Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default Guitar Player Magazine with CF and Sammy Spewing his BS

(I posted this in the Chickenfoot forum but I don't think many go there in here so I wanted to post it here for musician opinions as well).

So I get the new Guitar Player mag this week and it has Sammy and Joe on the cover and states they are bringing riff rock back. Cool.

I read the article and I just blurt out after reading some of Sammy's quotes "what an asshole!" My wife looks at me and asks "who are you talking to?". I replied that "I hate Sammy Hagar" and here is why

I dont have the magazine in front of me for exact quotes but basically...

Sammy says that Alex is a very basic solid drummer while Chad is all over the place and is more complex in his playing....

And...

Sammy goes on to say...When Eddie wrote music he didn't give a shit about leaving room for a singer and he just did what he wanted to do without considering space for a singer. When Joe writes and plays he leaves space for him to sing over. Basically saying that Joe is more considerate of the singer to open it up for him to write and sing....

Go read the article yourself to see his BS.

Some might agree here but here's my opinion.

Alex Van Halen is one of the best rock drummers that ever lived. He played some of the hardest rocking drums and complex poly rhythms in rock. Nothing Chad has ever written or done compares to Hot for Teacher or AFU Naturally wired...finish what ya started...etc. Sammy is off his freakin rocker if he thinks Chad is a more complex drummer than Alex. I mean CMON! What a dumbass.

And, to say that Eddie didn't give a shit about anyone else when writing was the most insane comment to me. Eddie wrote the biggest hits with Sammy in their whole career and he has the balls to say that he didn't leave room for Sammy to sing over?

Not one song on the CF album compares to the best of Van Hagar. Sorry but it's true. Sammy needs to lay off the cabo wabo tequila and really listen to his own BS coming from his big mouth.

Discuss...as I know you will and I expect mud slinging on this one.

Also, sorry if this was posted before...(didn't see it in the search)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many threads do we need on this?

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/new-...in-t47749.html
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    How many threads do we need on this?

Did you read my sentence where i said I looked and didn't see a thread on it?

Plus, that is my thread started in the CF forum. I said many here probably don't visit that forum and I want a musician opinion on it.
    Last edited by LeftyVanHalen; 07.10.09 at 07:34 AM.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sammy is just selling it.

it's what he does.

what he says has the credibility of a used car salesman.

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

As is the practice since his second departure from Van Halen...Sammy needs to shut the fuck up. Chad is NOWHERE even close to being in the same league as Alex. And Eddie vs. Joe? Please ! I don't have the time or the energy to explain why Sammy's feelings on this are even more ludicrous than the ones about Alex.
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Everytime I read BS by Sammy I'm not surprised, it just proves he formed this band to try and recapture his glory days when he was part of Van Halen.

I can imagine his face when he sees that the sales of CF are not even close to GOLD and saying to himself "this is better than Zeppelin, or 10 x Van Halen, what's happening?"

But then again, Sam has to throw BS to Eddie and Alex, just to try and sell his new product? Not cool.

CF is a faliure, I'm glad Mike is happy and doing his thing, but honestly the band and album won't go anywere in history, not even close to what Velvet Revolver or Audioslave had (which by the way is the same concept).

Sam, do yourself a favor, stop bashing the people who made you RICH & FAMOUS, it's not COOL, promote your album in a sane way.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5150 View Post
    As is the practice since his second departure from Van Halen...Sammy needs to shut the fuck up. Chad is NOWHERE even close to being in the same league as Alex. And Eddie vs. Joe? Please ! I don't have the time or the energy to explain why Sammy's feelings on this are even more ludicrous than the ones about Alex.
    I don't know about all that. I think, as far as ability goes, they seem to be right on par with one another. Chad is a monster...forget his chickenfoot stuff, it's pretty straightforward rock playing...look at his funk, fusion and straight up jazz work. The guy can flat out play. Sam's comments were pretty retarded but let's not go to the other extreme either.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    (I posted this in the Chickenfoot forum but I don't think many go there in here so I wanted to post it here for musician opinions as well).

So I get the new Guitar Player mag this week and it has Sammy and Joe on the cover and states they are bringing riff rock back. Cool.

I read the article and I just blurt out after reading some of Sammy's quotes "what an asshole!" My wife looks at me and asks "who are you talking to?". I replied that "I hate Sammy Hagar" and here is why

I dont have the magazine in front of me for exact quotes but basically...

Sammy says that Alex is a very basic solid drummer while Chad is all over the place and is more complex in his playing....

And...

Sammy goes on to say...When Eddie wrote music he didn't give a shit about leaving room for a singer and he just did what he wanted to do without considering space for a singer. When Joe writes and plays he leaves space for him to sing over. Basically saying that Joe is more considerate of the singer to open it up for him to write and sing....

Go read the article yourself to see his BS.

Some might agree here but here's my opinion.

Alex Van Halen is one of the best rock drummers that ever lived. He played some of the hardest rocking drums and complex poly rhythms in rock. Nothing Chad has ever written or done compares to Hot for Teacher or AFU Naturally wired...finish what ya started...etc. Sammy is off his freakin rocker if he thinks Chad is a more complex drummer than Alex. I mean CMON! What a dumbass.

And, to say that Eddie didn't give a shit about anyone else when writing was the most insane comment to me. Eddie wrote the biggest hits with Sammy in their whole career and he has the balls to say that he didn't leave room for Sammy to sing over?

Not one song on the CF album compares to the best of Van Hagar. Sorry but it's true. Sammy needs to lay off the cabo wabo tequila and really listen to his own BS coming from his big mouth.

Discuss...as I know you will and I expect mud slinging on this one.

Also, sorry if this was posted before...(didn't see it in the search)
    I like Sammy Hagar and Chickenfoot but I really hate hearing all the VH comparison bullshit. One of the reasons I really liked them was because they sold me on the notion that they just got together to have a great time and to put out some cool tunes. Not to annoint themselves the next "Led Zepplin" or to compare themselves to the current members of Van Halen.

Alex Van Halen is phenominal IMO.
    And I know Sammy was trying to give props to Chad Smith, but what band wants a drummer who's "all over the place"?
    Besides ... last I heard, Chad Smith was still a member of the RHCPs.
    JMO, but to me, that sorta defines Chickenfoot as just another "supergroup project" ... not a true band.

As for the Satch vs. Ed songwriting chemistry thing ...
    IMO, either it works or it doesn't.
    Apparently it worked for 10+ years with Ed and resulted in ALOT of hit songs.
    That sorta speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 4,791 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

I am going to comment on this thinking as a musician.

Chad, Alex, Eddie and Joe are all great at what they do. Joe is most likely the most talented instrumentalist of the group but that doesn't he is better than Eddie at writing songs of vice versa. Jimmy Page doesn't have the technique of Eddie or Joe and he seemed to have written more memorable songs than those two combined. Odd time beats sure didn't kick Robert Plants ass.

I will say this and this is my opinion. Not a fact and I am not claiming it as a fact. Sam doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

Looking at the catalog of Van Hagar songs how are these too busy?

Why Can't This Be Love (forgot the chords but thousands of 50's songs were written with the same progression), Dreams, Love Walks In, When Its Love, Feels Good, Not Enough and possibly Right Now are very receptive to vocal melodies since they are freaking keyboards on them.

Guitar songs that seem to have enough "space" or are melodic are Good Enough, Summer Nights, BOBW, 5150, AFU, Cabo, Black and Blue, Sucker, Poundcake, Judgement Day, In and Out, Dream another Dream, Top of the World, Seventh Seal, Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do, Big Fat Money, Amsterdam, Feeling, Deja Vu along with Humans Being.

About the only two songs I can think of that may have been difficult was Get Up and Source of Infection. Oh I forgot maybe Man on a Mission and a few others.

Even the instrumental named after a dinosauer has a easy rhythm underneath.

A lot of people may disagree with Eddie being a lead player but most people say he is great songwriter.

Anyway my two cents

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

This one should stay in the Chickenfoot forum, Lefty.

But thanks for giving me my first act as a moderator.