Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 2,099 Times in 686 Posts

Default VH-1988-Cotton Bowl--Intro & Summer Nights

Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

05.17.12 @ 01:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Holy Hell!!! I was at this gig and it's the one where Sam promised the free show. I think I have this on VHS somewhere. Great find but it was a terrible show.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I am bitter about watching this, Sam sounding bad or not. I WAS there until after Metallica played. I was going down on the floor of the Cotton Bowl with a couple of my friends to get into position for the Scorpions. The guy who drove us down there was following us along with his girlfriend. I asked if they were going down of the floor with us. He stated they were ready to go becuase the "dope smoke" was making him sick. Are you freaking kidding me??? We left. Had to. We had no other way home. I was pissed off to the highest level of pisstivity. I was slamming beers on the way home. I got hammered, but would have rather seen VH and the Scorpions.

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

I was at this show. I thought the show was great even though Sammy didn't sing the entire time. It was interesting seeing Mikey take over the vox. I was front and center on the floor the entire time VH was on the stage. My brother came down from Pa. and saw the show with us. He wasn't used to the TX heat and had to go up to a shaded area to cool off. Meanwhile, I stayed on the floor and enjoyed the show.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 01:10 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts

I was at this show as well and had just graduated from high school. It was also my first concert experience and something that I'll never forget. It was amazing to see a huge band like Metallica, before they were top billing.

I was mainly there to see Van Halen, but thought that the Scorpions put out the best effort.

I remember that it was so freaking hot. I sat in the stands & the shade for most of the show, and then came down to the floor for Scorpions & Van Halen.

As "seed" mentioned first, this was also the show were Sammy promised to come back to Dallas and do a free show some time. His voice gave out after only about an hour. I remember we were so pumped when Sammy said he would do a free show, but then got back to our cars and realized that he was probably full of it.

Well Sammy was true to his word and I'll never forget it. And the famous Dallas Free Show in the Downtown West End district took place 3 years later. I remember how huge Van Halen was even in 1991, and the buzz that took Dallas by storm for the free show. The main rock station (97.1 The Eagle) was promoting a huge "double secret" annoucement, and ended up promoting the VH free show only 1 day before the event. Even though the show was short notice and took place in the middle of the day, around 4pm, I couldn't believe how many people showed up.