Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.12.11 @ 01:51 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Learning to play Slide Guitar

So i bought a slide and i've been messing around with it for some time but its still pretty hard to get the hang off it (well duh :P)
    Any tips or easy songs to learn playing slide with?
    Thanks =]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benjami View Post
    So i bought a slide and i've been messing around with it for some time but its still pretty hard to get the hang off it (well duh :P)
    Any tips or easy songs to learn playing slide with?

Thanks =]
    I've got the perfect tune for you to learn. Zep's In My Time of Dying. It's easy to play in standard tuning, and is played for the most part on the G and D strings together. Just jam along to the tune, and you'll find your way. One tip for you though is to set your amp with more crunch as opposed to higher gain levels. It' just works better for slide starting out. I also just add a little reverb with slide or a bit of slap back echo, and if you really want to nail this tune....throw a little Phase on it. Have fun!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

you really want to raise your action and maybe slap on a set of 11's, that way you won't hit the frets while sliding, also try a touch of tremelo, it sounds great, kinda like ry cooder
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    you really want to raise your action and maybe slap on a set of 11's, that way you won't hit the frets while sliding, also try a touch of tremelo, it sounds great, kinda like ry cooder
    Very good points! I bought a Danelectro DC-59 (like the one Page played) for slide guitar. On that one I use 10's with a medium action, and still get decent fret clearance. It almost seems like the strings have a bit less slack, maybe due to the fact that their an even 24" scale. It sounds cool though, and I don't mind a little fret interferance for that authentic Chicago blues kinda tone.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Very good points! I bought a Danelectro DC-59 (like the one Page played) for slide guitar. On that one I use 10's with a medium action, and still get decent fret clearance. It almost seems like the strings have a bit less slack, maybe due to the fact that their an even 24" scale. It sounds cool though, and I don't mind a little fret interferance for that authentic Chicago blues kinda tone.
    it's funny that this thread turned up, i've been looking at buying a lap steel, or maybe having a go at building one.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay i will give that song a try and il see what sound i could get out of that pedal i have :P
    And my action is already a bit higher because i've been messing around with the set-up lately and im not done with it yet but i guess i'l use the opportunity for now haha.
    thanks guys!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so im getting the hang of it i think =]
    here's me playing along with stormy may day by ac/dc:

having some trouble with rythm at the start but gets better later on, enjoy :P

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Benjami View Post
    so im getting the hang of it i think =]
    here's me playing along with stormy may day by ac/dc:

having some trouble with rythm at the start but gets better later on, enjoy :P
    seems to me like you're pickin it up just fine there kid, one suggestion if i may, try playing with the slide on your pinky, that way you can still play barre chords and other open chords more easily....just a suggestion, not an instruction....keep up the fine work.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

it's funny that this thread turned up, i've been looking at buying a lap steel, or maybe having a go at building one.
    Me too! Hehe. Years ago I drew up plans to build a steel similiar to what Gilmour used on Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder video for One of These Days. Sounds wicked. If I build it it would have an EMG in it similar to Eddies' Steinberger. Real ballsy with a growl. Can't beat dirty nasty slide!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

seems to me like you're pickin it up just fine there kid, one suggestion if i may, try playing with the slide on your pinky, that way you can still play barre chords and other open chords more easily....just a suggestion, not an instruction....keep up the fine work.
    Or try using it on you middle finger. That way you can still play barre chords with your index and ring fingers, as well as mute the strings behind the slide with your index finger to keep the unwanted noise down. Good luck.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Me too! Hehe. Years ago I drew up plans to build a steel similiar to what Gilmour used on Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder video for One of These Days. Sounds wicked. If I build it it would have an EMG in it similar to Eddies' Steinberger. Real ballsy with a growl. Can't beat dirty nasty slide!
    haaa, how strange, i am thinking of using a set of shadow active pickups in mine!...spaced along the body to try and get different tones and effects, although i'll probably end up just using one in the end!...lol

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Don't put the slide on your index finger. Your ring finger or your pinky are the best bets.
    You need to rest your fingers gently on the strings behind the slide (between the slide and the nut) so that the strings don't vibrate behind the slide. That extra vibration is what makes the weak-sounding "zinngg" sound.

A fun tip for gettting used to playing slide is to tune your guitar to an open chord. Many slide players keep a guitar permanently tuned to open E. It's really easy to do, and it makes everything you play sound good.
    Don't think too hard. Remember your music history. The classic slide style was invented by people who couldn't read music and had no access to formal musical training. They just got a guitar, tuned it until it sounded nice, and started jamming. You should do the same.

Don't read this.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Don't put the slide on your index finger. Your ring finger or your pinky are the best bets.
    You need to rest your fingers gently on the strings behind the slide (between the slide and the nut) so that the strings don't vibrate behind the slide. That extra vibration is what makes the weak-sounding "zinngg" sound.

A fun tip for gettting used to playing slide is to tune your guitar to an open chord. Many slide players keep a guitar permanently tuned to open E. It's really easy to do, and it makes everything you play sound good.
    Don't think too hard. Remember your music history. The classic slide style was invented by people who couldn't read music and had no access to formal musical training. They just got a guitar, tuned it until it sounded nice, and started jamming. You should do the same.
    +1, great advice.