Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Huh? Yahoo Email Now Networking Like Facebook

For several years, like many people I've relied on Yahoo for my email account. I like it's features, and it's reliable to a certain percent. In any event, recently Yahoo has given users the option of upgrading/improving it's operating systems. This includes an option to update your personal contacts.

Here is where it gets odd: On the right hand side of the page, you are given the names of people to "update" as contacts. The pisser is, these are NOT people from my old list, in fact they are people I've never heard of in my entire life! It was not until I casually told a friend this morning (by mentioning the names of these folks) did I discover where these names came from...they are friends on HER contact list.

Granted, the names are merely suggestions, and you do have the option of not clicking on them. I dunno how you folks feel about this, but I feel it's kinda creepy. I mean I purposely stay away from networking sites like Facebook to avoid this type of nonsense.

How do you guys feel about this?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

It suks and Hotmail has it too. It can get you in some trouble.Whats worse you can't seem to delete either yourself or others from the lists.Like a chainletter of sorts.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

welcome to the new world guys. All these things that superficially seem harmless or at best a bit odd are all part of a grand scheme to get us more into a collective mindset...where we are all together and we are all one...but not in the positive, loving "i am he and you are me and we are all together" sort of way but in the loss of individual self and identity sense.

Yahoo as a hole has gone downhill these past 4-5 years. They used to be the #1 place I went to for all things search and news and email related but I hate the perez hilton, kitchy, we're so hip tone of their "articles" and "blogs." They ruined perhaps the best online radio and their email seems to have a spam magnet attached to it. Yahoo sucks now.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Banned!
    Last Online

07.15.09 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    For several years, like many people I've relied on Yahoo for my email account. I like it's features, and it's reliable to a certain percent. In any event, recently Yahoo has given users the option of upgrading/improving it's operating systems. This includes an option to update your personal contacts.

Here is where it gets odd: On the right hand side of the page, you are given the names of people to "update" as contacts. The pisser is, these are NOT people from my old list, in fact they are people I've never heard of in my entire life! It was not until I casually told a friend this morning (by mentioning the names of these folks) did I discover where these names came from...they are friends on HER contact list.

Granted, the names are merely suggestions, and you do have the option of not clicking on them. I dunno how you folks feel about this, but I feel it's kinda creepy. I mean I purposely stay away from networking sites like Facebook to avoid this type of nonsense.

How do you guys feel about this?
    It's the way things are going and it will only get worse. People want to be able to network by the simple click of a button - and that includes viewing the friends of a friend. It's not creepy, it's keeping up with the times.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    An incredible invasion of privacy...

Imaging finding a bunch of "suggested friends" based on whom your significant partner has been emailing...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    An incredible invasion of privacy...

Imaging finding a bunch of "suggested friends" based on whom your significant partner has been emailing...
    yep.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by The Player View Post
    It's the way things are going and it will only get worse. People want to be able to network by the simple click of a button - and that includes viewing the friends of a friend. It's not creepy, it's keeping up with the times.
    All users should be able to select to have, or not have their "contacts" made public... Regardless if it's fucking keeping with the times...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

It's only about money.
    The more friends you contact via their site, the more you will visit their site and the more you will look at the advertising they sell.

Don't read this.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

oh its keeping with the times...

erosion of privacy, dependency on a large government...

I guess I just wasn't made for these times.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I fuckin hate this.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I allowed a page on Facebook to support our school levy and now, everyone can see everything on my Facebook page. I tried to limit access with the security on the site but the fact that I've allowed the main Facebook page makes it hard to stop all the other access and I have no idea who set up the original page. I just deleted it. If I want to read it, I'll go to someone else's wall to read it.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Banned!
    Last Online

07.15.09 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The way I see it is - if you are on the internet and provide info about yourself anywhere, it becomes public domain so to speak if it's searchable through Google. This internet has just become a more high tech phone book. In the past, if someone knew your name - they could look through the whitepages and find your address and phone number.

The internet is just one big phone book now where you kind find more info about someone than ever before. If that is not to your liking, don't provide your personal information anywhere and don't have contact lists.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Yep. I made a twitter account a few months ago, just to have an account. I have people following me on twitter and I've never tweeted once. The people that are following me are not people I've ever discussed tweeting with, invited, or anything. Best I can tell they probably networked in through their contact list in yahoo.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    oh its keeping with the times...

erosion of privacy, dependency on a large government...

I guess I just wasn't made for these times.
    ditto...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by The Player View Post
    The way I see it is - if you are on the internet and provide info about yourself anywhere, it becomes public domain so to speak if it's searchable through Google. This internet has just become a more high tech phone book. In the past, if someone knew your name - they could look through the whitepages and find your address and phone number.

The internet is just one big phone book now where you kind find more info about someone than ever before. If that is not to your liking, don't provide your personal information anywhere and don't have contact lists.
    BULLSHIT! email contacts should not be fucking public domain...