Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Default Has Anyone Taken a Crack at the Chickenfoot Tunes Yet?

As the title says, has anyone tried to figure out and play any of the Chickenfoot tunes yet?

I picked up my ax yesterday and started figuring out "Soap on a Roap." I wanted a track that rocked out pretty hard, but also wouldn't keep me tied to my chair for hours a day.

I've basically figured it out from beginning to end, but I have a little ways to go before I'm up to playing it at full speed, all the way through without too many mistakes.

The main riff is really fun to groove. Joe has a lot of tasty licks bridging the main riff and it took a while to figure the little nuances out.

Anyway, I thought maybe we could start a thread where people who are working on Chickenfoot tunes can share their thoughts and tips and people who are stuck can collaborate with those that may have "answers" or tips.

I've only gotten through "SOAR," so I'm on able to substantively help with this tune so far. I don't have the time to tab it out completely on Guitar Pro.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    As the title says, has anyone tried to figure out and play any of the Chickenfoot tunes yet?

I picked up my ax yesterday and started figuring out "Soap on a Roap." I wanted a track that rocked out pretty hard, but also wouldn't keep me tied to my chair for hours a day.

I've basically figured it out from beginning to end, but I have a little ways to go before I'm up to playing it at full speed, all the way through without too many mistakes.

The main riff is really fun to groove. Joe has a lot of tasty licks bridging the main riff and it took a while to figure the little nuances out.

Anyway, I thought maybe we could start a thread where people who are working on Chickenfoot tunes can share their thoughts and tips and people who are stuck can collaborate with those that may have "answers" or tips.

I've only gotten through "SOAR," so I'm on able to substantively help with this tune so far. I don't have the time to tab it out completely on Guitar Pro.
    I have. Like you.....Soap on a Rope, Down the Drain (easy but love the solo.....bit of a Billy Gibbons vibe to it.) and Turning Left. Just tunes I've been jamming to. I'll dig deeper when i get a bit more time to do so.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are already some tabs up on the web.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

ďÖand thatís when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.Ē

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been workin on Sexy Little Thing. Still workin on the intro feel. The rest is semi easy.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I have. Like you.....Soap on a Rope, Down the Drain (easy but love the solo.....bit of a Billy Gibbons vibe to it.) and Turning Left. Just tunes I've been jamming to. I'll dig deeper when i get a bit more time to do so.
    Cool man! Turning Left or Get It Up may be my next projects. How far have you gotten with Turning Left?

Funny, with SOAR, I really love cranking it up and playing it with Chad and Mikey grooving and thumping behind it. It really gives you a taste of the power they create!

Did you ever play Satch stuff prior to the 'Foot? I did waaaay back in the day, so it has been fun rediscovering some of his stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Cool man! Turning Left or Get It Up may be my next projects. How far have you gotten with Turning Left?

Funny, with SOAR, I really love cranking it up and playing it with Chad and Mikey grooving and thumping behind it. It really gives you a taste of the power they create!

Did you ever play Satch stuff prior to the 'Foot? I did waaaay back in the day, so it has been fun rediscovering some of his stuff.
    I've got the whole song pretty much down. Satch's solo style is quite different from mine, so to do it note for note, I'll need a bit more time. As far as playing Satch stuff, well.... Surfing with the Alien was a great album. I actually started tapping after hearing Satch Boogie! I know, I know......A VH fan claiming he did'nt tap, hearing VH. Well it's true. Not that I did'nt try it alone, but honestly, I only did any tapping performance wise after hearing Satch. I never wanted to have that stigma of "Oh look who's trying to be Eddie Van Halen!" When Satch Boogie came out, somehow it made it a little more broad a technique somehow. It got people talking about the technique in a more technical way. It was'nt like I was trying to do it as a trick, or mimick Eddie, or Satch, I just dug the sound, and if it fit a solo, I'd do it. So long story short ....Yeah, I played Satch.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.02.09 at 12:23 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so you guys figure these out pretty well by ear?

how many of you know theory and have a good ear vs. just have a good ear but that is enough?

just curious, that is a skill i've never developed, its neat to see.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil View Post

how many of you know theory and have a good ear vs. just have a good ear but that is enough?

speaking just for me....i don't know any theory and i only 'know' 3 scales major/minor pentatonic and the blues scale. i can't read music (it may as well be egyptian hyrogliphics) but i have a pretty well deveoped ear and can figure out most tunes without too much trouble.
    as for the chicken foot tunes...i'm not a huge fan of the disc, but i am learning turning left.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thats pretty cool!

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know basic music theory, took it for 3 years in high school, but I have trouble playing by ear. I use TAB or than I use my ear, which I know isn't good. I've gotten better with my ear. I just learned the Top Gun Anthem by ear, and it wasn't that hard at all.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil View Post

I have enough theory under my belt to be mildly, but not totally dangerous. However it doesn't really help me at all when figuring out a song. I pretty much figure everything out by ear.

Also, I learned a lot of Satch stuff back in the day by tab books, so I understand his approach to some of his licks already. For me, it is a comforting starting point to fine-tune exactly what he's doing in the Chickenfoot songs I'm trying to figure out.

That's why I can see all the errors in the tab that is out there right now. Some of them are ok, but a lot of them are horribly off.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Frankenstrat View Post
    I know basic music theory, took it for 3 years in high school, but I have trouble playing by ear. I use TAB or than I use my ear, which I know isn't good. I've gotten better with my ear. I just learned the Top Gun Anthem by ear, and it wasn't that hard at all.
    Nice dude. That's a good start. Get something with a catchy melody and get your fingers to work is how I'd recommend anyone to start learning by ear.

Patience is the key though. Tons of trial and error, so you can't be afraid of making a mistake. You'll make tons in the beginning, but mistakes are good. Once you hear for yourself that it isn't quite right, you'll struggle until you do get it. When you do, it is liberating.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I took a few years of theory, dont use it much

I am about 30% tab, 60% ear, 10% watch someone else.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.12.11 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Get It Up Main Riff:
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -----------------------------7-
    2-2-0-2--2-0-3--3-0-5--5-/9--'

Got that down by ear was pretty easy, couldnt figure out the rest though

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice dude. That's a good start. Get something with a catchy melody and get your fingers to work is how I'd recommend anyone to start learning by ear.

Patience is the key though. Tons of trial and error, so you can't be afraid of making a mistake. You'll make tons in the beginning, but mistakes are good. Once you hear for yourself that it isn't quite right, you'll struggle until you do get it. When you do, it is liberating.
    Thanks for the tips, the more people can offer advice the better. I'm still getting use to some tricks on the fretboard, like string skipping and alternate picking.