing 1,300 pounds (600 kilograms) or more on cobblestone streets packed with people is a life-risking exercise.

This run, the fourth of eight held at San Fermin, was by far the most perilous of this year's festival. The previous three runs were comparatively placid affairs, with no serious injuries.

The six bulls covering the half-mile (850-meter) course with six accompanying steers tend to mind their own business and keep running as long as they stay in a pack. A bull that gets separated is more likely to get frightened and aggressive, and that is what happened Friday.

Capuchino, a brown, 1,130-pound (515-kilogram) specimen, fell early in the run and ended up on its own.

When it reached a stretch right outside the bullring that marks the end of the course, it started charging right and left, and even ran back the wrong way several times. Runners scurried for safety to wooden barriers along the route as the bull attacked. Herders waving sticks tried in vain to guide it into the ring, even yanking on the animal's tail to turn it around.

This went on for a minute and a half, which is a long time at San Fermin.

At one point the bull picked one man up with its horns and flipped him into the air, then kept going after him as he lay curled up on the ground, covering his face. He got up and ran away, and was apparently not seriously hurt.

Jimeno Romero was killed by the same bull at a stretch slightly before this one.

"It was a light bull. Its charges were not particularly strong but it moved very fast from left to right," one of the herders, Humberto Miguel, told The Associated Press. "Of the whole pack, it was the one that gave us the most trouble."

The bulls used in Friday's run, from a ranch called Jandilla, have a reputation for being fierce at San Fermin. They hold the record for the most gorings in a single run — eight, one day in 2004.

The bulls used in the runs face matadors and almost certain death the same afternoon in the Pamplona bullring.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

People do some insanely stupid, not to mention savage, arrogant and blood-thirsty, things in the name of tradition. Yeah yeah...hemmingway...beauty...hundreds of years.

Whatever. Leave the damn bulls alone already.

I'm always a little happier when a bull is able to take someone down...whether it be in spain or in some retarded rodeo here in the states.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I always root for the animals in these stories:

- Crocodile Hunter takes a stigray barb to the heart? Cool!
    - Roy gets mauled by a tiger? That would be the only Sifried & Roy performance I would ever want to see! Anything short of that would be a letdown.
    - People are dumb enough to get drunk and let half-ton bulls chase them through narrow, cobblestone streets...well, you get the picture.

- Dewey Cox

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    I always

I'm not sure how leaving a wife and baby behind is cool, but ok.

I do root for the bulls in the bullfighting where they bleed em out til they're exhausted then stab em in the heart, that shits pretty barbaric.
    Though you gotta feel for this guy

Dealing with it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post

no I don't.

fuck him.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

- Roy gets mauled by a tiger? That would be the only Sifried & Roy performance I would ever want to see! Anything short of that would be a letdown.
    - People are dumb enough to get drunk and let half-ton bulls chase them through narrow, cobblestone streets...well, you get the picture.
    well, in the cases of the croc hunter and sigried and Roy, I disagree.

Those Roy and Croc Hunter absolutely loved and respected animals. The Sigfried and Roy Show was NOTHING like the horrible circuses and bullshit shows where the animals were exploited and abused.

Hell, the two of them were responsible for the revival of several species of large cats.

What happened to both the Croc hunter and Roy were certainly prime examples of the risk one takes when they try to either live in an animals world, or have an animal live in their's but it was hardly worth rooting for. They were tragedies and animals lost a great champion when the croc hunter died. Thank God Roy is still alive and there is talk that they will do a final farewell performance but what's most important is that he can continue his incredible and awe-inspiring work with those magnificent animals.

Now then, those bastards that fucked with the tiger in that san diego zoo...fuck them. The ONLY tragedy there was that the tiger was killed. Rodeo people? Fuck 'em. Bull fighters? Fuck 'em. Mike Vick? Fuck him twice.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks to jan for the image.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    I'm not sure how leaving a wife and baby behind is cool, but ok.

I do root for the bulls in the bullfighting where they bleed em out til they're exhausted then stab em in the heart, that shits pretty barbaric.

Ummm, this is one of those few moments where the 'cup' quote may actually be appropriate.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    well, in the cases of the croc hunter and sigried and Roy, I disagree.

Those Roy and Croc Hunter absolutely loved and respected animals. The Sigfried and Roy Show was NOTHING like the horrible circuses and bullshit shows where the animals were exploited and abused.
    We're usually on the same page, but I disagree here. I'm not saying either one deserved to die. I just don't feel bad for them is all. Irwin seemed to make his living annoying animals and maybe Roy should have thought about puttin a tiger on a stage in Vegas with a crowd, light show, loud music, etc. Doesn't seem like a tiger's natural environment.

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You mess with a bull, you get the horns.

LV

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We're usually on the same page, but I disagree here. I'm not saying either one deserved to die. I just don't feel bad for them is all. Irwin seemed to make his living annoying animals and maybe Roy should have thought about puttin a tiger on a stage in Vegas with a crowd, light show, loud music, etc. Doesn't seem like a tiger's natural environment.
    and that's precisely what I was talking about when I said both deaths were prime examples of what can happen when people try to invade an animal's world like the croc hunter or bring an animal into our world like roy.

However, their track records as unwavering champions for the well being and protection and preservatoin of animals, their spotless reputations as being incredibly compassionate and skilled at what they did, does make it different than jackoffs running with bulls or pelting a wild animal and getting what they deserve.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wrote a lil song about it. Wanna hear it? Here it go...

you're sometimes a dead fool
    running with the bulls
    gotta have the proper tools
    sad but thems the rules

Thinning of the Herd
    Take me at my word
    Thinning of the Herd
    oh yeah

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It may not have been a natural environment for any tiger, but Roy raised that tiger from a cub. It was the only environment that tiger knew. Plus, that was the main tiger used for breeding. Roy also insisted that the tiger not be put down after the attack. The tiger still lives on his and Siegfried's estate.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go Bulls!

PAMPLONA, Spain — A charging bull gored a young Spanish man to death Friday at Pamplona's San Fermin festival, the first such fatality in nearly 15 years. Nine others were injured in a particularly dangerous and chaotic chapter of the running of the bulls.

Pamplona officials identified the man as Daniel Jimeno Romero, 27, from Alcala de Henares, outside Madrid. He was on vacation with his parents and girlfriend, who identified him.

The San Fermin festival Web site said Jimeno Romero was gored in the neck and lung during a run in which a rogue bull named Capuchino separated from the pack, which is among the worst things that can happen at Spain's most popular fiesta. Isolated bulls are more likely to get disoriented and start charging at people.

Photographs showed Jimeno Romero lying on a stretcher moments after the goring, his face and neck stained with blood and his eyes only half-open. An emergency medical worker was leaning over him, applying what appeared to be gauze to his neck wound.

Amateur video broadcast by Spanish TV station Cuatro showed Jimeno Romero trotting backwards, facing the oncoming bull, when he trips over other runners and goes down. The Spaniard then tries to squeeze feet-first under a wooden fence serving as a protective barrier, when the bull comes up and gores him in the neck with its right horn. Jimeno Romero instantly bled profusely, lying face up as medics tried to save him.

Three other people were gored during the run, and six people suffered bumps, bruises and other lesser injuries, said Fernando Boneta, director of Virgen del Camino Hospital.

Among the injured was a 61-year-old American who was struck in the chest and had internal bleeding in his lungs. Doctors said he was in intensive care but that his condition was not considered life-threatening. The man was identified by his initials, E.P.S., but his full name was not released.

Also injured in the run was a 20-year-old from London, and a 24-year-old Argentine. Another American, a 63-year-old identified by the initials K.L., injured an elbow.

The festival ends Tuesday, and there was no indication that the remaining bull runs would be canceled because of the death.

The last fatal goring at the running of the bulls was that of 22-year-old American Matthew Tassio in 1995. In 2003, a 63-year-old Spanish man, Fermin Etxeberri, was trampled in the head by a bull and died after spending months in a coma.

Friday's death raises to 15 the toll since record-keeping began in 1924.

Fatalities are relatively rare and when one occurs, it serves as a reminder that amid all the street parties and revelry associated with San Fermin, running with fighting bulls weighing 1,300 pounds (600 kilograms) or more on cobblestone streets packed with people is a life-risking exercise.

This run, the fourth of eight held at San Fermin, was by far the most perilous of this year's festival. The previous three runs were comparatively placid affairs, with no serious injuries.

The six bulls covering the half-mile (850-meter) course with six accompanying steers tend to mind their own business and keep running as long as they stay in a pack. A bull that gets separated is more likely to get frightened and aggressive, and that is what happened Friday.

Capuchino, a brown, 1,130-pound (515-kilogram) specimen, fell early in the run and ended up on its own.

When it reached a stretch right outside the bullring that marks the end of the course, it started charging right and left, and even ran back the wrong way several times. Runners scurried for safety to wooden barriers along the route as the bull attacked. Herders waving sticks tried in vain to guide it into the ring, even yanking on the animal's tail to turn it around.

This went on for a minute and a half, which is a long time at San Fermin.

At one point the bull picked one man up with its horns and flipped him into the air, then kept going after him as he lay curled up on the ground, covering his face. He got up and ran away, and was apparently not seriously hurt.

Jimeno Romero was killed by the same bull at a stretch slightly before this one.

"It was a light bull. Its charges were not particularly strong but it moved very fast from left to right," one of the herders, Humberto Miguel, told The Associated Press. "Of the whole pack, it was the one that gave us the most trouble."

The bulls used in Friday's run, from a ranch called Jandilla, have a reputation for being fierce at San Fermin. They hold the record for the most gorings in a single run — eight, one day in 2004.

The bulls used in the runs face matadors and almost certain death the same afternoon in the Pamplona bullring.
    Here's video of the guy (in the white-and-black-striped shirt) getting gored by the bull, though you don't see much.

There are also some pics and other videos at: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...plona/?apage=3

If you scroll down to the last picture on that page, you will see in fairly graphic detail the bull ("Capuchino") that gored the guy being killed at the end of the run by a matador. This whole event or "tradition" is idiotic and pisses me off every year.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lacy_vious View Post
    You mess with a bull, you get the horns.

LV
    That's right.

"Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln