Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Dead Veteran owes almost $300,000 in health care costs

So here's the skinny...Vietnam vet, injured while on duty, awarded purple heart. He was on Medicaid. He had another injury, this one welding related, that put him in a wheel chair almost full time. He's dead now. The state of Iowa has sent his woman a bill for almost $300,000 saying it's not fair to the tax payers to make them flip the bill. They said in lieu of the nearly 300K, they'll take half of the value of some property they own...estimated at about 40K.

here's the link and the story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

Iowa Woman Owes State Almost $300,000 for Veteran's Health Care
    Monday, July 06, 2009

After caring for Vietnam veteran Roger Lennon for more than a dozen years, two months after his death Sarah Miller received a bill from the state of Iowa for almost $300,000 for medical care he received at a state-run veteran's home, according to a report in the Quad-City Times.

"I called them and said, 'Is this a joke?'" Miller told the Quad-City Times. "Who has that kind of money? And I was with Roger every time he was signed into the Iowa Veterans Home in Marshalltown. They never said anything about billing him after he passed."

Lennon was wounded in Vietnam and received a Purple Heart. He was also injured in a 1990 welding accident that kept him confined to a wheelchair most of the time, the newspaper reported. He received care at the veterans' home for several years.

"He could walk some with a quad cane, but he needed care," Miller, Lennon's companion of 20 years, told the newspaper. "He went through hell."

According to the Iowa Department of Human Services, however, the state has the right to pursue assets after Lennon's death because he was a Medicaid recipient, the newspaper reported. Lennon and Miller owned two rental properties in Bettendorf, Iowa, that she maintained during the years of his illness.

The state is asking Miller for half of the value of the two properties, about $40,000.

"Everybody who gets Medicaid is told this is a government program for which we will be expecting repayment," DHS spokesman Roger Munns told the newspaper. "It's not fair for taxpayers — you and me — to pay if there are assets.

"It's not draconian. It's not meant to be cruel," he said.

The letter from DHS, which says Lennon owes $277,186.96, after expressing condolences, reads: "This debt must be, and can only be, paid from anything that the individual owned or had an interest in at the time of death."

Munns said Miller "misinterpreted" her communications with state officials, the newspaper reported.

Miller, meanwhile, told the newspaper that a state attorney told her that she didn't have to sell the properties, but that she did have to give the state half of their value.

"I was told to send them the money next week," Miller told the newspaper. "People should know what the state is doing. Poor Roger was so proud that he was a veteran, and the veterans were taking care of him. He was very proud of his military service. People should be outraged."

---------------------------------

I love the bit about fairness...good stuff there....fucking government.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Swell, just another way of screwing folks over.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You'd think we would honor the people who sacrificed and fought for our country. Stories like this make me want to live on a deserted island.

LV

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Swell, just another way of screwing folks over.
    no...no you're not getting it. Obviously this vet didn't prioritize his life correctly. Why should everyone else have to fork over money to pay for this guy's medical bills when he should have made it a point to select a job that offered him top notch benefits? Why should WE have to pay other people's way when we're the ones working hard to provide for our OWN health care?!

This is AMERICA! This is not Canada or Europe where we take care of everybody regardless of whether or not those people have made the correct choices in their life. Here we value the individual! We reward the individual and we hold the individual accountable for the choices they make!

This guy obviously made some bad choices or else he would have been able to afford his own health care.

Damn right they should take whatever property and assets he left his lady friend in order to keep the tax payer from having to foot the bill. It's bad enough we have all these damn illegals and their anchor babies to take care of. Now we gotta pay for lazy bastards who die without paying their medical bills?!

Let's see...does that cover all the bullshit we're going to hear or did I leave something out?

Bunch of horseshit.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 6,678 Times in 3,703 Posts

a very sad story

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

So.....Roger should have thought this thing through before going off and doing something as irresposible as joining the military and THEN going off to war. That's kinda the message I'm reading underneath all the muck.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    So.....Roger should have thought this thing through before going off and doing something as irresposible as joining the military and THEN going off to war. That's kinda the message I'm reading underneath all the muck.

But evidently, when it comes to health care, we are all absolutely on our own and we need to make it a priority...even if it means doing without something else. We the tax payers should not be held responsible for the healthcare of others. Evidently, Roger should have weighed the costs and benefits of signing up for war. Apparently he made the wrong call. What's more, upon his return, he once again chose to take a job as a welder that didn't offer better health coverage. Thus his estate is on the hook.

That's the message I hear quite often...on this board if you can believe it.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

"The world needs ditch diggers, too" - Judge Smails and George H.W. "Daddy" Bush
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I guess they took their healthcare back.

Don't read this.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

This guys mistake was not putting all the assets under the girlfriends ownership before he died.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have a clear understanding how healthcare through the veteran's administration works? Is it something that is suppose to be for a lifetime regardless of the problems and/or injuries or is it for problems and/or injuries related directly to your service?

I'm not trying to say that we should not take care of our veterans as I am very pro military but it would seem from what they are saying that the guy was injured on the job. Shouldn't this be more of a workman's compensation issue?
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    Does anyone have a clear understanding how healthcare through the veteran's administration works? Is it something that is suppose to be for a lifetime regardless of the problems and/or injuries or is it for problems and/or injuries related directly to your service?

I'm not trying to say that we should not take care of our veterans as I am very pro military but it would seem from what they are saying that the guy was injured on the job. Shouldn't this be more of a workman's compensation issue?
    My oldest uncle (retired USAF) is currently undergoing treament for retinal detachment through the VA and it is definitely not related to his service time.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Good point. I think the article was written in such a way that they are really counting on the outrage due to him being a veteran. It appears that the injury that caused him the major issues was not related to his service. I truly believe that every country should be taking care of the fine men and women that put their lives on the line to protect our freedoms but the question becomes, at what point does the government no longer become responsible for non-military related injuries? I just don't see that an injury that occurred back on home soil, after service has concluded as the governments responsibility. Of course we are making comments based on this one article with limited information.

With that said it's bullshit that they are going after the companion for assets. VegasVic hit the nail on the head...the only mistake they made was not transferring the assets to her name to protect her.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I knew a girl whose step father served back in Vietnam and went to the VA for all his care later in life. He was battling some sort of cancer...unrelated to his service. The VA picked up the tab, including his home hospice, meds and hospital stays all the way until he died.

Bottom line, whether we're talking about a veteran or we're talking about any other hard working citizen, health care should not be set up the way it is.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.