Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Police Taser Pastor 'Helping' Driver in Traffic Stop

WEBSTER, Texas — Police used a Taser on a pastor and pepper spray to disperse his congregants Wednesday after the pastor allegedly interfered with a traffic stop in the church parking lot.

Congregants say they were in the Iglesia Profetica Peniel church for an early morning prayer when pastor Jose Elias Moran went to assist the stopped driver, a church member, by asking the police what had happened.

An incident report on the Webster police department's Web site said Officer Raymond Berryman tried to calm Moran and arrest him. But police say he pushed the officer, went inside the church and returned with 40 other congregants.

The congregants say Moran fled into the church when the officer grew angry and began to yell, and Moran's family disputes that the pastor touched the officer.

Moran's son Miguel said 30 witnesses saw the officer turn aggressive and repeatedly kick the church door. Several members were hit with pepper spray and children were present, Miguel Moran said.

"They treated him as if he were a drug dealer or murderer, but he is a pastor that tries to help the community," Moran said. "The police always want to be right but they are not."

Moran's wife, Maria, said she tried to help her husband after he was hit with the Taser but police threatened to arrest her.

"My husband has a heart condition and with electrocution who knows what could've happened," Maria Moran said, referring to the Taser's electrical shock.

"A pastor has to tend to his flock," she said. "That is all he was doing."

Speaking from a hospital bed Wednesday night, Moran told The Associated Press he planned to hire an attorney to file charges against the officer. He was being held at the hospital overnight for additional tests.

Police did not immediately return calls seeking comment and more details of the incident. Police Sgt. James Lovel did not specify Moran's status, except to say he was in custody and negotiations for bail were taking place Wednesday night.

Webster is a suburb southeast of Houston.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...g/6507734.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Congregants say they were in the Iglesia Profetica Peniel church for an early morning prayer when pastor Jose Elias Moran went to assist the stopped driver, a church member, by asking the police what had happened.
    Uh....ask the guy what happened AFTER the cop leaves. Sounds like this whole cluster-fuck could've ended with a simple ticket being written.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

jesus...it never stops does it?

How many stories do we need to hear about renegade cops with major dysfunctions, their inability to reason, think and act calmly or their simple unwillingness to treat people decently.

This quote is dead on:

"The police always want to be right but they are not."
    The police, particularly in Texas, demand that citizens surrender any all reason, thought, or criticism when it comes to the police. They are supposed to be beyond reproach...beyond question, beyond criticism and if those of us that do dare speak out are immediately labled as people who don't "back the blue" who don't appreciate how hard it is to do the job...that we should walk a mile in their shoes blah blah blah.

I don't need to walk a mile in a man's shoes to know that they shouldn't be abusing their power and authority.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

We haven't heard all sides of this thing Broken.

Anyone with a lick of sense knows not to interfere with a cop even when he's doing something as mundane as writing a ticket. Seems to me if this pastor had not tried to insert himself into a situation that had ZIP to do with him, then everyone would have gone home that night without a second damn thought of the day's events.

Yeah, I agree.....there are cops out there with god complexes. They exist. I grant you that. There are also sharks swimming in the ocean. Best not to tempt fate by jumping in the water with a bucket filled with chum.

The moral.....DONT FUCK WITH THE COPS. You'll get your ass kicked for your trouble - every time.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    We haven't heard all sides of this thing Broken.

Anyone with a lick of sense knows not to interfere with a cop even when he's doing something as mundane as writing a ticket. Seems to me if this pastor had not tried to insert himself into a situation that had ZIP to do with him, then everyone would have gone home that night without a second damn thought of the day's events.

Yeah, I agree.....there are cops out there with god complexes. They exist. I grant you that. There are also sharks swimming in the ocean. Best not to tempt fate by jumping in the water with a bucket filled with chum.

The moral.....DONT FUCK WITH THE COPS. You'll get your ass kicked for your trouble - every time
    couldn't agree more. That's why I don't even talk to cops unless I absolutely have to. I don't respect cops...I fear them.

That said, a pastor, or a concerned citizen, SHOULD be able to walk up to a police officer and ask what's going on without fear of being tazered.

No we haven't heard everything and hopefully there will be some video and I'll be the first one to side with the cop if this pastor turned out to be a complete lunatic because as we all know, pastors are no more above reproach than cops are. Anyone can be a pastor and this guy could have come up on the cop and deserve every volt he got.

I am just very concerned about having to live in fear of being tazed by people whose salaries are paid for by our tax dollars and how are supposed to serve and protect NOT intimidate and abuse.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post

That said, a pastor, or a concerned citizen, SHOULD be able to walk up to a police officer and ask what's going on without fear of being tazered.

Unless the officer is clubbing a baby seal or something totally jacked by the standards of decent society, I have to disagree with this unless you just can't call it a weekend without having a mugshot taken.

Whatever that cop is doing, you'd best assume he has a reason first and hash things out later. If all he's doing is writing a fucking ticket, then maybe that's between him and the driver - and then the driver can fight it in court. No muss, no fuss. Pay the fine, and go home and have a brew and doink the wife. I've been written up for inane crap before. Know what? I kept my fuckin' yap shut and stayed in my car and .... Hey! I got to go the fuck home about ten minutes later.

Why do so many people go out of their way to fuck with things? "Oh I have a point to make.......i have a statement to be made."

Good, now you have a baton up your ass.

Sure, you might make a point in a courtroom later on, but in the meantime you just got yourslef and possibly some friends and/or family bitchslapped. So...no, I don't want Fred Slapnutz (Sorry, Chef) walking up to a random cop doing his job to see just what the problem is. It's NONE OF HIS BUSINESS. Especially if its a fucking citation.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Unless the officer is clubbing a baby seal or something totally jacked by the standards of decent society, I have to disagree with this unless you just can't call it a weekend without having a mugshot taken.

Whatever that cop is doing, you'd best assume he has a reason first and hash things out later. If all he's doing is writing a fucking ticket, then maybe that's between him and the driver - and then the driver can fight it in court. No muss, no fuss. Pay the fine, and go home and have a brew and doink the wife. I've been written up for inane crap before. Know what? I kept my fuckin' yap shut and stayed in my car and .... Hey! I got to go the fuck home about ten minutes later.

Why do so many people go out of their way to fuck with things? "Oh I have a point to make.......i have a statement to be made."

Good, now you have a baton up your ass.

Sure, you might make a point in a courtroom later on, but in the meantime you just got yourslef and possibly some friends and/or family bitchslapped. So...no, I don't want Fred Slapnutz (Sorry, Chef) walking up to a random cop doing his job to see just what the problem is. It's NONE OF HIS BUSINESS. Especially if its a fucking citation.
    i agree that people shouldn't do it because chances are they're going to get beat up and arrested by the cop but if I saw someone I knew being spoken to by a cop and I had something to say or offer that wa pertinent, I should might be pertinent or useful to the police officer I wish I could be able to walk up and say "excuse me officer, would you mind if I interjected." The cop then can say "sir, on your way, none of your business, if you say another word, I'll cite you too." Then I can say "hmm...do I push the issue or do I wait for court day."

If more cops were normal, even-tempered, civilized people, we wouldn't have to live in fear of them. That's really what it boils down to.

I get that cops have to be really careful becaue they don't know who the hell is rolling up on them and they could be in serious danger, but at the same time, people in general, cops and people, really should be more civil to one another.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

While it does sound like another abuse of a tazer situation, it is pretty odd that the pastor went back in to the church and brought out 40 more people with him. That just sounds utterly stupid and promotes a mob, which in turn the police then at that point were forced to control. I'm leaning more towards dumb pastor than dumb cop but most likely a pretty solid mix of both.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    While it does sound like another abuse of a tazer situation, it is pretty odd that the pastor went back in to the church and brought out 40 more people with him. That just sounds utterly stupid and promotes a mob, which in turn the police then at that point were forced to control. I'm leaning more towards dumb pastor than dumb cop but most likely a pretty solid mix of both.
    Based entirely on what's in the article, I agree. However as LL stated, there's probably more to the story...
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Interesting point of view...

After attempting an arrest, Moran fled into his church and returned with 40 adults to back him up. Berryman dispersed this mob with pepper spray and subdued Moran with a taser in order to arrest him. If you tell the story this way, it actually sounds like Berryman was just being an overly aggressive but within his rights cop (I’m biased, don’t like Texas cops much).

What if you tell the story as if it were happening at a bar. Replace church with bar and congregants with party goers. I’m willing to bet the story would not have even made the news.

Nice going AP – lets create a few martyrs.

http://mojoey.blogspot.com/2009/07/w...ter-texas.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...g/6507734.html

According to Smiley, an officer was talking with a motorist in the church parking lot when he ran a registration check and discovered the man had no car insurance.

Moran approached the officer and began yelling at him, demanding to know why a member of his congregation had been stopped, the police chief said.

“He said we were on private property and wanted us off the property,” Smiley said. “He was pretty aggressive.”

When Moran refused an order to leave, the officer told him that he was under arrest. Moran pushed the officer as he tried to handcuff him, Smiley said, and fled inside the church.

Moran later came out with a group of about 40 people who surrounded the officer, Smiley said. The officer, fearing for his safety, used pepper spray to disperse the crowd.

When backup officers tried to make the arrest, Smiley said Moran pushed another officer, who used his Taser to subdue him.
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Use discretion when doing this, because it's not a good idea in most cases. Let them do their job.

VH Links Challenge: next time any of you see a cop writing a ticket, pull up behind a cop, get out, and ask him what's going on. Let us know what he says and how it works out for you.

Exactly. It seems like this pastor was asking for it. And I also heartily agree with Voivod's post, too.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Congregants say they were in the Iglesia Profetica Peniel church
    Heh heh heh heh heh heh.

Peniel sounds like penis.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Last Online

03.01.11 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Interesting point of view...

After attempting an arrest, Moran fled into his church and returned with 40 adults to back him up. Berryman dispersed this mob with pepper spray and subdued Moran with a taser in order to arrest him. If you tell the story this way, it actually sounds like Berryman was just being an overly aggressive but within his rights cop (I’m biased, don’t like Texas cops much).

What if you tell the story as if it were happening at a bar. Replace church with bar and congregants with party goers. I’m willing to bet the story would not have even made the news.

Nice going AP – lets create a few martyrs.

http://mojoey.blogspot.com/2009/07/w...ter-texas.html

that's a very very good point.

edit: DAMN IT! I need to start remind The Wife to log out of the Links! This is Broken not LV.
    Last edited by lacy_vious; 07.03.09 at 07:22 AM.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Personally I'd be more worried about a bunch of irate, militant church-goers than than a gang of bar-fight, double-vision alcoholics.

Pastor Ice and his muthafuckin' posse of angels.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/