Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default If The Front Desk Calls Your Hotel Room, Telling You To Wreck The Place...Don't!

Pranksters strike hotels, imploring guests to trash their rooms
    If caller says to trash your hotel room, think twice

By Rebecca Beitsch and Amy L. Edwards

Orlando Sentinel

7:55 PM EDT, July 8, 2009

Lisa Kantorski took the call from the person who claimed to be a front-desk clerk about a gas leak in her family's hotel room near Orlando International Airport.

She frantically relayed the information to her husband, Mark, an Indian River County deputy. He followed the caller's instructions ... and smashed the window of his room with a toilet tank.

"When I broke the window, I got suspicious," Mark Kantorski said. "It didn't seem right, but [Lisa] was panicking, so I continued."

Just before 7 a.m. Monday, the Kantorskis had no idea they were the latest victims of a prankster, or pranksters, whose tricks are sweeping the nation. The unknown perpetrators dupe otherwise rational people into doing outrageous things, including driving trucks through storefronts and breaking hotel windows, ostensibly to test fire alarms.

Spokesmen for the tourism and visitors bureaus in Broward and Palm Beach counties said Thursday they're not aware of any such pranks occurring in a South Florida hotel. Representatives of local hotel chains said they have not had similar pranks.

But hotel workers have been notified of other incidents across the country.

Olvin Sanchez, sales manager at the Hilton Garden Inn in Dania Beach near the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, said Thursday the hotel recently received an e-mail from its corporate office advising them to be aware of these prank calls.

The Orlando incident this week follows others nationwide:

In Arkansas, a caller posing as a sprinkler-company employee persuaded a motel employee to do more than $50,000 in damage to a motel as part of a "test" of the motel's emergency alarms.

At a Comfort Suites in Daphne, Ala., a caller ordered a guest to turn on the sprinklers for a fire that wasn't. The result: more than $10,000 in damage.

In Nebraska, a Hampton Inn employee was convinced by a caller to pull the fire alarm. The employee was later told that the only way to silence the alarm was to break the lobby windows. The employee enlisted the help of a nearby trucker, who drove his rig through the front door.

The Nebraska incident appears to be memorialized by PrankNET. According to its Twitter bio, PrankNET is made up of "pranksters in a chat room, doing the most epic pranks you have ever heard in your life."

The truck driver made his impromptu drive in the wee hours of May 27, according to reports. At 12:05 a.m., PrankNET tweeted: "I just pulled off the most epic prank. I had a hotel guest back his truck into the hotel front window, and break the window."

Videos posted on PrankNET's site recorded an incident nearly identical to the one pulled on the Kantorskis. "We cannot even access the upper levels until you break out the window to make a negative air flow. ... We're going to have to ask you to break the window. Don't worry; we're moving you into a different room," a male prankster tells the obedient hotel guests.

Monday's incident was the first of its kind in Orlando, police and sheriff's offices in Orange and Osceola counties said.

The Orlando/Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau said it did not know of any pranks being played on local hotels.

Mark Kantorski said he followed the caller's instructions while his wife, Lisa, clutched their three kids: Break the mirror on the wall. Use the lamp to bash in the wall to get to the trapped man on the other side. Throw the mattress out the window and jump for safety.

When it was all over, room 204 of the Hilton Garden Inn was a shambles -- with $5,000 in damage, according to an incident report. Eventually, Hilton Garden Inn manager Samir Patel appeared at the door to address a noise complaint, an Orlando police report states.

Patel broke the news to the Kantorskis: There was no gas leak.

Patel said he recently received a memo from his corporate office warning about "dangerous pranks" that had been pulled at hotels in other states.

Police don't know who called the Kantorskis, who were not arrested "because [Mark Kantorski] was responding to what he believed to be an emergency," said Sgt. Barbara Jones, a police spokeswoman. The hotel has not asked the couple to replace anything.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...,2473186.story
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

that's hysterical. I know there's the whole property damage, it's wrong to take advantage of people like that, it's wrong to fake an emergency thing...but damn, it's still funny.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Caught something about this on the radio earlier...never underestimate the stupidity of the human race.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Caught something about this on the radio earlier...never underestimate the stupidity of the human race.
    Yup!!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

It's amazing in how people have nothing else better to do than these pranks.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there has been a rash of pranks like these in Houston as well. It was all over the morning news a couple of days ago.

LV

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't think of anything better than calling a complete stranger staying in some hotel and actually convince him to grab the toilet bowl lid and break the hotel window with it.

That is just awesome.

The only reason I don't do it myself is that it would just be cliche at this point.

I need to get my prank hat on and get to work.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:58 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Its the ghost of Keith Moon.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't think of anything better than calling a complete stranger staying in some hotel and actually convince him to grab the toilet bowl lid and break the hotel window with it.

That is just awesome.

The only reason I don't do it myself is that it would just be cliche at this point.

I need to get my prank hat on and get to work.
    There was one we used to pull by simply perusing the white pages back when we were teenagers:

Unsuspecting person: "Hello"
    Me: "Yes ma'am (sir), this is Bill from the Jacques Cousteau save the South Florida Save the Virgin Gecko Lizard Society, and I was wondering if you'd care to give a few dollars to save the little fuckers?"

Generally, we got an immediate click, but if someone hing on and said no, we would say: "Well then, would you care to donate a few dollars to the South Florida NeoNazi Association?"

Amazingly, we actually got a few folks that answered yes to the second one!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Ah...to be a South Florida teenager in the seventies, with two phones (on the same line) and caller ID years and years away. Using the two phones, my buddy and I would crank people, saying we were from "Dialing For Dollars". One of us would have a tape recorder set up to play the theme music, while the other took the role of the show's host. The host would ask the "comtestant" the amount in today's jackpot. If the contestant would say a number over $100 (this was the seventies), the host would say they'd won.

Then the guy running the music would take over as "statistician", asking their mailing address, slowly taking down the info (even asking the contestant to repeat parts), all the while building the intensity and joy on the part of the "winner". At the end, the "host" would return, thanking the contestant and telling him that his autographed picture of the host was in the mail. The contestant's remarks and general confusion at this point were usually priceless.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Caller ID really is a double edge sword

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I think some people make a career out of it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

unbelievable what people will fall for over the phone

remember the fast food joint scam where someone would call in and say that they had to retain an employee for theft or something and them put them through hell?

I think there was a huge lawsuit over a young mcDonalds employee getting stripped searched due to instructions given over the phone...and it was all on the security camera

stupid people just throwing their own good judgement right out the window...along with the toilet tank

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We'd bill the guest.

HAHAHA!

Jokes on them. Then our insurance rates go up, which we pass along to our other guests.

HAHAHAHA!

So your vacation just got more expensive.

HAHAHAHAHA!
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    unbelievable what people will fall for over the phone

remember the fast food joint scam where someone would call in and say that they had to retain an employee for theft or something and them put them through hell?

I think there was a huge lawsuit over a young mcDonalds employee getting stripped searched due to instructions given over the phone...and it was all on the security camera

stupid people just throwing their own good judgement right out the window...along with the toilet tank
    No kidding on that last sentence!

It was more than just a strip-search. The victim was forced to perform oral sex.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...WS01/510090392