MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

Default The deal of the century

I walked into a local music store yesterday with the intent on buying some strings. I turned to my immediate right and I saw it. Right there in the used guitar section is a late 90's USA EVH WOLFGANG SPECIAL FOR ONLY $800. I inspected it, plugged it in, and promptly put down $200 on it for lay away. It's a trans blue quilt and its quite lovely. No marks on it, mint condition or at least 98%. The thing is I looked at the tags of several surrounding guitars, and it looks like the owner was selling quite a few things. I guess he needed the money. Oh well I guess, I needed a wolfgang. I'll post pics when I finish paying it off.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Cactus View Post
    I walked into a local music store yesterday with the intent on buying some strings. I turned to my immediate right and I saw it. Right there in the used guitar section is a late 90's USA EVH WOLFGANG SPECIAL FOR ONLY $800. I inspected it, plugged it in, and promptly put down $200 on it for lay away. It's a trans blue quilt and its quite lovely. No marks on it, mint condition or at least 98%. The thing is I looked at the tags of several surrounding guitars, and it looks like the owner was selling quite a few things. I guess he needed the money. Oh well I guess, I needed a wolfgang. I'll post pics when I finish paying it off.
    congrats man, sounds like you picked up a bargain, a friend of mine just got a tobacco burst U.S.A standard for £800 in A1 condition (the set-up was awful but easily sorted) seems like the prices for the peaveys are taking a bit of a nose dive.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This is one of those stories that I hear and I ask myself, Why don't these things ever happen to me?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Cactus View Post
    Right there in the used guitar section is a late 90's USA EVH WOLFGANG SPECIAL FOR ONLY $800. I inspected it, plugged it in, and promptly put down $200 on it for lay away. It's a trans blue quilt and its quite lovely.
    Just lookin' out for you here but...

I don't believe any USA Wolfgang Specials were ever made with a trans blue quilt, let alone a quilt at all. The first run of Wolfgang standards had quilt tops, but only came in Tobacco Burst, Amber, Red, & Purple.

The only trans blue quilt top special Wolfgang I know of would be the Korean wolf special. If that's the case, $800 is more than those sold for new I believe.

A sure fire way for you to tell if it's American made or Korean made is to look at the headstock. The word "Special" underneath "Wolfgang". If it's American made, Special will start after the last g in Wolfgang. If it's Korean, Special starts before the last g. There are a bunch of other differences (neck finish, Floyd quality), but that one's a quick and easy visual.

If I happen to be wrong, my bad! Just trying to make sure you get what you're paying for...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

do prices of these things vary much regionally?

I've seen Wolfgang Specials for as low as 599 and I see them for 800-900 for the quilts somewhat regularly.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I would suggest that you do a little homework on that guitar, and maybe compare against Ebay prices ............
    I dont want to burst your baloon, but that sounds like the veneer quilts that sell in the $500 range. PM Andrew .... he is the resident PV Wolf pro.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    do prices of these things vary much regionally?

I've seen Wolfgang Specials for as low as 599 and I see them for 800-900 for the quilts somewhat regularly.
    I think it's less that prices vary regionally and more that sellers try to sell off the Korean wolfs as just "Quilt Top Specials", and unsuspecting buyers will either pay a higher price or jack the price up in an auction. It's sad when I see the lower end wolf's with the veneer quilts go for more than the American made specials with no quilt at all on eBay.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IslandBoy View Post
    PM Andrew .... he is the resident PV Wolf pro.
    Or just wait until he senses a disturbance in the force. 5...4...3...2...
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That guitar is not worth the $800. Like the above post says, check ebay. Bad thing about ebay right now is guys are rolling Wolf's with twisted/warped necks. Ensure that you do your homework on the guitar, especially the tung oil necks. Ask the questions that need to be asked. I have gotten 2 in the last 2 months with twisted necks. Very common for the wolfs. Its the birdseye, and tung oil.

That is one of the reasons EVH went with the hard rock maple on the new one. It is a stronger piece of wood. It was dissapointing at first not to see all the nice birdseye, but I totally understand why they did it.

Personally, I would NOT buy one of the Korean models. Alot is different. The neck, bridge, volume pot, throw switch, all different from the USA. Some say the pickups are the same. IDK.

Take your $800 and buy a USA special, of spend alittle more and get a USA standard. You will be more happy in the long run.

Dont forget, EVH did not like the Korean models and never endorsed the idea. I have heard that was part of the falling out. Peavey wanted to make more money appealing to a more affordable model. I have played them, and they are NOT the same as the USA.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the prices that I've seen go up in the past 5-6 years have been for the USA standards...I've seen them on hooks in guitar shops going for 1800-2500 for flame tops and 1500 hundred for the solid black. Back in the late 90's and early 2000s they were going for about 1200 for the solid black and 1500 for the flames...
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Just lookin' out for you here but...

I don't believe any USA Wolfgang Specials were ever made with a trans blue quilt, let alone a quilt at all. The first run of Wolfgang standards had quilt tops, but only came in Tobacco Burst, Amber, Red, & Purple.

The only trans blue quilt top special Wolfgang I know of would be the Korean wolf special. If that's the case, $800 is more than those sold for new I believe.

A sure fire way for you to tell if it's American made or Korean made is to look at the headstock. The word "Special" underneath "Wolfgang". If it's American made, Special will start after the last g in Wolfgang. If it's Korean, Special starts before the last g. There are a bunch of other differences (neck finish, Floyd quality), but that one's a quick and easy visual.

If I happen to be wrong, my bad! Just trying to make sure you get what you're paying for...
    That's the FIRST thing I thought when I read Cactus' post as well. I would be careful. But y'never know. Deals are everywhere. You just gotta know where to look.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If he is right on the year - he is all good. Korean Wolf's not offered until 2003

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could be a retop?

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

If it is a trans blue quilt top special, it is korean. There were USA flame top specials, but I'm quite sure they were never offered in blue. The ONLY way it would be a USA Wolf, is if it were a Custom Shop.

I would tell you to check the back of the headstock to see if the signature was silk-screened or burned in (USA models are burned into the wood), but if the guy made this out of parts he got on ebay, he could have a USA neck on a Korean body. Same for the Floyd. Koreans have a Floyd Rose 2, the USA has a hardened steel base plate with laser etched into it.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah you may wanna do some research on this. first thing i would do is contact peavey and have them look up the serial number. there were no blue quilt top specials unless its custom shop. the only specials that had tops were flamed like mentioned above. if it is the korean model. i would take it back.