Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default Donte Stallworth| Celebrity Justice?

Hey all,

I'm just curious what your take is on this.

At like 7 am (NFL player, Wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns)Donte ran over a man that was running trying to catch a bus 4 work. This accident killed the man and Donte was found to be intoxicated at the time.

The way it turned out..Donte was given 30 days in jail, 2 years house arrest, 1000 hours community service, 8 years probation and his license revoked...though he could appeal to get his license to drive back in the future for special circumstances.

Do you think this judgment is fair? Did Donte get easy celebrity justice?
    Would you or I get worse? Although a tragic accident and not at all intentional I think he got off easy.

I'm a Die hard Philly EAGLES fan and have nothing negative to say about Donte. I feel bad for him in this but imo he got off REAL EASY. If a non celebrity ran over and killed a pedestrian while DUI...would they get this sentence?

What do you think? Just curious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.22.09 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family. So it sounds like he paid his way out of doing any hard jail time.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Guilty of DUI manslaughter and gets 30 days? House arrest is a joke too.I would think 4-6 years in the slammer at least.Something stinks.It wouldn't happen to me like that.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I love them all!!!!
    Last Online

02.09.16 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I loved watching Donte while he was at UT. Great player but a very easy sentence!! It's sad that if you have enough money and/or fame some crimes aren't as serious for some as they are for others.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:16 AM
    Liked 1,472 Times in 899 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin5150 View Post
    He also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family. So it sounds like he paid his way out of doing any hard jail time.
    Bingo!

I'm curious to know how much a human being was worth in this case.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Bingo!

I'm curious to know how much a human being was worth in this case.
    I would be willing to bet that it is not as much as you would think.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hell yes, he got off extremely easy! If it were anybody else, they would get life for that. Just one more thug from the National Felon League who gets off because of it.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Florida has a law that states that driving drunk is irrelevant if the drunk can't be proven to have caused the accident. For instance, if a driver is stopped at a red light and a car plows into him, the driver stopped at the light is not responsible for the accident even if it turns out he's stinking drunk.

In this case, the victim was jaywalking across a busy highway and Stallworth was only estimated to be traveling 50 in a 40 mph. So essentially, it was going to be up to the prosecutors to somehow prove that Stallworth could have somehow avoided the accident if sober, whereas the defense would have just had to plant a seed of doubt in one juror's mind regarding whether Stallworth could have avoided the accident, even if sober. It's not unreasonable to think Stallworth might have beat this entirely.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin5150 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    Florida has a law that states that driving drunk is irrelevant if the drunk can't be proven to have caused the accident. For instance, if a driver is stopped at a red light and a car plows into him, the driver stopped at the light is not responsible for the accident even if it turns out he's stinking drunk.

In this case, the victim was jaywalking across a busy highway and Stallworth was only estimated to be traveling 50 in a 40 mph. So essentially, it was going to be up to the prosecutors to somehow prove that Stallworth could have somehow avoided the accident if sober, whereas the defense would have just had to plant a seed of doubt in one juror's mind regarding whether Stallworth could have avoided the accident, even if sober. It's not unreasonable to think Stallworth might have beat this entirely.

and this is what it boils down to. A hazy case that would have been difficult to try and a guy who had the money to pay off a family willing to take the payout.

It's not as simple as "fuck him, he's a drunk felon who killed a guy." There's a lot of dimensions to this.

Let's put it on one of you guys. Say you're driving along after having a few drinks with friends. Not stinking drunk but you'd certainly blow a DUI. Some jackass tries to race across the street at the last second and you can't dodge him. it's late at night and you couldn't even see him until it was too late. Fucker ends up dying on you. The cops show up, you smell of cigarettes and beer but you are not drunk. This looks bad. Real bad. It's not your fault. Do you think you should have the book thrown at you or do you think a plea bargain is in order? And hey, if you've got the cash wouldn't you use it to try to get out of as much of this bullshit as possible?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    and this is what it boils down to. A hazy case that would have been difficult to try and a guy who had the money to pay off a family willing to take the payout.

It's not as simple as "fuck him, he's a drunk felon who killed a guy." There's a lot of dimensions to this.

Let's put it on one of you guys. Say you're driving along after having a few drinks with friends. Not stinking drunk but you'd certainly blow a DUI. Some jackass tries to race across the street at the last second and you can't dodge him. it's late at night and you couldn't even see him until it was too late. Fucker ends up dying on you. The cops show up, you smell of cigarettes and beer but you are not drunk. This looks bad. Real bad. It's not your fault. Do you think you should have the book thrown at you or do you think a plea bargain is in order? And hey, if you've got the cash wouldn't you use it to try to get out of as much of this bullshit as possible?
    Yep. In this case it's undisputed that the victim was jaywalking and i don't believe there were any witnesses to testify that Stallworth could have avoided the accident or was driving recklessly.

If the victim had been crossing at an intersection, with the right of way, and Stallworth had run a light and plowed into him, and there were witnesses or maybe a traffic camera that captured it, I don't think any amount of money would have spared him serious jail time.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

He still has to face Goodell, I could see him being pretty tough on him.