VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default pickup suggestions for a Gibson MIII

i know theres a million 'pickup' suggestion threads but to save me searching one up i thought i'd start a new one being as the guitar in question is a little different.
    i have a 1993 Gibson MIII, which is stock with the exeption of stainless frets. just recently i have been getting a bit pissed with the overal tone, it seems kinda flat and a little lifeless, so i'm thinking of swapping out the pickups for something different, i was considering the SD Pealy Gates but i already have these on several of my other guitars and wanted something different.
    at the moment the guitar is fitted with...
    gibson 496r at the neck
    gibson nsx single coil in the middle
    and a gibson 500t at the bridge

im thinking of doing away with the middle single coil as i never use it and i keep hitting it with the pick and also considering a tele 3-way style switch instead of the 5-way fitted to it currently, not too sure if i'm gonna have coil taps either, i may keep the tone control, regardless i will also be fitting uprated pots/caps/switches. the guitar itself is made of Poplar with a maple neck and ebony fingerboard.

thanks in advance guys and heres a pic of the guitar in question...(and me playing it)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i know theres a million 'pickup' suggestion threads but to save me searching one up i thought i'd start a new one being as the guitar in question is a little different.
    i have a 1993 Gibson MIII, which is stock with the exeption of stainless frets. just recently i have been getting a bit pissed with the overal tone, it seems kinda flat and a little lifeless, so i'm thinking of swapping out the pickups for something different, i was considering the SD Pealy Gates but i already have these on several of my other guitars and wanted something different.
    at the moment the guitar is fitted with...
    gibson 496r at the neck
    gibson nsx single coil in the middle
    and a gibson 500t at the bridge

im thinking of doing away with the middle single coil as i never use it and i keep hitting it with the pick and also considering a tele 3-way style switch instead of the 5-way fitted to it currently, not too sure if i'm gonna have coil taps either, i may keep the tone control, regardless i will also be fitting uprated pots/caps/switches. the guitar itself is made of Poplar with a maple neck and ebony fingerboard.

thanks in advance guys and heres a pic of the guitar in question...(and me playing it)
    Their a cool guitar. Hmmmmm. What sound you going for? High gain? EVH ish? Classic crunch?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

You know, last year I would have told you that you can't go wrong with a JB in the bridge, but I've recently come to the conclusion that a DiMarzio Super Distortion is a great sounding pickup. Especially if you are going for a late '70s or early '80s rock tone.

Other than that, I think a Tone Zone or a Steve's Special in the bridge position, and an Air Norton in the neck. I would go with a Fast Track 1 in the middle position.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    You know, last year I would have told you that you can't go wrong with a JB in the bridge, but I've recently come to the conclusion that a DiMarzio Super Distortion is a great sounding pickup. Especially if you are going for a late '70s or early '80s rock tone.

Other than that, I think a Tone Zone or a Steve's Special in the bridge position, and an Air Norton in the neck. I would go with a Fast Track 1 in the middle position.
    I can just see a Super Distortion in this baby. I was thinking that or maybe a Fred. Their both higher gain, but a little more dynamic. The only downside can be a bit noisy.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    That Tone Zone/Air Norton combo is hard to beat. No surpirisingly it's the closest stock pickup combo to the EBMM EVH signature model pickups.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i was thinking tone zone/norton but wanted a few other idea's aswell.
    i play quite a diverse range of music on it from pop to punk rock and metal.
    i quite like hot pickups but want good definition, harmonics and string seperation...also the ability to clean up well when i roll the volume back is important, i was thinking also about dropping a set of wolfgang pickups in there, but again im leaving my options open.

it's a cool guitar (although it was a dog when i got it new, took a hell of a lot of set-up work and a re-fret within 12months of buying it!) not many people know what it is, which is why i call it my 'wtf' guitar, most people don't believe it's a gibson! (esspecially when they see me playing it because im known for HATING gibsons)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tone Zone- everytime I drop that puppy into anything, it sounds GREAT!!!
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!