Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

07.15.16 @ 03:34 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Default Jeff Beck in Belfast's Ulster Hall

Just a quick review of one of the best gigs I've ever seen in my life - so good, in fact, it's a contender for the top spot.

On Tuesday evening, 30th June 2009, Jeff Beck played at Belfast's newly refurbished Ulster Hall. It's an old-time theatre, almost like a church inside, with galleries and high ceilings. It was seated, but not allocated, so I was amazed that my friend and I got two seats right on the front row.

Beck was just flat-out amazing. If you've seen the Ronnie Scott's DVD, then you've an idea of the set, but there was a looser feel to this performance, more improvisation. Beck's playing was flawless, just jaw-dropping. He's just turned sixty-five and he still continues to evolve and grow as a player. Not only does he put his own generation of players to shame, i.e. Clapton and Page, he also runs rings around later generations like Vai and Satriani, and dare I say it, a certain Mr. Van Halen. I can't think of another guitarist who has continued to grow over the years in the way Jeff Beck has.

Of course, the band was also made entirely of awesome. In particular, the bassist Tal Wilkenfeld has to be seen to be believed. She's tiny, and when she walks on stage she looks no older than fifteen, but I believe she is the best bassist I have ever seen perform (I'm comparing her against Stu Hamm, Doug Wimbish and John Patitucci) and possibly will ever see.

The tour's still ongoing, so if you get a chance to see it, for God's sake, take it. At sixty-five, it's hard to know how much longer Beck will continue to hit the road. You don't want to miss him while you've got the chance.
    THOSE WE LEFT BEHIND by Stuart Neville - Years of lies unravel when an old case comes back to haunt DCI Serena Flanagan.

June 26th 2015 (UK & Commonwealth), September 22nd 2015 (North America)

Favorite VH Album

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Favorite VH Song

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Last Online

04.21.16 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Couldn't agree with you more. Jeff Beck is an amazing guitar player who unfortunately does not get the credit he deserves. He definitely reigns supreme when it comes to the electric guitar and I can't fathom what it is he can't do on the instrument.

Glad you had a great time at his show; unfortunately he skipped the Pacific Northwest here in the states and so I was unable to catch his latest tour. However, I just picked up the Ronnie Scott DVD and it's absolutely brilliant.

10.28.16 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Jeff Beck has more control over the electric guitar than about anyone I've ever seen. He's amazing. And Tal Wilkenfeld is about my favorite bassist.

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff Beck is a beast when it comes to blues guitar, I think he's really good at what he does. I wish I could see him and Clapton on the road, with Buddy Guy!