Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Washburn N4 Disappointment

So I've been on the lookout for one of these for a while. Finally found one on ebay - specs:

2007 Washburn N4 - Padauk Custom Shop Relic'd
    Standard Pickups (Bill Lawrence L500 and Duncan '59)

Finally get it and it needed a little set-up but not much tweaking. Play it unplugged for a while and it's okay but the neck is not as nice as EBMM to me.

So, I plug it in to my rig and it is AWFUL!!!! All mid-range and like razor blades. I tweaked the amp settings but it still didn't help much.

What a disappointment - hoping that I can work out a return. Damn shame. Wonder if the swamp ash ones are warmer?

Anyone else try one? Nuno's sound is usually decently warm with some mid-punch but this was stunning.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

What are you playing through?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My rig is a Rocktron Chameleon directly in to the power amp section of a Peavey 5150 Combo. Sounds great with all my other guitars. I also tried it right in to the 5150 Combo. Wonder if the Padauk wood really affects the sound that much?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.12.11 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

put in different pick ups?
    only if you think the rest looks and play nice though

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah, it's going out the door. Feel was okay but I'd never use it as an everyday piece. The EBMM Axis will most likely be my workhorse going forward but I've got a Steinberger on the way :-).

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've never played that model, though I've heard nothing but glowing reviews. I love the N4 out of swamp ash...it would be my main guitar if not for the super slim neck.

I also adore the short lived Nuno P4 signature...awesome awesome awesome guitar that they made for him during his Schizophonic days...I've never seen him pull them out since.

It's everything you could want out of a Les Paul and none of the bullshit. They are neck through designs, with solid mahogany and a maple cap. The fretboard is ebony with gorgeous tear drop inlays and two seymour duncan humbuckers. Single tone and single volume. It is a mean mean guitar. I have a black one that I scored on Ebay a while back and just restrung it over the weekend as a matter of fact. I need to take it to a luthier to have some work done on it...i'm getting some fret buzz that i can't seem to get rid of...but damn, tone for days and days and days and days.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Nuno and I never play it..it's just a really uncomfortable guitar. I'd rather play my Fender Mexi-Strat with a Hot Rails in the bridge position....it sounds and feels much better.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i play one quite regularly at various gigs (borrowed from our other guitarist) and love it, it's quite bright sounding but but not (imo) too middy or likerazor blades at all. are you 100% sure it has the correct puckups etc?
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pickups are correct according to the seller.

If he won't take it back I'm willing to sell for the same I paid - pics below:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by danward5150 View Post
    Pickups are correct according to the seller.

If he won't take it back I'm willing to sell for the same I paid - pics below:

damn...if i was in the states, i'd grab that off you in no time
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a shame.
    Its not a bad looking axe.
    Im thinkin the pups just aren't right for that guitar.
    Both pups have great track records.
    You could pup a 59 in a coffee table and it would sound good.
    Swappin em would be a solution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

For one Paduak is not a good wood to use for the whole body. Way to heavy and bright. Most paduak is used in bass guitar building. Just like purple heart. The only thing it should be used for in a 6 string guitar is a cap on another type of body wood. I would be surprised in Nuno even like it or played it at all. It was just a fad or something different for them to do. Not good. I never see him with a Padauk one anymore......that should tell you right there ! And that neck design , as cool as it is leaves to much of the neck exposed. It does not go far enough into the body. I am sure someone will say they love their Padauk guitar, but not many would. Ask yourself how many manufacturers use Padauk ? If you buy another buy the
    Alder one.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally sold this on ebay for $150 profit (after listing twice). Hope this works out for the buyer better than it did for me.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    For one Paduak is not a good wood to use for the whole body. Way to heavy and bright. Most paduak is used in bass guitar building. Just like purple heart. The only thing it should be used for in a 6 string guitar is a cap on another type of body wood. I would be surprised in Nuno even like it or played it at all. It was just a fad or something different for them to do. Not good. I never see him with a Padauk one anymore......that should tell you right there ! And that neck design , as cool as it is leaves to much of the neck exposed. It does not go far enough into the body. I am sure someone will say they love their Padauk guitar, but not many would. Ask yourself how many manufacturers use Padauk ? If you buy another buy the
    Alder one.

I respectfully disagree ...
    I built a San Dimas style guitar out of a one-piece padauk body, put a '59 trembucker in it and I thought it sounded awesome! Of course "awesome" is subject to interpretation but I personally thought the tone of padauk was very unique. Not to mention the wood itself was absolutely GORGEOUS!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Very pretty guitar...classy even.