Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Pickup advice

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Pickup advice

I'm building a new guitar - Body will be Swamp Ash with a Floyd Rose, Rear Humbucker and Single-Coil in the front.

Think I'm going to stay with a Fender Lace Gold for the front as I have one around and their tone is pretty good. Don't use the front pickup much.

As a frame of reference I love the sound of the EBMM Axis rear pickup - nice tone. I also like the humbucker that Fender uses in their fat strats (think it's a DH-1).

My concern is that with the wood choice those pickups may not have the same tone. I'm tempted to try the EVH Frankenstein pickup since the Frankie was ash. However, it's not splitable which I also would like.

Any folks out there with swamp ash bodies and pickups that kick? I'm using it mostly for rock. Basically the humbucker needs to sound warm with some mid-punch but split it needs to give me a nice Bryan Adams kind of feel.

Also, anybody know if the EBMM Axis pickups can be made to split?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nuno's N4 is made of swamp ash and he uses a Bill Lawrence L500 at the bridge. You should check that one out.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danward5150 View Post
    I'm building a new guitar - Body will be Swamp Ash with a Floyd Rose, Rear Humbucker and Single-Coil in the front.

Think I'm going to stay with a Fender Lace Gold for the front as I have one around and their tone is pretty good. Don't use the front pickup much.

As a frame of reference I love the sound of the EBMM Axis rear pickup - nice tone. I also like the humbucker that Fender uses in their fat strats (think it's a DH-1).

My concern is that with the wood choice those pickups may not have the same tone. I'm tempted to try the EVH Frankenstein pickup since the Frankie was ash. However, it's not splitable which I also would like.

Any folks out there with swamp ash bodies and pickups that kick? I'm using it mostly for rock. Basically the humbucker needs to sound warm with some mid-punch but split it needs to give me a nice Bryan Adams kind of feel.

Also, anybody know if the EBMM Axis pickups can be made to split?
    I don't know about that particular pickup, but being able to split coils is nothing more than using a four-conductor wire, and good techs can make that happen for $50 or less.

So many choices out there for Ash- Duncan custom custom, Duncan '78, I even like the GFS VEH on Ash. Ask around, but those are my three choices for Ash-bodied guitars.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

01.26.13 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i should be done with a swamp ash/floyd/frankenstein im putting together by the end of next week hopefully. ill let you know how it sounds.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danward5150 View Post

I'm tempted to try the EVH Frankenstein pickup since the Frankie was ash. However, it's not splitable which I also would like.

You might want to reconsider the EVH Frankenstein humbucker for your project ... I installed one in this swamp ash Warmoth parts Strat and it sounds amazing! Nice warm crunch when opened up, clear single-coil like tones when rolled back. The neck pick-up is a Dimarzio Virtual Blues.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 07.02.09 at 09:56 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the new EVH frankenstein pickups are great pickups,buit if you want more of a PAF vesion of that sound,check out the motor city 2nd degree blackbelt.here is a clip of that pickup as well as a plexi and a boss ge10 eq for a little boost.speakers are 1972 greenbacks..
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

you could try a duncan Pearly Gates, i love this pickup and have it installed in an ash strat (and several other guitars), sounds superb no matter what drive settings i am using on what ever amp i choose to be using (line6 spider, 5150, jcm800, roland bolt60) it a superb all round pickup.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    you could try a duncan Pearly Gates, i love this pickup and have it installed in an ash strat (and several other guitars), sounds superb no matter what drive settings i am using on what ever amp i choose to be using (line6 spider, 5150, jcm800, roland bolt60) it a superb all round pickup.
    I concur, the "Pearly Gates" is a great pick up, it be should considered it as well.
    WGAF?!!