Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default So, how's your TV ?

Digital TV hot line gets 700,000 calls over switch

LOS ANGELES - Nearly 700,000 calls were received by a federal hot line this week from people confused about the nationwide switch from analog to digital TV broadcasts that occurred Friday.

The Federal Communications Commission said Saturday that about 317,450 calls went into the help line, 1-888-CALL-FCC, on Friday alone, the day analog signals were cut off.

About a third of the calls were about federal coupons to pay for digital converter boxes, an indication that at least 100,000 people still didn't have the right equipment to receive digital signals.

Another third of the calls were handled by live agents, and 30 percent of those were about how to operate the converter boxes. The FCC said most of the converter box questions were resolved when callers were told to re-scan the airwaves for digital frequencies.

Over 20 percent of the live calls were about reception issues.

"Our job is far from over," acting FCC Chairman Michael Copps said in a statement. "This transition is not a one-day affair. We have known about re-scanning and reception issues for some time and have been doing our best to get the word out."

The largest volume of calls came from the Chicago area, followed by Dallas-Ft. Worth, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore.

With 4,000 FCC staffers manning the phones Friday, the average wait time per call was 4.6 minutes.

The National Association of Broadcasters said that 278 stations it surveyed nationwide received 35,500 calls on Friday, and the vast majority were resolved by re-scanning.

Any set hooked up to cable or a satellite dish is unaffected by the end of analog broadcasts, but around 17 million U.S. households rely on antennas. Nielsen Co. said poor and minority households were less likely to be prepared for Friday's analog shutdown, as were households consisting of people younger than 35.

The Commerce Department reported a last-minute rush for the $40 converter box coupons: It received 319,990 requests Thursday, nearly four times the daily average for the past month. In all, the government has mailed coupons for almost 60 million converter boxes. The limit is two coupons per household.

It takes nine business days for a coupon to reach the mailbox.

Research firm SmithGeiger LLC said Thursday that about 2.2 million households were still unprepared as of last week. Sponsored by the broadcasters' association, it surveyed 948 households that relied on antennas and found that one in eight did not have a digital TV or digital converter box.

Nielsen Co., which measures TV ratings from a wide panel of households, put the number of unready homes at 2.8 million, or 2.5 percent of the total television market, as of Sunday. In February, the number was 5.8 million.

Both the Nielsen and SmithGeiger surveys counted households as unprepared even if they have taken some steps toward getting digital signals, like ordering a converter box coupon.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

07.28.15 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how's my tv

Bit Torrent all the way.. . LG tv itself is ok some smearing or clouding around the edges tho.
    " Eating over the behavioral sink."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

No problems what so ever, I have direct tv.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Digital was introduced here in 2001, and Analog shutdown was supposed to happen this year but due to slow uptake and consumer confusion the deadlines been extended.

Some regional areas begin to close down next year but the major cities won't be until 2013.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Dumbasses.
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Comcast Cable dropped the ball locally, despite months of promises regarding a "smooth transition". Lost the signal for several hours, yet I was at work most of the time and barely missed it.

I am somewhat pissed that the free Cinemax/HBO weekend promised for June 12-14 isn't being honored. Then again, seeing the listings for the films offered, not much of a loss, other than a chance to see The Dark Knight once again.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Comcast Cable dropped the ball locally, despite months of promises regarding a "smooth transition". Lost the signal for several hours, yet I was at work most of the time and barely missed it.

I am somewhat pissed that the free Cinemax/HBO weekend promised for June 12-14 isn't being honored. Then again, seeing the listings for the films offered, not much of a loss, other than a chance to see The Dark Knight once again.
    I have comcast in philly...... they do lose service a lot and when it's working, it's friggin' slow as shit. AND YES, NOT THE BEST SELECTIONS EITHER. HA!
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:45 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

That many people without cable/dish satellite? Hell, how many channels can you even pick up with rabbit ears?
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

After seeing a thing or two on the digital TV offerings, I'd be tempted to drop satellite and go the OTA route again, providing I was clser to the transmission towers. Seems that many stations offer 2 or more choices in programming. One of them over in Orlando offers like 4 different programming choices in digital mode.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm getting most of the stations out of Cleveland with a $50 HD antenna that i have inside above my garage door.

the local CBS is a clusterfuck to begin with and they selected digital channel 10, which is also the channel of a Canadian station across the lake. local CBS is running lower power so they don't interfere with the Canadian station and has been hard to pick up from day one. this station is known for its mismanagement and cheapness.

the local FOX was coming in nicely, but they moved to a different digital channel and now i can't get them OTA. it's okay though, i am picking up CBS and FOX out of Youngstown crystal clear.

local CBS news is a joke and the local FOX news is more about American Idol than news, so i won't miss them. i can always watch 'em on DirecTV if i had to. we haven't switched to HD satellite yet, and i may be moving so i'm just going to wait.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 06.14.09 at 10:19 AM.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

I'm not surprised that there are reception calls from the DFW area. I have rabbit ears for a TV in the garage. I'm only 20 miles from downtown, and I have horrible reception for all local channels, with the exception of Fox.

Obviously not that big a deal for me. I can drag a cable box out there if I need to watch something bad enough.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

wow...never would have thought that folks so active online would be getting TV over the air.

We switched from Comcast to ATT a while back and ATT is waaaay better. Obviously, because we were already getting digital signals we were unaffected by the switch over.

It's amazing how much air time The Switch has taken up in Houston. I don't see what's so damn complicated.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    wow...never would have thought that folks so active online would be getting TV over the air.

We switched from Comcast to ATT a while back and ATT is waaaay better. Obviously, because we were already getting digital signals we were unaffected by the switch over.

It's amazing how much air time The Switch has taken up in Houston. I don't see what's so damn complicated.

Do you all have the AT&T uverse deal for your TV, or the packege with DirecTV? I've been waiting for them to offer the Uverse thing here to see what the pricing will be like, but seeing as how they just got DSL out here last year, I don't know how long it will take.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Do you all have the AT&T uverse deal for your TV, or the packege with DirecTV? I've been waiting for them to offer the Uverse thing here to see what the pricing will be like, but seeing as how they just got DSL out here last year, I don't know how long it will take.
    we have Uverse. It was way cheaper than Comcast, the customer service is great, the picture quality is awesome and the HD programming package is great. There were some kinks that needed working out, the house we are leasing is old and has all kinds of spaghetti from the various cable and satelite companies that were used over the years so it took ATT about 6 visits before they got rid of the distortion and issues with the signal dropping but once they did it has been great.

I highly recommend it. We pay 130 bucks and that includes every single channel they offer plus their second tier internet connection.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.