Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Default What would it take.....?

I've been inside the guts of my 5150 combo, and what I've found is all PC board mounted components, and tube sockets. I'm not saying that makes the amp bad, but it does make me wonder:

What would it take, or is it even possible for someone to take the schematics of the 5150, and make the amp "the old fashioned way", where it's all hand wired point-to-point with top-end components? Heyboer Tranformers, ceramic, chassis mounted tube sockets, the works.

I mean, the amp should have the same general tone and gain if you keep all the voltage and current values the same at key points in the tone chain.

It would be an interesting experiment.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Check ceriatone amps...this guy does exactly what you are asking...

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Dang Lefty, I've been drooling all over that site and the Ceriatone reviews posted on Harmony Central for over a month now. Hmmm... if I had a Ceriatone Plexi50 1986 Bass head shipped to my work address, could I sneak it into my house without the wife noticing?

With regard to the original post, is Nik offering a 5150 clone on his site?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I've been inside the guts of my 5150 combo, and what I've found is all PC board mounted components, and tube sockets. I'm not saying that makes the amp bad, but it does make me wonder:

What would it take, or is it even possible for someone to take the schematics of the 5150, and make the amp "the old fashioned way", where it's all hand wired point-to-point with top-end components? Heyboer Tranformers, ceramic, chassis mounted tube sockets, the works.

I mean, the amp should have the same general tone and gain if you keep all the voltage and current values the same at key points in the tone chain.

I've also had that idea. I'm almost done building a custom amp that is similar to an SLO-100, so it can be done. Here is the problem; it would cost you MUCH more to build a 5150 the old fashion way, or even as an exact clone then it would to just get a used 5150. The SLO on the other hand... you can save tons of $$$ by building a clone.

Also, if you built a 5150 using 'better' components than the original, the only real thing you could do would be different transformers, ceramic tube sockets, and sealed mil spec pots, with only the transformers really effecting the sound at all. The 'tone' capacitors throughout the 5150's preamp are mostly high quality Poly caps (they supposedly sound more hi-def and clear), and the only other option would be to use all orange drop caps (which are supposed to sound a little warmer and fuzzier).

I would even venture to say that a point to point 5150 build would be noisier than the factory 5150, since the components are layed out so neatly and strategically on the 5150 board.

However, if anyone wants to buy me all the parts, I'd be happy to make a test 5150 to compare to my block letter 5150 head

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post

No- it doesn't make it a bad amp, just makes it an amp with more stuff to break and be harder to repair, that's all.

It probably would sound a bit different than a PC board 5150, especially if you use different transformers and such. Not all that different, mind.

I did do a somewhat similar experiment with building a turret board Epi Valve Jr., and it improved the tone somewhat.

See what some of these amp builders could do. If you have the money and time, go for it!!! I would love to hear a comparison.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    No- it doesn't make it a bad amp, just makes it an amp with more stuff to break and be harder to repair, that's all.

It probably would sound a bit different than a PC board 5150, especially if you use different transformers and such. Not all that different, mind.

I did do a somewhat similar experiment with building a turret board Epi Valve Jr., and it improved the tone somewhat.

See what some of these amp builders could do. If you have the money and time, go for it!!! I would love to hear a comparison.
    Not to hijack this thread, but Im curious how hard doing that Epi was. I have a Valve Jr and Im dying to get into modding it, but have no knowledge of electronics. Ive soldered wire maybe 2x in my life and thats about it.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

You know, ten years ago I would have said, "Sure, if somebody can send me a schematic with all the component values on it, I'll build it". My problem is that I've forgotten most of what I used to know about electronics in the past 10 years working out of the field, and I just don't have the time with 3 kids.

I was just kind of wondering out-loud whether or not it had been done, or if somebody was working on it. If the results were good, I would consider buying a "Classically Manufactured" 5150 Combo.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.