Register

Thread: Kodachrome, RIP

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Kodachrome, RIP

Kodak retiring Kodachrome film

ROCHESTER, N.Y. Eastman Kodak Co. is retiring its most senior film, the iconic Kodachrome, because of declining demand in this digital age.

Kodachrome was introduced in 1935 and became the world's first commercially successful color film.

It had its heyday in the 1950s and '60s and Paul Simon immortalized it in song when he crooned "Mama don't take my Kodachrome away" in 1973.

But sales of the unique film are now just a fraction of 1 percent of Kodak's still-picture film sales, and only Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kan., still processes it.

Kodak says the decision to discontinue Kodachrome was difficult but necessary. The company says it plans to stay in the film business as long as it can and has introduced several new films in the last few years.

As a tribute to the film, Kodak has compiled on its Web site a gallery of iconic images, including one of a snowman beneath a solar eclipse, shot in the dead of winter in North Dakota.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Kodak retiring Kodachrome film

ROCHESTER, N.Y. Eastman Kodak Co. is retiring its most senior film, the iconic Kodachrome, because of declining demand in this digital age.

Kodachrome was introduced in 1935 and became the world's first commercially successful color film.

It had its heyday in the 1950s and '60s and Paul Simon immortalized it in song when he crooned "Mama don't take my Kodachrome away" in 1973.

But sales of the unique film are now just a fraction of 1 percent of Kodak's still-picture film sales, and only Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kan., still processes it.

Kodak says the decision to discontinue Kodachrome was difficult but necessary. The company says it plans to stay in the film business as long as it can and has introduced several new films in the last few years.

As a tribute to the film, Kodak has compiled on its Web site a gallery of iconic images, including one of a snowman beneath a solar eclipse, shot in the dead of winter in North Dakota.
    yep...there's something very somber about this. something about it makes me want to say "damn shame."
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

This is now a funeral dirge

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When I saw the thread I thought, "oh shit, Paul Simon died!" and then I thought "How am I going to break this to The Wife." Then I thought, "maybe they're talking about the actual film...because it would be very strange for someone to refer to Paul Simon as Kodachrome...I mean I know the song was popular but hardly enough to refer to him as such..." Then I just opened the thread and realized it was about the film...
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.