Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Gibson LP Studio vs. Epiphone LP Custom

I am in the market for a les paul but I need to know from gear experts if the main differences are that one is made in Nashville and the other in China. I beleive the Gibson LP Studio is more of a mass produced machine built Gibson and very little crafting is involved as compared to the higher end Gibson LPs. I am leaning toward the Gibson since it will hold/increase in value as compared to the Epi. Both are priced around the same. What is the recommendation and playablility differences?

Thanks.
    Another life saved by girl on girl action--House

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get a studio. Better hardware and craftsmanship. They are cheaper due to the lack of an expensive top as they come in basic colors and finished. The best part is that that they have 490 and 498 Gibson pickups in them. those pickups absolutely scream. In my opinion the best Gibson pickups on the market.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1 for the Gibson Studio.

No fancy top, no fancy inlays, and no binding but MUCH better electronics, craftsmanship, and it is more likely to retain it's value.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Can never go wrong with a Studio. I've had two. Wish I still had em! Had to thin the herd tho!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I have to respectively disagree. I have a epiphone les paul custom, and it's the best guitar i've ever owned. And owned PRS, Fender, Gibson Les Paul, Wolfgang, SG, Explorer.

I absolutely love mine. Maybe I got a 1 in a 100 guitar but, just because It says gibson on the headstock, doesn't make it better.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Littler Monster View Post
    I have to respectively disagree. I have a epiphone les paul custom, and it's the best guitar i've ever owned. And owned PRS, Fender, Gibson Les Paul, Wolfgang, SG, Explorer.

I absolutely love mine. Maybe I got a 1 in a 100 guitar but, just because It says gibson on the headstock, doesn't make it better.

I wouldn't suggested the Studio simply because it says "Gibson" on the headstock.

I think the Epi Customs are nice guitars ... I have one and it plays great!
    But the stock electronics aren't as good in the Epi as they are in the Gibson and ... that's a fact. Overall craftsmanship will vary from one guitar to the next, regardless of manufacture, so it's always best to test drive a few until you find one you like. Generally speaking though ... I think Gibson has an edge over Epiphone. Finally, resale value ... doesn't mean squat if you know that you will keep the guitar forever, but should you ever want or need to sell the guitar, I would bet that the Gibson would be more likely to retain it's value.

I'm just say'n

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

absolutely agree that it saying Gibson on the headstock does not mean a better guitar every time out.

If you gave me the money to buy myself something, I'd get a studio. The agressive price drop on them makes them too good to say no to.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The Epi Custom plays nice but didn't sound good to me. I would avoid the faded LP studios, the red & brown ones anyway, I had one of those SGs wasn't very happy with it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...sku=580200#new

I traded the SG for one of these. Seriously, don't buy an Epi before you play one. It still doesn't sound exactly like an LP, but to me it sounded much better than the Epi.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

being as i'm the resident links Les Paul hater i thought i might throw you another option (just to confuse matters) have a look at the Michael Kelly 'patriot' range...premium parts at very good prices, you may be able to pick up a guitar thats on par with a Les Paul for the cost of an Epi..
    http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/p..._supreme.html#
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

DLR era
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.29.13 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also check out the Edwards Les Paul's on Evilbay. There made by ESP japan ive only heard great reviews about them. Cant order from anywhere here in the US only direct from japan or evilbay. If i ever get a Paul again it's goin to be a Edwards. I had both a Studio and a Epi custom cherry burst and they where both average at best, but the Epi felt and looked better but the studio had a better tone. The problem i had with the Studio was, it came with sharp fret ends and needed a fret level,The Epi custom seemed to have almost perfect frets/fret ends but the finish had bleed marks on the binding in places and the tone was pretty lifeless.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vanhammersly View Post
    I am in the market for a les paul but I need to know from gear experts if the main differences are that one is made in Nashville and the other in China. I beleive the Gibson LP Studio is more of a mass produced machine built Gibson and very little crafting is involved as compared to the higher end Gibson LPs. I am leaning toward the Gibson since it will hold/increase in value as compared to the Epi. Both are priced around the same. What is the recommendation and playablility differences?

Thanks.
    Actually, the LP Studio is one of the better values, as it just lacks such things as bindings and a pearloid Gibson logo. Big whoop.

I would argue that there is quite a bit more craftsmanship in a Gibson than in an Epi. It doesn't mean that the Epi is a crap guitar; however, it is not quite as nice as a Gibson. I have had Epis that were exceptional, and I have had Gibsons that needed quite quite a bit of setup work.

If it were me, I would get a Faded, as it is just a nice workhorse guitar, priced very nicely, and it won't break your heart when you scratch it.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    absolutely agree that it saying Gibson on the headstock does not mean a better guitar every time out.

If you gave me the money to buy myself something, I'd get a studio. The agressive price drop on them makes them too good to say no to.
    As a sidebar to this, I was reading an article by a guy online who is apparently a whos who of guitar builders. (Maybe Jimi sugested the guy to me? ) anyway, on his site he had pics and a fairly detailed account of building Slash's "Vintage Gibson Les Pauls". I had heard rumours that Slashes main Pauls were fakes and that he even posed in a Gibson ad with a fake, but did'nt believe it until I read this guys articles. Basically he is so good at forgeries aside from deep investigation of the serial, you'd be hard pressed to tell, but basically he takes a good guitar design and build incredible versions. Sorry i can't remember the guys name at the moment, and I'm on a quick break at work, but just google Luthier and Slashes Les Pauls, and something should come up. It's quite a read.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

Slash mentions in his autobiography that a guy named Jim Foot from Redondo Beach, CA built his original Les Paul...it apparently was a '59 replica...not sure if this is the guy you're thinking of...
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Slash mentions in his autobiography that a guy named Jim Foot from Redondo Beach, CA built his original Les Paul...it apparently was a '59 replica...not sure if this is the guy you're thinking of...
    Just did a little digging, and it was actually a partnership of two guys. Their names are actually Chris Derrig (deceased) and Peter "Max" Baranet. It's unclear which of the gentlemen actually built the guitars for Slash but Chris Derrig apparently was a master with the spray gun and the perfect hand rubbed finish. at any rate, apparently Slash's main guitar for Appetite; his '59 was what they reffered to as the "Derrig Burst". I'm not the biggest Slash or G&R fan, but I always dug his "vintage Pauls". No matter their volume of requests for instruments, they only put out about 12 per year. I found a pic on one of the sites tonight that shows Peter working on Eddie's Frankenstein. Unfortunately, I could not save the pic or link it. It pops up broken when I submit but it's a scanned pic of the Frankie on his bench. It had the red added at the time of the pic being taken though. No idea what he is doing to it or why he had it in the first place, but it's not a fake. I'll dig around and see if I can find this pic elsewhere.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So the reason I can't post the pic is because the site KrisGerrig.com is no more, but still shown on Google images. If you wanna see the pic of the Frankie, go to mylespaul.com. Type in "Baranet working on Van Halen's guitar". it tries to hotlink you to the Krisgerrig.com site, but there's just domain advertising there now. You'll at least get the smaller sample image. If your resolution is good enough, you should be able to blow it up a bit. No luck so far trying to find another site with a full size image, but hey, I'm persistant.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.22.09 at 09:40 PM.