Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Unchained Mister T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.17.08
    Posts
    539
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

    Default Need Audio Tech Advice

    I'm not very educated when it comes to audio-tech things and want to know if you guys could help me understand what's going on...

    I have a Mac. (Whether or not it's a Mac or not is incidental)

    I currently have two speakers hooked into my headphones jack on my mac.

    I have a 1/8th (3.5mm) adapter plugged into my headphone jack which converts into a dual ¼” inch Y-splitter. As seen here: http://www.pimfg.com/products_large/SDMT-FR1919.GIF

    From the ¼ inch splitter I have two ¼ inch cables that terminate into ¼ inputs on the speakers. That’s it.

    Just recently I bought two new speakers to replace the old ones. However – instead of the speakers having ¼ inch inputs – they have XLR inputs. So I purchased XLR to ¼ inch.

    When I connect everything – (the 3.5mm adapter connected to the ¼ inch to XLR cables) – the sound which comes out of the speakers is as if it is ½ of a stereo signal. I hear the reverb of the lead vocal but no the vocal itself, etc...

    But I don’t get this sound anomaly when I use the old speakers which use the ¼ inch end-to-end cables that appear to be simple mono cables.

    So this is making me wonder:

    Is the signal that comes out of the headphones jack on a computer mono?
    Is it because the ¼ inch end-to-end cables are mono the reason it sounds normal as compare to the XLR stereo cables??

    I don’t get it.

  2. #2
    Baluchitherium Mikey Metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.25.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,033
    Last Online

    06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    interesting way to get sound... headphone jack is most surely stereo.

    does a mac not have a line-out instead of headphone jack? not that would cause a stereo problem.

    I would check everything is plugged in good, should not matter that yuo introduced a 1/4 to xlr converter on each side.

    added thought... did you get a xlr converter for your current 1/4 cable, or entire new cables.
    These new cable may be stereo, does te 1/4 end have one seperator (ground and hot) or two (ground left and right).
    Last edited by Mikey Metalhead; 06.25.09 at 03:52 PM.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

  3. #3
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Is that splitter a 3.5mm stereo to 2 1/4" stereo or 3.5mm to a L/R 1/4" mono?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Is that splitter a 3.5mm stereo to 2 1/4" stereo or 3.5mm to a L/R 1/4" mono?
    can you say that in a manner that doesn't make me think I need a slide rule to decipher?

    heeheeheehee
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  5. #5
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    can you say that in a manner that doesn't make me think I need a slide rule to decipher?

    heeheeheehee
    Okay, how about this. You have a 3.5mm stereo input, are the two outputs stereo as well, or is one a left channel and one a right channel? Makes a big difference.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Okay, how about this. You have a 3.5mm stereo input, are the two outputs stereo as well, or is one a left channel and one a right channel? Makes a big difference.
    heeheehee...I knew what you meant, I just thought I'd rib ya a bit...it looked funny typed out like that with all the numbers and dashes.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  7. #7
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    heeheehee...I knew what you meant, I just thought I'd rib ya a bit...it looked funny typed out like that with all the numbers and dashes.
    You should hear me talk when my cousin and I are working in his makeshift studio, I even make him look at me like, WTF?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  8. #8
    Hang 'Em High sickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    6,169
    Favorite VH Album

    Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

    Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Likes
    548
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Okay, how about this. You have a 3.5mm stereo input, are the two outputs stereo as well, or is one a left channel and one a right channel? Makes a big difference.
    Huh Huh, he said INPUT!
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

  9. #9
    Unchained Mister T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.17.08
    Posts
    539
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post

    added thought... did you get a xlr converter for your current 1/4 cable, or entire new cables.
    These new cable may be stereo, does te 1/4 end have one seperator (ground and hot) or two (ground left and right).
    No - the new cables are XLR on one end and 1/4" on the other so they can plug straight into the splitter.

  10. #10
    Unchained Mister T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.17.08
    Posts
    539
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Is that splitter a 3.5mm stereo to 2 1/4" stereo or 3.5mm to a L/R 1/4" mono?
    The splitter is stereo - if you click on the link I posted at the top you can can see the sleeve-ring-tip pattern on the end of it. Mono only has 1 stripe whereas stereo has two stripes --- correct?

  11. #11
    Unchained Mister T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.17.08
    Posts
    539
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Okay, how about this. You have a 3.5mm stereo input, are the two outputs stereo as well, or is one a left channel and one a right channel? Makes a big difference.
    The splitter doesn't say - but considering what you just said, I would have to assume it breaks out the signal into 1 left channel and 1 right channel.

    Interestingly enough - if I disconnect 1 XLR cable from its speaker but leave the 1/4" end still in the splitter - FULL signal comes out the 1 working speaker.

  12. #12
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister T. View Post
    The splitter doesn't say - but considering what you just said, I would have to assume it breaks out the signal into 1 left channel and 1 right channel.

    Interestingly enough - if I disconnect 1 XLR cable from its speaker but leave the 1/4" end still in the splitter - FULL signal comes out the 1 working speaker.
    Well, just judging from your last sentence, I would think that the splitter is putting a stereo signal to both sides since you are getting full signal when one speaker's XLR connector is disconnected. Any chance that there is a switch on the speaker itself to choose which channel it is picking up?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  13. #13
    Unchained Mister T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.17.08
    Posts
    539
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Well, just judging from your last sentence, I would think that the splitter is putting a stereo signal to both sides since you are getting full signal when one speaker's XLR connector is disconnected. Any chance that there is a switch on the speaker itself to choose which channel it is picking up?
    No - there's no switches on the speakers.

    When you say putting a stereo signal to both sides - are you meaning that 1/2 of the stereo signal is being put on both lines?

  14. #14
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister T. View Post
    No - there's no switches on the speakers.

    When you say putting a stereo signal to both sides - are you meaning that 1/2 of the stereo signal is being put on both lines?
    Yeah, since you are getting full signal to the one speaker when you disconnect the other, the splitter is taking the one stereo input and just splitting it into two stereo outputs.

    As for your problem, I'm sitting here scratching my head as to why this is happening to begin with.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  15. #15
    Unchained Mister T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.17.08
    Posts
    539
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Yeah, since you are getting full signal to the one speaker when you disconnect the other, the splitter is taking the one stereo input and just splitting it into two stereo outputs.

    As for your problem, I'm sitting here scratching my head as to why this is happening to begin with.
    I'm wondering if I should buy a mono splitter instead of a stereo splitter.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Guitar Tech Questions
    By Royal Crown in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03.31.08, 08:46 AM
  2. Who is Ed's new tech??
    By farmboyEd in forum 2007 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11.29.07, 02:49 PM
  3. Who is Mike's Bass Tech ?
    By pack-rat in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04.06.05, 08:10 PM
  4. Tech Gear Help.
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02.23.05, 04:43 PM
  5. Updated PC Tech Job Posting
    By Mike5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05.18.01, 07:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •