Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default New Guitar Player Magazine with CF...Sammy spews again...

So I get the new Guitar Player mag this week and it has Sammy and Joe on the cover and states they are bringing riff rock back. Cool.

I read the article and I just blurt out after reading some of Sammy's quotes "what an asshole!" My wife looks at me and asks "who are you talking to?". I replied that "I hate Sammy Hagar" and here is why

I dont have the magazine in front of me for exact quotes but basically...

Sammy says that Alex is a very basic solid drummer while Chad is all over the place and is more complex in his playing....

And...

Sammy goes on to say...When Eddie wrote music he didn't give a shit about leaving room for a singer and he just did what he wanted to do without considering space for a singer. When Joe writes and plays he leaves space for him to sing over. Basically saying that Joe is more considerate of the singer to open it up for him to write and sing....

Go read the article yourself to see his BS.

Some might agree here but here's my opinion.

Alex Van Halen is one of the best rock drummers that ever lived. He played some of the hardest rocking drums and complex poly rhythms in rock. Nothing Chad has ever written or done compares to Hot for Teacher or AFU Naturally wired...finish what ya started...etc. Sammy is off his freakin rocker if he thinks Chad is a more complex drummer than Alex. I mean CMON! What a dumbass.

And, to say that Eddie didn't give a shit about anyone else when writing was the most insane comment to me. Eddie wrote the biggest hits with Sammy in their whole career and he has the balls to say that he didn't leave room for Sammy to sing over?

Not one song on the CF album compares to the best of Van Hagar. Sorry but it's true. Sammy needs to lay off the cabo wabo tequila and really listen to his own BS coming from his big mouth.

Discuss...as I know you will and I expect mud slinging on this one.

Also, sorry if this was posted before...(didn't see it in the search)

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

eh... same ole, same ole...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

haven't read the article but from what you describe, can't say it's much different than any of the crap that comes out of his or Ed's mouth.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Did he talk about Edward's past drinking problem or make a disparaging comment about Wolf?
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

I will try not to be negative until I read the actual interview. However I will say judging by what you are saying, it's amazing that DLR or Sammy could write a song over Eddie's rhythms. Both are musical geniuses to be able to accomplish such a feat with a basic drummer and a guy who doesn't give singers any space to sing.

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    So I get the new Guitar Player mag this week and it has Sammy and Joe on the cover and states they are bringing riff rock back. Cool.

I read the article and I just blurt out after reading some of Sammy's quotes "what an asshole!" My wife looks at me and asks "who are you talking to?". I replied that "I hate Sammy Hagar" and here is why

I dont have the magazine in front of me for exact quotes but basically...

Sammy says that Alex is a very basic solid drummer while Chad is all over the place and is more complex in his playing....

And...

Sammy goes on to say...When Eddie wrote music he didn't give a shit about leaving room for a singer and he just did what he wanted to do without considering space for a singer. When Joe writes and plays he leaves space for him to sing over. Basically saying that Joe is more considerate of the singer to open it up for him to write and sing....

Go read the article yourself to see his BS.

Some might agree here but here's my opinion.

Alex Van Halen is one of the best rock drummers that ever lived. He played some of the hardest rocking drums and complex poly rhythms in rock. Nothing Chad has ever written or done compares to Hot for Teacher or AFU Naturally wired...finish what ya started...etc. Sammy is off his freakin rocker if he thinks Chad is a more complex drummer than Alex. I mean CMON! What a dumbass.

And, to say that Eddie didn't give a shit about anyone else when writing was the most insane comment to me. Eddie wrote the biggest hits with Sammy in their whole career and he has the balls to say that he didn't leave room for Sammy to sing over?

Not one song on the CF album compares to the best of Van Hagar. Sorry but it's true. Sammy needs to lay off the cabo wabo tequila and really listen to his own BS coming from his big mouth.

Discuss...as I know you will and I expect mud slinging on this one.

Also, sorry if this was posted before...(didn't see it in the search)
    Id like to read the full interview but let me comment based on your description of what was said. As someone who would personally take the high road instead of engaging in these back-and-forth insults, I don't understand the need for any current or former member of VH to take shots at the other current or former members. But it has happened -- and continues to happen -- on the part of all of them.

It seems to me that people tend to only get upset at the side -- i.e., EVH or SH/MA -- that take potshots at the side they're supporting. EVH pretty much has tried to embarrass MA and his abilities the last few years with subtle digs (including his obviously misguided, biased comparisons between MA and his son) and took shots at SH after his departure in '96. On the other hand, SH has largely responded in kind for years, including him now acting as a proxy for MA, who has largely (though not completely) taken the high road in the constant back and forth between EVH and former band members. To me, it illustrates why the idolatry and hero worship for any of these guys is misplaced. They're 50- and 60-year-old adolescents.

As for SH's specific comments, I think you're doing the same thing SH did, just in reverse. CS is a complex drummer, as is AVH, so I don't see why only one of them is allowed to be considered complex. As for the comment about EVH vs. JS, SH may be right about that, as the VH brothers really crammed every crevice of a song with a guitar or drum note, which never bothered me because I loved it. But I do notice the difference on many of the songs on the CF CD, as there does seem to be more space for SH and MA. Plus, SH is the one that worked with EVH on the tunes so he would know better than any of us and now he does have something (i.e., CF) to compare to his work in VH. Nonetheless, it would've been better if SH had acknowledged that the approach EVH took during his time in the band was also very successful and resulted in music that SH himself has claimed that he has long considered the best (or among the best) of his long career in the business.

As for your comment that "Not one song on the CF album compares to the best of Van Hagar," that's your opinion despite your desire to make it seem like more by adding, "Sorry but it's true." I disagree, as I believe the best stuff on the CF CD is comparable, but I won't try to imply that my opinion is truth. Nonetheless, how would you feel if after a new VH release somebody posted that "not one song on the new VH album compares to the best of CVH"? You'd probably bristle at the ridiculously unfair comparison, especially if they tried to say that their opinion was true, wouldn't you? And CF is at a disadvantage since this is the first CD that the four band members have ever recorded together so the margin of error is probably much larger for them and their output (though the creativity is probably enhanced for them, as well).

What I see is that the vast majority of the VH fanbase is constantly engaging in the same types of debates that the current and former band members are. It's sad, but anyone who has been a longtime fan of VH has come to expect it and learned to live with it.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Delighted Romeo View Post
    It's sad, but anyone who has been a longtime fan of VH has come to expect it and learned to live with it.
    Maybe not.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I will try not to be negative until I read the actual interview. However I will say judging by what you are saying, it's amazing that DLR or Sammy could write a song over Eddie's rhythms. Both are musical geniuses to be able to accomplish such a feat with a basic drummer and a guy who doesn't give singers any space to sing.
    Also, how did EVH create such great songs with SH's horrible lyrics and work ethic as well as MA's lousy bass playing?

My point is, both sides takes these subtle (and sometimes overt) digs at each other. I don't read too much into it other than I wish all of these guys -- especially SH and EVH -- would all grow up and stop the back-and-forth nonsense before they all die. But when what can we expect from guys paid handsomely to engage in the type of work and lifestyle that they have for decades.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Delighted Romeo View Post
    As for your comment that "Not one song on the CF album compares to the best of Van Hagar," that's your opinion despite your desire to make it seem like more by adding, "Sorry but it's true." I disagree, as I believe the best stuff on the CF CD is comparable, but I won't try to imply that my opinion is truth. Nonetheless, how would you feel if after a new VH release somebody posted that "not one song on the new VH album compares to the best of CVH"? You'd probably bristle at the ridiculously unfair comparison, especially if they tried to say that their opinion was true, wouldn't you? And CF is at a disadvantage since this is the first CD that the four band members have ever recorded together so the margin of error is probably much larger for them and their output (though the creativity is probably enhanced for them, as well).

What I see is that the vast majority of the VH fanbase is constantly engaging in the same types of debates that the current and former band members are. It's sad, but anyone who has been a longtime fan of VH has come to expect it and learned to live with it.
    That's completely fair to say and I should state it's my opinion...not fact. It's my belief. Music is so subjective...others might feel differently. However, Sammy just can't seem to look forward and not bad mouth his prior most successful band.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Maybe not.
    Agreed. Let's face it, magazines and newspapers are dying mediums. At this point, a writer is compelled to take even the most innocuous comment offered by an interviewee and turn it into some sort of hyperbolic nonsense. Case in point: This very thread. The result? A magazine article that by and large would have gone unnoticed in the past not only suddenly becomes grist for the mill on a VH fan site, it also piques the interest of those that never would have purchased the magazine in the first place.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Agreed. Let's face it, magazines and newspapers are dying mediums. At this point, a writer is compelled to take even the most innocuous comment offered by an interviewee and turn it into some sort of hyperbolic nonsense. Case in point: This very thread. The result? A magazine article that by and large would have gone unnoticed in the past not only suddenly becomes grist for the mill on a VH fan site, it also piques the interest of those that never would have purchased the magazine in the first place.
    That's a good point CC. In this case, Sammy really could have avoided the VH references and comparisons. If it were me and an interviewer asked about VH and how this band is different or how is Joe different than EVH...

I'd politely say I'm not going to discuss my prior bandmates. This is about CF and we don't need to go there. Sammy just can't seem to keep quiet on this stuff and he clearly makes these derogatory comments to start up shit. Why even mention Alex as a drummer compared to Chad? It's a guitar magazine you know?

In fact, Eddie has taken the high road lately which is a really big surprise. He hasn't said a word about CF besides to say he hasn't heard it but wishes them luck. That's more than Sammy can muster.

Look, my point is Sammy just likes to start crap. He has a big mouth and doesn't know when to just sing rather than talk.

I'm a fan of both Roth and Hagar. It's just amazing that Roth has not said one word about anything and Sammy is the one with all the stupid quotes.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    That's a good point CC. In this case, Sammy really could have avoided the VH references and comparisons. If it were me and an interviewer asked about VH and how this band is different or how is Joe different than EVH...

I'd politely say I'm not going to discuss my prior bandmates. This is about CF and we don't need to go there. Sammy just can't seem to keep quiet on this stuff and he clearly makes these derogatory comments to start up shit. Why even mention Alex as a drummer compared to Chad? It's a guitar magazine you know?

In fact, Eddie has taken the high road lately which is a really big surprise. He hasn't said a word about CF besides to say he hasn't heard it but wishes them luck. That's more than Sammy can muster.

Look, my point is Sammy just likes to start crap. He has a big mouth and doesn't know when to just sing rather than talk.

I'm a fan of both Roth and Hagar. It's just amazing that Roth has not said one word about anything and Sammy is the one with all the stupid quotes.
    The thing is, that may not be the case at all. Seriously, unless an interview is conducted on live television, it is going to be subject to either editorial bias or the writer's particular slant. Hagar could have been asked, say...50 questions regarding his former tenure in Van Halen. Of these, he chose to answer all but 3 in a benign, complimentary manner. But when this interview reaches newsprint or is broadcast, which questions are included? Yup, the 3 negative ones. And remember that this is the way all interviews are staged.

Look, in this economy I don't begrudge anyone from attempting to make a buck, and that holds for newspaper or magazine writers as well. Yet people should realize how the game is played at this point, and not attempt to read into a situation that may in fact, not even exist.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,666 Times in 3,694 Posts

haven't read the article but pardon me for not being shocked that Sam sounded like an idiot in an interview. Him and Ed seem to be involved in a battle of who can look like the bigger idiot. Ed shoots a better percentage but Sam kills us with volume. This one is a toss up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Well one can say the same thing about when Eddie gets interviewed. Maybe he has polite answers about Mike and they choose not to print those?

Fact is that both Eddie and Sammy are not really different. Both are immature and insecure. However Sammy comes across as the better guy because he is not an introvert and can hold his booze better. Mike has a legitimate gripe but it's his gripe, not Sammy's.

Anyway I doubt very much that Joe or Chad agree with Sammy's statements. Being a dick does not diminish ones musical skills nor 80 million albums sold. Something had to have gone right with the songwriting for Van Halen to sell that many albums.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

The same formula, keep flinging the shit. There's no such thing as bad publicity. In this case, everyone wins, CF and Van Halen. But I can't resist saying that if I'm to take Sam at his word here, thank you Eddie and Al. If Sam had been given "more space," we most likely would have heard even more stupid lyrics.