Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

11.14.12 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Original 24 track Thriller tape on eBay with alternate Ed solos

Sorry if this was already posted, but I stumbled across this recording on eBay featuring several alternate takes takes of Ed's solo from Beat It. I don't recall hearing these before, are they in circulation?

$700,000 auction

What is up for auction here is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME offering of one of the original 24 track 2 inch tape recordings done at WESTLAKE recording studio in 1982 for the THRILLER album. The tape has two different recordings of "BEAT IT" on it. One cut has 4 different Eddie Van Halen solos on it to choose from for the lead solo in the middle, plus the song starts out with a long Van Halen solo. It is an unusual long version 5 min 46 sec. Also the tape has a long version of "BILLIE JEAN" 7 min. 41 sec. and "THE GIRL IS MINE" a duet with Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney on the tape at 4 min. 52 sec. Also on the tape is the song "HUMAN NATURE" time on this one is 4 min 51 sec. Notice that time on each of these recordings is at least one to 2 minutes longer than the cuts on the thriller album. That may be because some songs were faded and trailed off at the end for the album. OR these cuts may be some others that they were thinking of putting on the album but may have been to long. There is some of the usual talking like take one and roll it along with count offs of 1, 2, 3, 4 before a couple of recordings started to track.. You can isolate and play one track at a time or as many tracks as you want, or all 24t racks at once. When you isolate one or more of Michael`s vocal tracks you can hear him breath between singing. I along with my business partner own a professional recording studio in the Los Angeles area and we have owned this tape since the late 1980`s or early 90`s. We acquired this tape along with some other used 2 inch 24 track tape to use for recording projects in our studio. Back in the 80`s and 90`s we used to get used tape that had a project on it and then re-record over them a new project in our studio.. We never recorded over this Michael Jackson project so we kept it in storage for all these years. We took the tape out after hearing of Michael`s untimely passing to see if the tape was still good after all this time, and transfered all of the tracks of the songs on to pro tools for safe keeping. The tape is 100% fine with no splices, rips, or tares and can be played and mixed off of any 2 inch 24 track tape machine. This is THE REAL THING that was recorded at STUDIO "A" at WESTLAKE RECORDING studio where Michael recorded the THRILLER album between april and november of 1982. I would venture to say that this is probably the only existing ORIGINAL 2 inch 24 track tape of these THRILLER album cuts that was recorded at WESTLAKE studios for the thriller album that is not owned by the Jackson family, record company or Michael Jackson`s estate. This is an ORIGINAL piece of ROCK POP history from the largest selling album of all time "THRILLER"
    ALBUM CREDITS
    Recorded and mixed by Bruce Swedien
    Technical engineer: Matt Forger
    Assistant engineer: Steve Bates and Mark Ettel
    Additional sound sources recorded by Humberto Gatica and Matt Forger
    Eddie Van Halen's guitar solo on "Beat It" recorded by Donn Landee... You can find more info on line about WESTLAKE studios and the THRILLER album cuts. Just google them. I reserve the right to cancel any bid for any reason or cancel this listing since this tape is offered up for offers locally in Los Angeles. To contact me about this item...EMAIL ME WITH YOUR PHONE NUMBER and I will CALL you back... Thanks for looking.
    yeah.......i'm still here.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hmmmm, I thought it was understood that Ed only did two different versions of that solo?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Hmmmm, I thought it was understood that Ed only did two different versions of that solo?
    I wonder if the other "solos" are in fact Steve Lukather tracks, mere sketches (like a rough, guide vocal if you will) for later overdubbing? I recall an interview in which EVH asked Quincy Jones if he could wail over a verse, as opposed to the "bump bump, ba bump bump" chugging section. This turned out to be an inspired decision, as it changed the dramatic thrust of the tune significantly.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I wonder if the other "solos" are in fact Steve Lukather tracks, mere sketches (like a rough, guide vocal if you will) for later overdubbing? I recall an interview in which EVH asked Quincy Jones if he could wail over a verse, as opposed to the "bump bump, ba bump bump" chugging section. This turned out to be an inspired decision, as it changed the dramatic thrust of the tune significantly.
    Yeah, I see what you are saying, and could very well see that being the case. Still, one has to wonder whether this tape is the real deal, and if it is, how it got into the hands it is in now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Awww, now Eddie wouldnt tell a lie now would he?

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Yeah I thought he did two and they went with #1.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

I guess one could buy the tape to listen to it. But to release a new version they'd have to get a whole lot of "okays" from ppl owning the rights to these songs.
    Little Dreamer

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHwasCoolestWithDLR View Post
    Awww, now Eddie wouldnt tell a lie now would he?
    I think Quincy Jones has confirmed this more than once.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

One thing I've noticed in all the hoopla since Jacko's death is that hardly anyone mentions the various people who made him such a success. Quincy Jones being one that comes to mind. Much of the success of "Thriller", in my opinion, could be attributed to Quincy Jones. His brilliance as an arranger, writer, producer, etc....Much the same way Tom Dowd is often mentioned when people talk of Aretha Franklin, The Allman Brothers Band, Eric Clapton, and many, many others.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    One thing I've noticed in all the hoopla since Jacko's death is that hardly anyone mentions the various people who made him such a success. Quincy Jones being one that comes to mind. Much of the success of "Thriller", in my opinion, could be attributed to Quincy Jones. His brilliance as an arranger, writer, producer, etc....Much the same way Tom Dowd is often mentioned when people talk of Aretha Franklin, The Allman Brothers Band, Eric Clapton, and many, many others.
    That whole album's success could be attributed to a great many things; Quincy's production, Eddie's appearance on Beat It got a lot in the rock crowd to buy it, Some people bought it for Paul's appearance on The Girl is Mine....hell, I know a few folks that bought the album for the title track for the appearance by Vincent Price . There's enough on there to give a broad appeal to a wide audience, and it showed in the sales of the album.
    Last edited by VanHalenRules; 06.29.09 at 06:40 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    That's true about Quincy...although there was one song that he didn't care for and wanted removed from the album. Michael resisted and it became a point of contention between them. In the end, Michael won out and the song stayed.

The song was Billie Jean.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quincy Jones was definitely the man behind the curtain. Without his brilliance, I don't think Jackson would have had quite the career he had.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Quincy Jones was definitely the man behind the curtain. Without his brilliance, I don't think Jackson would have had quite the career he had.
    I still love the story of Eddie and Quincy's phone conversation when Quincy was trying to get Ed on the project. Quincy is a pretty dry conversationalist at times, but I heard him tell it once, and he said it was one of the funniest moments he remembers trying to procur talent. He even signed signed the thank you letter to Ed "The Fucking Asshole". I'm sure Chef's got the story on file somewhere. I've gotta get back to work here, but it's a great story. Look it up on line if you have not read it.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

During the making of Thriller, Michael and Quincy Jones thought it would be good to have a guitar solo on "Beat It." The rhythm guitars were recorded by Steve Lukather of Toto, who at the time was L.A.'s top studio guitarist. But they set their sights on someone else.

Quincy Jones decided to call Eddie Van Halen to see if he would be interested in playing on a Michael Jackson record.

So the following exchange took place via telephone.

I am not making this up.

[Phone rings]

Eddie: Hello?

Quincy: Eddie? It's Quincy Jones.

Eddie: [convinced its a prank] Oh, f@#$ you! [hangs up]

Several minutes pass.

[Phone rings again]

Eddie: Hello?

Quincy: I'm not kidding, Ed.

Once Eddie realized it really was Quincy Jones, he agreed to do the solo. He also apologized his @ss off, but Quincy was very understanding and even amused.

Eddie went to the studio with his guitar. He had asked them to rent an older Marshall head and cabinet, and he rather quickly laid down the solo that you hear on "Beat It."

But here's the hilarious part.

Do you know how much Eddie got paid?

$0.00

Do you know how much he made in royalties?

$0.00

He just did it for fun.

Thriller was, for a very long time, the best-selling album in history. It's still #2, and I bet you after today it gets back the top spot pretty quickly.

All Eddie asked, and got, was a credit.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

More From Quincy:

"We did the final mixes and fixes and overdubs up until nine o’clock in the morning of the deadline for the reference copy. We had three studios going at once. We put final touches on Michael’s vocals on “Billie Jean,” which he sang through six-foot cardboard tubes. Then Bruce put his magic on the final overdub of Ndugu Chancler’s live drums, replacing the drum machine. I took Eddie Van Halen to another small studio with two huge Gibson speakers and two six-packs of beer to do his classic guitar solo, dubbing the bass line on “Beat It” with Greg on mini Moog. Bruce liked to record our rhythm tracks on sixteen-track tape, then go to digital to get that fat, analog rhythm sound that we all loved and called “big legs and tight skirts.” He left witht he tape to go to Bernie Grundman’s studio to master the record: Bernie’s the absolute best in the business. In the meantime I took Michael to my place, laid him out on the couch in my den, and covered him with a blanket for a three-hour nap at 9 a.m. By twelve o’clock we had to be back to hear the test pressing that was going out to the world. I couldn’d sleep myself; the anticipation was tremendous. We’d all worked ourselves into a near-frenzy. Meanwhile, back at the studio, Larkin Arnold, the head honcho of black music at Epic, was popping champagne, anxiously waiting to hear the final mix."