Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default Herald Sun - Michael Anthony interview yesterday

A great interview with Mike yesterday in the Melbourne Herald sun. He spoke about VH, and how Eddie really forced him against the wall, and Mike had to make the decision to QUIT. He spoke his photos being breifly erased from the VH albums too. Theres a Chickenfoot photo too. They are getting great exposure over here in the papers.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Last Online

11.26.16 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Can you post it please? Something new here because you say he quit VH when all I've heard is he was fired.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    A great interview with Mike yesterday in the Melbourne Herald sun. He spoke about VH, and how Eddie really forced him against the wall, and Mike had to make the decision to QUIT. He spoke his photos being breifly erased from the VH albums too. Theres a Chickenfoot photo too. They are getting great exposure over here in the papers.
    hmm, sounds like somethings get lost in translation... up here, we heard a different version...
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The only Anthony interview at the Melbourne Herald sun website is this one, from last month. Perhaps they have not archived the one DdmP is speaking of, this is the same one or perhaps parts of this interview were excerpted into a more recent one...

Chickenfoot are kings of the roost

SAM KELTON

June 25, 2009 12:00am

ON paper, Chickenfoot might just be one of the biggest supergroups who have ever formed.

Featuring Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar of Van Halen, Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani, this band would seem to good to be true for any rock fan.

But none more so than for bassist Michael Anthony - who considers Chickenfoot to be a vacation from the hell that was the final years of life with Van Halen.

"You caught me at a good time. I'm having the time of my life right now," says Anthony - a man who, you can tell, truly means this statement.

"This couldn't have come at a better time. Me and Sammy always knew we were going to do something together again. We just didn't know when."

Playing together for many years in Van Halen, Anthony has said goodbye to frontmen for the group many times before including Hagar, David Lee Roth and Gary Cherone, after a brief stint.

But Anthony's latest project, Chickenfoot, didn't come easily. His decision to join forces again with his friend Sammy Hagar cost him his place in Van Halen.

"I'm not the kind of guy who likes to sling mud around because those guys do enough of it, believe me," says Anthony.

"He (Eddie) really backed me into a wall and forced me to make a decision and it wasn't a decision that I thought was to quit the band.

"I mean my last name's not Van Halen and I didn't want people to forget about me, so I wanted to go out and play some shows and jam. We did the tour in 2004 and unfortunately after 80 shows, me and Sammy couldn't take it any more. Eddie was in such a state - we just couldn't deal with it."

Anthony, who was eventually replaced by Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang, says he did everything he could to be a part of Van Halen.

"At that point I don't know if he wanted his son to play with him," he says. "But to do that tour, I took a pay cut. I mean, I didn't need the money. The only reason I did the tour was in case it was the last time Van Halen got up and played. I wanted to be a part of it and do it for the fans."

Anthony had to sign a legal release from the band's name to take part on the tour, one that would be his last.

But then the band, and its well-known megalomaniacal brothers, crushed Anthony again. "When they did the last Van Halen tour, I found out about it the same way the fans did," says Anthony. "They came out with a new website for that tour and they - or somebody - had my image pulled off a couple of the album covers, like they were trying to erase me from the history of the band."

Anthony is creating his own history. Chickenfoot is becoming a highly sought-after live act, and a success story producing music that Anthony admits "feels like being on stage in the '80s".

The band's sound echoes the party-rock of circa 1985 with the unmistakable harmonies of Anthony and Hagar, the squeals of Satriani's solos and the pounding of Smith's drums.

But, above all, throughout Chickenfoot you can hear a respect and a friendship that speaks louder than any rock riff.

"The last time I felt this good was when Sammy joined Van Halen," Anthony says. "We're actually better friends now than we ever were. There's nothing ego or money-driven about this thing whatsoever.

"We want people to know that this is a brand-new band - this is not a one-time, one-album deal."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...-16601,00.html
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

It's always nice to hear from Mikey. I can't believe all the crap he put up with though.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

"He (Eddie) really backed me into a wall and forced me to make a decision..."

I used to work in a store with an owner who would never fire anybody because it was better for him financially if you quit. (Something about paying unemployment, I don't understand how that all works.)

Anyway, if he had an employee he didn't want to have working there any more, he would just cut their hours down to nothing and then say, "These are your new hours, if you don't like it, quit."

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

This article is nothing more than what we've already heard.

I wonder if Ed was in a better state of mind, would he have treated Mike like that.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The only Anthony interview at the Melbourne Herald sun website is this one, from last month. Perhaps they have not archived the one DdmP is speaking of, this is the same one or perhaps parts of this interview were excerpted into a more recent one...

Chickenfoot are kings of the roost

SAM KELTON

June 25, 2009 12:00am

ON paper, Chickenfoot might just be one of the biggest supergroups who have ever formed.

Featuring Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar of Van Halen, Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani, this band would seem to good to be true for any rock fan.

But none more so than for bassist Michael Anthony - who considers Chickenfoot to be a vacation from the hell that was the final years of life with Van Halen.

"You caught me at a good time. I'm having the time of my life right now," says Anthony - a man who, you can tell, truly means this statement.

"This couldn't have come at a better time. Me and Sammy always knew we were going to do something together again. We just didn't know when."

Playing together for many years in Van Halen, Anthony has said goodbye to frontmen for the group many times before including Hagar, David Lee Roth and Gary Cherone, after a brief stint.

But Anthony's latest project, Chickenfoot, didn't come easily. His decision to join forces again with his friend Sammy Hagar cost him his place in Van Halen.

"I'm not the kind of guy who likes to sling mud around because those guys do enough of it, believe me," says Anthony.

"He (Eddie) really backed me into a wall and forced me to make a decision and it wasn't a decision that I thought was to quit the band.

"I mean my last name's not Van Halen and I didn't want people to forget about me, so I wanted to go out and play some shows and jam. We did the tour in 2004 and unfortunately after 80 shows, me and Sammy couldn't take it any more. Eddie was in such a state - we just couldn't deal with it."

Anthony, who was eventually replaced by Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang, says he did everything he could to be a part of Van Halen.

"At that point I don't know if he wanted his son to play with him," he says. "But to do that tour, I took a pay cut. I mean, I didn't need the money. The only reason I did the tour was in case it was the last time Van Halen got up and played. I wanted to be a part of it and do it for the fans."

Anthony had to sign a legal release from the band's name to take part on the tour, one that would be his last.

But then the band, and its well-known megalomaniacal brothers, crushed Anthony again. "When they did the last Van Halen tour, I found out about it the same way the fans did," says Anthony. "They came out with a new website for that tour and they - or somebody - had my image pulled off a couple of the album covers, like they were trying to erase me from the history of the band."

Anthony is creating his own history. Chickenfoot is becoming a highly sought-after live act, and a success story producing music that Anthony admits "feels like being on stage in the '80s".

The band's sound echoes the party-rock of circa 1985 with the unmistakable harmonies of Anthony and Hagar, the squeals of Satriani's solos and the pounding of Smith's drums.

But, above all, throughout Chickenfoot you can hear a respect and a friendship that speaks louder than any rock riff.

"The last time I felt this good was when Sammy joined Van Halen," Anthony says. "We're actually better friends now than we ever were. There's nothing ego or money-driven about this thing whatsoever.

"We want people to know that this is a brand-new band - this is not a one-time, one-album deal."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...-16601,00.html
    Thats the interview
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:21 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    Thats the interview
    He clearly says he did not quit. He was forced to make a decision that he did not think was him quitting the band..which is what we already know. Ed claims he quit and Mike says he did not quit. That's basically what he's saying there.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i still don't get why his signing his "rights" to the Van Halen name away is made into some big deal.

Why should he have the rights to the name? He's not in the band anymore, even in 2004 his place in the band was tenuous at best.

The Van Halen brothers should have control over the band name.

Would any of you have supported Mike going on tour under the Van Halen banner by himself and three guys or with sammy and two guys?

Would any of you have supported Mike if he decided to use the Van Halen name to open up a restaurant or something like that?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:21 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i still don't get why his signing his "rights" to the Van Halen name away is made into some big deal.

Why should he have the rights to the name? He's not in the band anymore, even in 2004 his place in the band was tenuous at best.

The Van Halen brothers should have control over the band name.

Would any of you have supported Mike going on tour under the Van Halen banner by himself and three guys or with sammy and two guys?

Would any of you have supported Mike if he decided to use the Van Halen name to open up a restaurant or something like that?
    yeah, but as long as he has rights to the name they can't do anything as a band under that name without him....is that not correct?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

For those of you who are in the employ of another, try this experiment. Stop coming to work. Don't communicate to your boss or HR department of your intentions and see how long you continue to receive your paycheck. Eventually they will fire you.

However did you not quit since you decided you decided you personally were not going to show up to work nor tell your employers of your intentions?

Mike was employed by VH Inc. While he got the raw end of the deal, he has stated he never talked to those guys after 2004. Heck he didn't even know he was fired until he heard about Wolfgang. To them, they can say he quit. To him he was fired. The truth is in between. Both of them didn't want the relationship to continue. Sure there was a better way of handling it but if Mike really wanted to be in the band, he could have done things different.

For instance if I got laid off or fired, I probably would say to myself "why did I post so much at VH Links?" I am not saying he deserved what happened to him but he could have been a tad more proactive with his communication to the brothers.

After signing his rights away, he should not have assumed that they wouldn't do anything to him. Their history shows them to not be that trust worthy.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985 View Post
    yeah, but as long as he has rights to the name they can't do anything as a band under that name without him....is that not correct?
    i'm not sure but I don't think that's how it would work. I think if they all owned the name, they could all use the name, even if it was independent of the others...sort of like how there are multiple touring groups using the same band name.

So theoretically, if the the bros never got back off their ass...sam and mike could have gone on tour as "Van Halen" instead of "The Other Half."
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    For those of you who are in the employ of another, try this experiment. Stop coming to work. Don't communicate to your boss or HR department of your intentions and see how long you continue to receive your paycheck. Eventually they will fire you.

However did you not quit since you decided you decided you personally were not going to show up to work nor tell your employers of your intentions?

Mike was employed by VH Inc. While he got the raw end of the deal, he has stated he never talked to those guys after 2004. Heck he didn't even know he was fired until he heard about Wolfgang. To them, they can say he quit. To him he was fired. The truth is in between. Both of them didn't want the relationship to continue. Sure there was a better way of handling it but if Mike really wanted to be in the band, he could have done things different.

For instance if I got laid off or fired, I probably would say to myself "why did I post so much at VH Links?" I am not saying he deserved what happened to him but he could have been a tad more proactive with his communication to the brothers.
    Same shit, different day. Yawn. By the same token, you can say that it is up to your employer(s) to notify YOU the employee as to what is taking place within your company. The VH Bros clearly neglected to inform Mike of anything. So tired of that lame excuse.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

Well I am tired of the lame excuse that Mike couldn't be the tiny bit proactive and contact the brothers himself to see what the fuck was up. How come every other human being in the world knows how to use the phone except for Mike? Eddie is a fuck up. No argument there and I don't agree with what they did however Mike really didn't put up too much of a fight to keep his job.