Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future...

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Default The Future...

I love my country, but I think the dream is over.

A nation's status in the world was always depicted by the size and power of it's military. Or at least that's how it's been in the past.

This is seen with Babylonian , Medo-Persian, Greek, and Roman empires.

However - the need for such an overwhelmingly strong military is pretty much moot as we continue to grow dependent upon the economies of foreign nations. Strategists agree the next major war won't be fought with tanks and planes, but with economy and computers.

No need to use military force if you can make another nation a dependent teet-sucking consumer.

Although America is the strong-man militarily - China seems to be holding more gold than anyone.
    I don't know the statistics, but India may soon have more U.S. jobs that what's in the United States!

I'm afraid we're pretty much living of their puppet-strings of other countries.

I don't know - maybe I'm just talking out of my butt...

Your thoughts?

Although this video doesn't necessarily fit the subject 'per se' but it's certainly thought provoking consider how change is unstoppable...

Last edited by Mister T.; 06.30.09 at 01:07 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Rome as you pointed out was once seen as the center of power for the entire world. That didn't last.....neither will we. It's just entropy. Can't be stopped.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This very thing has actually been lingering in my mind for several years now, this Nation of ours has been slowly and steadily been rolling out of control for decades and it's finaaly coming to a head. We have what, 20+ Nimitz class aircraft carriers and work has begun on the new class already?!

As much as I advocate a strong military, we are heading down the same path that the USSR did 20 years ago, and it is not sustainable...especially when our gov't is spending money like crazy. I'm not sure where it goes from here, but this weekend signifies a significant step that our Forefathers took to get the ball rolling, perhaps it's a perfect time for us to remind OUR elected officials of that fact.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Imperialism will always only end badly.

But the point is this. If a country tries to extend it's hand and influence too far, it will fall, but the nature of it's fall is determined by what it does when it reaches that realisation.

In recent centuries, both France and the UK had vast swathes of land they had stolen in Asia and Africa and beyond... They let go or were driven out, and both countries now still enjoy good lifestyle statuses.

Countries only collapse when they fight beyond their means. Let's hope the US does pull back from it's recent foreign policy disasters of the last 30 or so years. my worry is that, more than any time in history, nations are less relevant than the power brokers and huge corporations which do not worry too much about borders. Just because they are from a particular country does not mean they hold any loyalty to that country.

We shall see.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wait, when did the United States define itself by it's military?

Don't get me wrong, our military is about the only thing that functions above expectations. It's just that overseas, most people when asked about what's cool about the US; they respond : Rock & Roll, Chevy, Levi's, Apple, Brad Pitt, and Angelina Jolie.

Our military has hardly been out of control, more importantly the ultimate destructive power we possess has never even been close to being used.

We can elect a new congress next year and a new President in 2012.

Relax.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

Our military has hardly been out of control, more importantly the ultimate destructive power we possess has never even been close to being used.

Relax.
    I think it started when Roosevelt sought to demonstrate growing American military power by ordering the 'Great White Fleet' to circumnavigate the globe.

America doesn't do this in a totalitarian way by any means.
    But I've always felt it was more of a 'Righteous Might' type of principle.

All I'm saying is - we as Americans think our nation is in this special realm of sorts with thoughts of - "Our military, our technology, etc... when reality is we're broke and have a confused national identity.

It seems the new form patriotism is catering to the minority while sacrificing the majority.

yada yada yada...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't get me wrong, our military is about the only thing that functions above expectations. It's just that overseas, most people when asked about what's cool about the US; they respond : Rock & Roll, Chevy, Levi's, Apple, Brad Pitt, and Angelina Jolie.

We can elect a new congress next year and a new President in 2012.

Relax.
    what difference will it make?

Too many people still subscribe to this republican vs democrat bullshit, as if there is any truly significant difference between one party and the other.

The USA is on its way down. Face it.

This country took its turn at the top, just like the greeks, romans, english and spanish. Soon it will be the chinese and indians turn to man the wheel.

What's more important is what the USA does going forward. Does the government pathetically try to cling to power by punching out more air craft carriers, printing more money and alienating those that want to come here and contribute to our culture? Does US society continue to eat big macs, drink 64 ounce sodas, bitch about these damn feriners and put all its energy into passionately following octomom and john and kate? Do the warring parties continue to fracture their supporters all the while continuing to create a situation where less than 10% of the population actually votes because they feel there is no one to vote for?

It's not looking pretty folks.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

I am so happy that I never had kids because I would hate to look into their eyes and see what Congress and Obama are doing. Would have hated doing that during Bush's last six years too.

I am also thankful that for a period of time, I was able to experience the feeling when we were on top. Even in the recession of the early 80's, people still had hope. I don't even think the most ardent Obama supporters actually would bet their money that things will even get close to Reagan or Clinton era. Europe is not doing much better than us and the typical government over there is the ideal that Pelosi and Obama strive for.

We needed to let the thing crash and all we are doing is giving the economy chemo while its smoking Lucky Strike non-filters.

What we have is how its going to be. Thank God I have only about 30-40 years left. I would hate to be 21 going to college right now. As Sammy said "The Dream is Over"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I suspect predictions of the demise of the United States are premature at best, and wishfull thinking at the worst.

We're a soft Empire, not a hard one like France, Spain, England and Holland were in their time. We don't take and hold territory for perminant use. The places where we have been usually end up better off than before we showed up. Puerto Rico and Samoa have twice rejected independance from the US by popular vote. Vietnam made the first overture to restore relations with the US. Panama remains friendly towards the US. Japan and Germany were restored by a victorious US, and today are both thriving democracies.

The Philippines lived under both US and Japanese occupation, it has taken them YEARS to reconcile with Japan. Even though our intitial action with that country during the Spanish-American War was probably as brutal on the civilian population as the Japanese, Philippinoes flooded into the US during the 20th Century to seek a better life.

We invaded Canada, then left, and then we invaded Mexico, and then left. The Mexican territories that ended up in our possession WE PAID FOR. We didn't have to do this, we crushed them, and we could have told them to eat shit. Instead we got out our check book and paid them. What kind of Empire does that? How many civilizations did the Romans erase? The Egyptians? The Persians? Hell, we couldn't bring ourselves to destroy all of the indigenous tribes of our chunk of North America.

While China is the emerging superpower, the United States remains unique in that the one thing that makes it a great country has not changed. People from all around the world line up every day to get visas so that they can move to the US. Thousands more risk their lives to cross deserts, and oceans just for the chance to drive a cab, or work some shitty job here. China cannot say that.

I said this recently in another thread, a few weeks ago they found some half-frozen guy in the wheel-well of a jetline from Africa. If America can still attract guys like that I'd say our future is pretty solid.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I suspect predictions of the demise of the United States are premature at best, and wishfull thinking at the worst.

We're a soft Empire, not a hard one like France, Spain, England and Holland were in their time. We don't take and hold territory for perminant use. The places where we have been usually end up better off than before we showed up. Puerto Rico and Samoa have twice rejected independance from the US by popular vote. Vietnam made the first overture to restore relations with the US. Panama remains friendly towards the US. Japan and Germany were restored by a victorious US, and today are both thriving democracies.

The Philippines lived under both US and Japanese occupation, it has taken them YEARS to reconcile with Japan. Even though our intitial action with that country during the Spanish-American War was probably as brutal on the civilian population as the Japanese, Philippinoes flooded into the US during the 20th Century to seek a better life.

We invaded Canada, then left, and then we invaded Mexico, and then left. The Mexican territories that ended up in our possession WE PAID FOR. We didn't have to do this, we crushed them, and we could have told them to eat shit. Instead we got out our check book and paid them. What kind of Empire does that? How many civilizations did the Romans erase? The Egyptians? The Persians? Hell, we couldn't bring ourselves to destroy all of the indigenous tribes of our chunk of North America.

While China is the emerging superpower, the United States remains unique in that the one thing that makes it a great country has not changed. People from all around the world line up every day to get visas so that they can move to the US. Thousands more risk their lives to cross deserts, and oceans just for the chance to drive a cab, or work some shitty job here. China cannot say that.

I said this recently in another thread, a few weeks ago they found some half-frozen guy in the wheel-well of a jetline from Africa. If America can still attract guys like that I'd say our future is pretty solid.
    i don't think I'd phrase it quite like that.

Though you bring up very valid points every where else...well done.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

One time I had sex with an alligator. That's how I lost this finger.
    Wait, that's not my finger!

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How bout this. I met Gary Cherone at a Starbucks in Peabody Massachusetts on Sunday!!!

Just trying to lighten the mood.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoHalen5150 View Post
    How bout this. I met Gary Cherone at a Starbucks in Peabody Massachusetts on Sunday!!!

Just trying to lighten the mood.
    How is Gary? Did he make assistant manager yet?

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    How is Gary? Did he make assistant manager yet?
    Never stop Bullwinkle. You just made my day.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/