Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

An open letter to David Letterman, re: Sarah Palin

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7818862

Dear Mr. Letterman:

This whole Sarah Palin thing has really gotten out of hand. Did you read the absolutely reprehensible piece written in the Chicago Sun-Times that equated your joke-insults to the anti-Semitic hate-speech of Rev. Jeremiah Wright? The atmosphere has become not merely ludicrous, but in cases like this, poisonous.

So here's my advice, as you begin a week of new shows (and the nice thing about writing a letter of advice to a guy like you is that I'm pretty sure you'll do whatever the hell you want to do anyway, so I can speak freely):

Clam up.

Don't give Gov. Palin any more material to react to. From her Today Show interview alone, it was obvious that no matter how much Matt Lauer tried to raise serious questions about various overreactions to your jokes, she's glowingly happy to be in the national spotlight again and doesn't want to give it up any time soon.

Don't give the TV cable news analysis shows, whether they lean right, left, or "objective," any more fodder for what has been, for the most part, an ever-higher tower of Babel-babble without any useful insight.

Where the first few days of this controversy probably helped you in the ratings, I can't believe that you, a tough but fair competitor, want to win against the Tonight Show on the back of this kind of controversy.

Have a good week. Oh, and on Friday, be sure to ask Michael Cera about the possible Arrested Development movie, will ya?

Best,
    Ken Tucker
    http://watching-tv.ew.com/2009/06/da...A+Make+it+stop
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

NOW Sanctions Letterman Over Palin Jokes

After this week's flap between Sarah Palin and David Letterman, which started when Letterman cracked a joke about Palin's "slutty flight attendant look" and another about her daughter getting "knocked up" by New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez, the National Organization for Women has condemned Letterman's jokes and is asking its supporters to write to CBS and voice criticism.

"The sexualization of girls and women in the media is reaching new lows these days -- it is exploitative and has a negative effect on how all women and girls are perceived and how they view themselves," the group writes on its website, pointing to Letterman's jokes as an example.

But, for NOW, it's not about politics: the group says conservatives have been just as guilty, over the years, of sexism. "NOW hopes that all the conservatives who are fired up about sexism in the media lately will join us in calling out sexism when it is directed at women who aren't professed conservatives," NOW writes.

Despite Sarah Palin's ascendancy as a female vice presidential candidate, NOW did not support her. Far from it, in fact: NOW's political arm called Palin "a woman who opposes women's rights" and her nomination a sop to disappointed Hillary Clinton supporters.

http://www.now.org/issues/media/hall...palin-daughter
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Letterman has absolutely nothing to apologize for.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

what makes Palin any more special than GW, Clinton, Reagan, Bush The Father, or any other politician or public figure that jokes against her should be off limits?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

The candidates themselves are fair game. Their children on the other hand should be off limits. I don't care which party is involved. Maybe he could go after the Obama children next?
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by weesfreewheelin View Post
    The candidates themselves are fair game. Their children on the other hand should be off limits. I don't care which party is involved. Maybe he could go after the Obama children next?
    i'm sure if the obama children get knocked up he will...remember the Bush twins and how they went through their little party whore phase? They were made fun and Chelsea got her fair share for just being an ugly child....of course in her case, she's become quite the hottie.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well, times have changed I guess, but then again, you could get on a roll with Amy Carter jokes back in the day.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Normally that should be true, but Palin stuck her kids in front of the whole world for all to see and had the pregnant one out in front of the media advocating abstinence - after she had a kid outta of wed lock. She set her kids up as targets.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:08 PM
    Liked 794 Times in 430 Posts

Premium Member

It was a JOKE. And not even a very good one. That Palin would use this as a platform for an irrational and non-sequitur attempt to protect "young women" makes me almost wish I HAD voted for Obama.

Her snarky response was self-serving, disengenuous, cynical and embarrassing to anyone who favors rational thought.

TK

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm glad to see Sarah Palin in the national spotlight. I love to hear her express her views on almost any topic. I hope she wins the Republican presidential nomination in 2012. She's just what this country needs.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

Dave was out of line. It was Palin's 14 y.o. daughter at the game with her that was the brunt of Dave's joke, saying she got knocked up by Rodriguez in the 7th inning stretch.

Sick and tasteless Dave. Laaame
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Look, comedians make jokes, and that's fine. I happen to have much preferred Leno to Letterman or Conan. I really don't watch late night TV now that Leno is out of the game unless a band is on I want to see.

That being said, Letterman's mistake was NOT knowing WHICH daughter was at the baseball game. It is obvious he was referring to Bristol, but NOT knowing it was the 14 year-old daughter at the game, and NOT Bristol, is a terrible mistake. If he had come across the way Jamie Foxx did on Leno about his comments about Miley Cyrus, this all would've gone away. But with his not-so-apologetic apology, he just made this thing worse--at least in one way. In another, his ratings are going up, but I think that has more to do with viewers fleeing Conan.

I could never see Carson, Leno, or Conan doing a joke about a man raping a 14 year-old girl in a state where the age of consent is 17. However, if they had, I could see EACH one of them showing remorse when they found out they had made the same mistake Letterman did.

C'mon, guys...you REALLY think that if Obama's daughters were molested that it would be okay to make jokes about it on late night television? You're CRAZY if you think that. Letterman would be FIRED had he done that.

Jokes about rape or underage girls are one thing when it isn't aimed at any specific under age girl. Once it is directed at a specific under age girl, then you have a problem.

Believe me, I think America has become too apologetic. However, if I had made a joke on television about Bristol Palin getting knocked up at a Yankee game only to find out it was the 14 year-old daughter at the game, I would have been embarrassed as all hell, and apologized without anyone coaxing me too.

I hate the double standards. I mean, how many old jokes did you hear Letterman and Leno tell about McCain? I mean, age is a state of being that you have no control over, and in and of itself does not make a man any less capable of being President. If age jokes are okay, then why not Black jokes? I mean, having black skin is a state of being one has no control over, and does not make one any less capable of being President. I know Blacks have suffered from racism for hundreds of years, but it's not as if our society isn't age-ist either (Hell, California will spend more money to board a HORSE than it will an elderly person. I found this out researching nursing homes years ago). You know the only person who told Black jokes about Obama? DL Hughley. And you know what? They were fucking funny!

In reality, shouldn't the KIDS of these people be off limits anyway? I don't care if it was a joke--why is he doing it in the first place? Of COURSE we all make jokes behind closed doors that we wouldn't in public, but telling them in public--one should know what they are getting themselves into.

Lastly, Letterman committed the cardinal sin: the joke wasn't even funny.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 06.15.09 at 11:57 AM.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Davey is getting hammered in the ratings anyway so this is probably his last "jump the shark" moment. As far as Palin putting her kids "out there" I still don't agree with the knocked up joke. I also believe Davey would agree of the distaste and has stated so publicly. It's one thing if your doing stand up at the local comedy zone playing to a crowd of drunken adults, quite another if in the national prime time media. Once again, if he had said something about the Obama girls picking watermelons from the back of the White House garden, there would have been media hell to pay. It's off limits guys.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Davey is getting hammered in the ratings anyway so this is probably his last "jump the shark" moment. As far as Palin putting her kids "out there" I still don't agree with the knocked up joke. I also believe Davey would agree of the distaste and has stated so publicly. It's one thing if your doing stand up at the local comedy zone playing to a crowd of drunken adults, quite another if in the national prime time media. Once again, if he had said something about the Obama girls picking watermelons from the back of the White House garden, there would have been media hell to pay. It's off limits guys.
    that would have been off limits for entirely different reasons. Off limits because race related jokes are off limits period. Dave couldn't get away with a watermelon joke about Obama himself, or even a general joke about the administration.

You can bet your ass if one of his kids grows up a little and does something retarded, they will be treated just the same as any other celebrity or child of a celebrity. What's more, the kids are obviously NOT off limits because they are plastered on the pages of people magazine and we are all having them and his wife shoved down our throats for being cute, gorgeous, smart and fashionable.

Sorry but if they're within bounds for the good stuff, they're within bounds for being made fun of. You can't have it both ways.

That's why I always liked how the Clintons handled Chelsea. They did as good a job as anyone at keeping the limelight off her.

if you don't like it, don't watch it.
    Last edited by broken9500; 06.15.09 at 12:15 PM.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    that would have been off limits for entirely different reasons. Off limits because race related jokes are off limits period. Dave couldn't get away with a watermelon joke about Obama himself, or even a general joke about the administration.

You can bet your ass if one of his kids grows up a little and does something retarded, they will be treated just the same as any other celebrity or child of a celebrity. What's more, the kids are obviously NOT off limits because they are plastered on the pages of people magazine and we are all having them and his wife shoved down our throats for being cute, gorgeous, smart and fashionable.

Sorry but if they're within bounds for the good stuff, they're within bounds for being made fun of. You can't have it both ways.

That's why I always liked how the Clintons handled Chelsea. They did as good a job as anyone at keeping the limelight off her.

if you don't like it, don't watch it.
    See, read my post above. I think that not only should race jokes be on the table if other jokes are--see McCain's age jokes--children jokes should be OFF the table. While there is no law against it, it's just the right thing to do.

Like I asked above, if one of Obama's underage daughters was molested or raped, you think it would be okay to joke about it? What if one were knocked up legally of age, but the other was quite young? I mean, that is what we're saying here, right? Bristol Palin was knocked up at 17 by a guy whom at the time was also 17, but was 18 by the time the news hit. Because of that, it is okay to talk about Alex Rodriguez raping her sister?

And hell, Hughley's race jokes were classic! And to go in another direction, we won't be able to achieve equality in this country until we CAN all joke about things like sex and race. I mean, I grew up playing basketball, and half my team was Black. Not only did I love hearing their White jokes, they loved hearing Black jokes.

I still remember one of my teammates and friends, now "Big C" on G4's show Street Fury--about as Black as you can get--and I telling racial jokes back and forth. It was THAT much of a non issue.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 06.15.09 at 12:25 PM.