Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Default Joe interview from Blabbermouth

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=122124

The I Heart Guitar blog recently conducted an interview with guitarist Joe Satriani of CHICKENFOOT. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

I Heart Guitar: The album debuted at No. 4. How cool is that!

Satriani: Yeah, I swear, I was thinking we were going to be 100-something. So when someone said, "You know, I think we might be in the top 20," I was like, "Yeah, right." Then, "No it's going to be in the top 10." Then as it came closer and closer I started getting emails from Gary Arnold at Best Buy saying, "You'd better be ready, this is coming out at No. 4." DAVE MATTHEWS, GREEN DAY, BLACK EYED PEAS. Classic rock up against those guys, it's a great moment for rock.

I Heart Guitar: So you just wrapped up a mini-tour?

Satriani: We did this little club tour. We called it a road-test tour and we played in places that held 400 people, little sweatboxes, and it was so much fun, to take a real rock band like this with a brand new record that no one had heard and just try to make them hear it and understand it. There's nothing like feedback from a few hundred people who can scratch your nose during the show if they want (laughs). I mean, you really do have to do your work, but the feedback you get is great, and the fans who came to see us can take pride in being part of the experience that told us how to do it. I'm glad we did it and we'll take that experience to Europe for this festival tour that's starting later this week.

I Heart Guitar: Did you learn anything new about the songs after playing them on the tour?

Satriani: What you learn about is which part should stay the same and which parts are flexible. And you learn that with every album. I've learned that every time I've taken an instrumental record on the road. For instance, you learn that "Flying In A Blue Dream" has got to be handled very carefully but "Ice 9" can be played a million different ways and it still works. You just never really know until you try. It was good for us to get this happening because let me tell you something: between February 2008 when we first played together and then a year later, we had still only spent 43 days making a record and about a week more playing together. We had never played all the songs top to bottom, let alone do a show. So we really were a band that against all odds recorded an album, and then all of a sudden we had to get experience like a normal band would. We condensed it into that little two-week club tour.

I Heart Guitar: How do you approach guitar for CHICKENFOOT compared to your own songs?

Satriani: The biggest difference is that in a band like this with the kind of music we're writing, I knew from the start that the rhythm guitar, the guitar that plays the riff, the intro guitar, the guitar that really plays with the rhythm section, has got to be the heart and soul of the band. It really does. It's not about the soloist. To me that's more like an '80s kind of a thing, where the guitarist is always on a self-promotion trip. And that was cool back then. Eddie Van Halen was the star of that: he had the true chops to pull that off. But I didn't want to just revisit that era. Having lived through it myself, I'm not interested in that. So I looked further back, and Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, they created these amazing records with their amazing rhythm guitar parts that really embodied the soul of the music. Then when the solo part came they would freak out and go crazy, but then they'd get back to what you really wanted which was the band rocking riffs. I made it my personal quest to make sure that happened. I wasn't thinking CHICKENFOOT was a vehicle for Joe Satriani to fuse his solo stuff with a singer. I wanted it to be something totally CHICKENFOOT, something totally original with the band. I think everybody felt the same way in their own right. They weren't out to try to reproduce what they were famous for. They wanted to use the band as impetus to do something new that they hadn't done before.

Read the entire interview from I Heart Guitar.

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naturallywired View Post
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=122124

The I Heart Guitar blog recently conducted an interview with guitarist Joe Satriani of CHICKENFOOT. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below....
    Thanks for posting this, naturallywired.

Not to steal your thunder, but the whole interview can be found at:

http://www.iheartguitarblog.com/2009...-satriani.html

Here is one of the more interesting segments of the interview that was not posted above. There are VH and EVH references by Satch, as well as his comments on the role of MA in both VH and CF:

I Heart Guitar: How do you approach guitar for Chickenfoot compared to your own songs?

Satriani: The biggest difference is that in a band like this with the kind of music were writing, I knew from the start that the rhythm guitar, the guitar that plays the riff, the intro guitar, the guitar that really plays with the rhythm section, has got to be the heart and soul of the band. It really does. Its not about the soloist. To me thats more like an 80s kind of a thing, where the guitarist is always on a self-promotion trip. And that was cool back then. Eddie Van Halen was the star of that: he had the true chops to pull that off. But I didnt want to just revisit that era. Having lived through it myself Im not interested in that. So I looked further back, and Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, they created these amazing records with their amazing rhythm guitar parts that really embodied the soul of the music. Then when the solo part came they would freak out and go crazy, but then theyd get back to what you really wanted which was the band rocking riffs. I made it my personal quest to make sure that happened. I wasnt thinking Chickenfoot was a vehicle for Joe Satriani to fuse his solo stuff with a singer. I wanted it to be something totally Chickenfoot, something totally original with the band. I think everybody felt the same way in their own right. They werent out to try to reproduce what they were famous for. They wanted to use the band as impetus to do something new that they hadnt done before.

I Heart Guitar: One thing I think is really cool about the band is hearing Mike Anthony right up there in the mix, and its so great to hear those backing vocals again too. Listening to Chickenfoot reminds me of how absolutely important he was to Van Halen.

Satriani: Yeah I know, hes the sound, really, the sound of that band. That vocal blend is amazing. His playing, I remember every time wed finish doing a song Id say How come I never heard that on a Van Halen song? Musically I can see it because Eddie was a more adventurous player and maybe they thought the bass should be simpler so Eddie could be crazier, but the way we structure our stuff, no-one ever said a word to Mike. We just figured hed play whatever he wants because everything he plays, we love it. Its great. And then of course, having Andy Johns engineering for us was great because he loves Mikes playing. He loves to hear that bass sounding big and fat. I think its so important.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really wish Joe would STFU with his bashing of Eddie and "the guitarist is on a whole self promotion trip."

I tease, I tease. I just wanted to be the first to say it about Joe. I'm glad the guys had such a good time on their mini tour and their album is having such great success. I hope their full tour does great business as well.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I really wish Joe would STFU with his bashing of Eddie and "the guitarist is on a whole self promotion trip."

I tease, I tease. I just wanted to be the first to say it about Joe. I'm glad the guys had such a good time on their mini tour and their album is having such great success. I hope their full tour does great business as well.
    That's an interesting quote from Satch because I think even EVH would admit it. EVH's playing certainly became more restrained in the SH era of VH than it was in the '80s during the DLR era. Then again, until Chickenfoot, Satch's whole career has sort of been a self-promotion trip since he was a solo artist that primarily played instrumentals.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Last Online

11.26.16 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I agree that Andy was the best choice for this album. Sounds like hes a bull dog in the studio.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Delighted Romeo View Post
    That's an interesting quote from Satch because I think even EVH would admit it. EVH's playing certainly became more restrained in the SH era of VH than it was in the '80s during the DLR era. Then again, until Chickenfoot, Satch's whole career has sort of been a self-promotion trip since he was a solo artist that primarily played instrumentals.
    I tend to disagree. I think Ed's writing and playing became more COMPLEX once Sammy joined the band, IMO

Compare I'm the One to Mine All Mine. I'm the One is STRICTLY blues. As is almost every song VH wrote with Dave. It is based off of some sort of bluesy pattern. Not ALL were. But 90% were.

Whereas with Sam: AFU, Mine All Mine, Pleasure Dome, etc.

Much more complex compositions. More guitar tracks. More over-dubbing.

Sure I don't think it was more BLITZKRIEG. Nothing gets more IN YOUR FACE than Romeo Delight, I'm the One, Everybody Wants Some, Top Jimmy, etc, but Ed grew as a guitar player and as a writer in Sam's era, IMO.
    -------------------------------------------------------

In regards to this interview...Nothing unexpected here from Joe. Good interview.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Man, I've really been digging listening to/reading about what Joe has to say. He really honed his playing and hit the nail on the head with this album. I basically stopped following Joe's music after Flaying In A Blue Dream, but his playing and attitude has won me over once again.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Sammy fired Andy Johns on FUCK (I'm assuming)? what the deal with that? is that why Ted Templeman is listed as a producer on FUCK too?

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    I tend to disagree. I think Ed's writing and playing became more COMPLEX once Sammy joined the band, IMO

Compare I'm the One to Mine All Mine. I'm the One is STRICTLY blues. As is almost every song VH wrote with Dave. It is based off of some sort of bluesy pattern. Not ALL were. But 90% were.

Whereas with Sam: AFU, Mine All Mine, Pleasure Dome, etc.

Much more complex compositions. More guitar tracks. More over-dubbing.

Sure I don't think it was more BLITZKRIEG. Nothing gets more IN YOUR FACE than Romeo Delight, I'm the One, Everybody Wants Some, Top Jimmy, etc, but Ed grew as a guitar player and as a writer in Sam's era, IMO.
    -------------------------------------------------------

In regards to this interview...Nothing unexpected here from Joe. Good interview.
    I agree regarding the song writing and musical compositions. I was talking strictly about EVH's kamikaze style of playing the guitar. EVH stopped trying to "show off," for lack of a better term, with his guitar playing during the SH era, whether by design or he was simply out of jaw-dropping things to show off, like happens to all the greats eventually. He became a more refined, controlled player, though the downside to this refinement and his increasing use of new recording tools was that his famous "Brown sound" tone changed, too.

Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Littler Monster View Post
    Sammy fired Andy Johns on FUCK (I'm assuming)? what the deal with that? is that why Ted Templeman is listed as a producer on FUCK too?
    Hagar didn't fire Johns. For some reason, Hagar didn't want Johns to produce his vocals - so Templeman produced Sammy's portion of the album. But I would like to know why Hagar was fine with working with Johns now.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hey man View Post
    Hagar didn't fire Johns. For some reason, Hagar didn't want Johns to produce his vocals - so Templeman produced Sammy's portion of the album. But I would like to know why Hagar was fine with working with Johns now.
    I don't think it was personal. Templeman was well known for his keen ability to work with vocalists. Hagar had previously worked with him when he was in Montrose and later on his solo album VOA. (Not to mention Templeman was originally slated to produce 5150 and even attended some pre-production rehearsals.) Sammy also got a lot of vocal coaching from Mick Jones on 5150 and Donn Landee on 5150 and OU812. He most likely felt like something was lacking in that department with Andy Johns and/or he simply wanted someone he would be very comfortable with (Landee once said Sammy would sometimes get self-conscious singing something new in the studio). Since 1991, though, Sammy has worked with more producers and done a lot of self-producing of solo albums. Add to that the fun and ease with which that band has stated the Chickenfoot project came together, and it would seem Sammy was probably already feeling at ease with regard to vocal production.

Of all the material he's sung on over the years, I think Donn Landee best found how to record Sam's voice; the first Montrose album and OU812, with regard to the quality of the actual engineered recording, is where Sammy sounded best. Erwin Musper was also able to capture the warmth and right balance of compression on Balance, I think.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

A couple of things....

This CD only took 43 days to record? whistles...that's pretty impressive to me...these guys have never worked together before (with the exception of Mike and Sam of course) and it took them 43 days...they must have really gelled (sp?).

Andy appears to me to have been the right guy for this CD. It is sonically perfect....everything is clear and can be heard - with nothing being 'overdone'....it's what a rock CD should be really.

Insert sarcastic comment about note to Ed re: Chickenfoot taking 43 days to record *here*
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Interesting comments from Satch regarding Ed and the rhythm guitar and its importance. While no one can discount Ed's soloing abilities, I tend to actually appreciate the brilliance of his rhythm playing more than his over the top in your face soloing. It's an aspect of Ed's playing that is often overlooked in my opinion. I didn't always think this way, but over the years I've tended to listen more for the rhythm in Ed's songwriting.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Interesting comments from Satch regarding Ed and the rhythm guitar and its importance. While no one can discount Ed's soloing abilities, I tend to actually appreciate the brilliance of his rhythm playing more than his over the top in your face soloing. It's an aspect of Ed's playing that is often overlooked in my opinion. I didn't always think this way, but over the years I've tended to listen more for the rhythm in Ed's songwriting.
    I've always been way more impressed with Ed's rhythm work and "riffing" than I have been with his solos...not that his solos are lackluster by any means, simply that his approach to rhythm playing is phenomenal.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

As a kid I was always blown away by Ed's soloing. But as I grew older and began listening to other forms of music as well as many other artists, I seemed to begin honing in on Ed's rhythm playing whenever I'd hear a new VH tune. I wish I knew more about guitar and music theory in order to understand where great guitarist come from when writing great tunes. Maybe in my next life.....