Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Just received my KNE Frank body...

Ö and I canít say Iím pleased. Donít get me wrong, the body looks fine and Mitch is a great guy to deal with. Really is. The problem is that the cavities are off. Way off. In fact thereís hardly room to put the pickup the right wayÖ I measured a while and realised that the bridge is placed too close to the cavities. I guess in order to maintain intonation, these shrunkÖ

In the next picture, I put a pencil on the end of the Floyd Rose both on the template and the KNE. You can see that the jack cavity is off too. The part on the rear of the Floyd (the left side of the body when you look at it straight) is too long. That way, the black diagonal stripe will never be correct.

Iíll try and take more pictures, but Iím not sure how to address this problem. Maybe itís my templates that are wrong, but every other measure fits tight and matches (just notice the Floyd post spacement). I'll keep working on this body, hoping that it will turn out acceptable, but it's clear to see that at least the humbucker route is compromised.

Now, this is not meant to be seen as a diss post!!!! This is just a call up for everyone who wants to make an accurate replica. And to Mitch, to urge him to correct these issues. Unfortunately, itís too late for me, since I already paid for this.

I have contacted Mitch prior to him sending this body, asked him for the correction and he has said that he didn't know how long it would take to make them.

Sorry for the big pics.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Remember 2 things:

-The original frankie had the floyd moved quite a ways up towards the neck to fix it's intonation sometime in the 80s.

-The full size picture you have is going to be distorted size wise. There is no way to take an actual 'straight on' picture of a guitar body. Notice the sides are showing on some edges and hidden on others? In order to get an accurate full size print out to measure from, you would have to take all the hardware off the original, set it flat on a large scanner, and go from there...

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All you have to do is take a look at the humbucker cavity with the humbucker in there. On the real Franky, the pickup was swimming in that huge route. It barely fits inside the KNE's route. I can carely slant it, there is no room!

Regarding the Floyd moving towards the neck... I doubt Tom Anderson has also made the routes smaller... No, this is something different. Tom moved it just a tad, a quarter inch I believe... not sure, though. Oh, and the pencil drawn piece overlaped on the body is from AFTER that change was made by Anderson...

As for the actual size, I took the plainest picture In could have and increased it in Photoshop. And if you increase just the front of the guitar, there won't be such distortions... I also increased others based on the distance between the Floyd posts: 7,5cm. They all fit as far as the Floyd distance is concerned. When it comes to the routes, disaster strikes.

I was hoping this would be a great piece for its value, but unless I can find some way to cheat this mess, I'll just have to order a new body.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i you drew it base on any image..it's never gonna work..i ran it into a 3D softare and it was NEVER that off as you're putting it.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    i you drew it base on any image..it's never gonna work..i ran it into a 3D softare and it was NEVER that off as you're putting it.
    Al, what the hell are you trying to say?!! En francais, SVP!
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    Regarding the Floyd moving towards the neck... Tom moved it just a tad, a quarter inch I believe... not sure, though.
    That's right, he moved it up 1/4inch to correct the intonation.

Note the position of the bridge relative to the qaurter in 1983 prior to the adjustment...

...and it's new postion in 1997 (note that the quarter did not move!)

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    Oh, and the pencil drawn piece overlaped on the body is from AFTER that change was made by Anderson... (
    Right again. That picture of the "Franky" was taken in 1997.
    WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I realize that your picture is of the frankie with the Floyd moved up, but like Al3d said, going on measuring a photo, you will never get it accurate, as there is a ton of distance distortion due to the angle of the photo in relation to the body. Read up on some basic drafting and you will find plenty of stuff about this...

What you can do is use your full size pic as the master reference, then get a bunch of other pics, and use reference points and angle measurements (which are less distorted) to get all of the paint lines, holes, and routes correct.

I believe the reason why your 'correct size' trace that you showed over the actual body has the floyd mounted too far back is that when you sized your printout, you sized it to the face of the guitar, and not the edges which are hidden in the photo -- which would make your printout about 1/4 - 1/2 inch too large. That is exactly what it looks like.

You could prove your templates definitely right or wrong by doing this:

-Mark where your template says the floyd post holes should be on the real body
    -Mount the neck
    -Measure from the center of the floyd hole to where the strings actually sit on the bridge
    -Measure from the inside edge of the nut to the center of the actual trem hole, and then from the nut again to the center of the template trem hole marking
    -Add the first measurement to each of the second measurements, and the one which is about 1/8" over 25.5" wins.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 06.13.09 at 02:15 PM.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, I just need to do this: put the pickup inside the humbucker route and see if it fits like it's supposed to. Guess what? I just did! It doesn't fit. I said it above, the pickup can barely be slanted! I guess that is pretty obvious and self explanatory. EVEN if my drawing was wrong, there is no way that I'm installing an oversized, Dianabol-fed pickup!

And about the body never being 100% accurate... That's a far obvious notion. Of course it won't be. But there are levels of unaccuracy I'm ready to accept and this is too much. If it is so impossible ti get it right, how come Kyle gets it done? That's a retorical question, I know how he did it and the difference between his dedication and research and KNE's.

I find it rather difficult to believe that a guitar in a stand being photographed would distort half an inch!

But like I said above, I have CLOSE UPS of the face of the guitar. Plain and simple. No perspective to fool you! No degrees, no inclination! I've measured those and the difference is still visible. Jimi can testify about the extent of my research...

I'm not saying that KNE's body doesn't have a reason to be made that way. As I said, maybe it's for intonation purposes (if the bridges backs up a little, it's goodbye intonation). So, once again, how come Kyle (and even Fender, but those had the real deal on their hands) did that right? Or can it be that I had a defective piece?

The bottom line is: the thing is not accurate and that will cost me a new body.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh and even if the vertical perspective of the guitar on the stand would distort... it would distort to a smaller route, not a larger one...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are not willing to accept the simple facts about imagery, measurement, and drafting, I can't help you. I realize the HB route is too small -- everyone knows that, and people complete it however they feel is accurate.

Again, the distortion causes parts of the guitar to be smaller... then when you scale it up using photoshop, you will make those smaller parts the correct, and slightly bigger than in the photo size, causing the rest of the drawing to be too LARGE -- just like your template....

But again, refusing the facts and refusing to accept that some of your 'research' or 'measurement' or methods of building might be wrong when people are trying to help, will not get you far.... (I suppose I should insert a smiley face here as you do when you make an assuming and arrogant statement)

Geez man, I'm just trying to help you out, using known-to-work methods and practices.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 06.13.09 at 04:17 PM.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this does'nt seem to have been ask..but is your humbucker regular or FR spaced?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    this does'nt seem to have been ask..but is your humbucker regular or FR spaced?
    Very good point.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    If you are not willing to accept the simple facts about imagery, measurement, and drafting, I can't help you. I realize the HB route is too small -- everyone knows that, and people complete it however they feel is accurate.

Again, the distortion causes parts of the guitar to be smaller... then when you scale it up using photoshop, you will make those smaller parts the correct, and slightly bigger than in the photo size, causing the rest of the drawing to be too LARGE -- just like your template....

But again, refusing the facts and refusing to accept that some of your 'research' or 'measurement' or methods of building might be wrong when people are trying to help, will not get you far.... (I suppose I should insert a smiley face here as you do when you make an assuming and arrogant statement)

Geez man, I'm just trying to help you out, using known-to-work methods and practices.
    I agree with this post.
    Get yourself a Dremel and fix it.
    You want someone to build the thing for ya too?
    Instead of discrediting things that aren't nothin to fix, use the energy to improvize. Thats what buildins all about.
    Come on Brutha!
    I used to hack up SSS Fender bodys for Frankenstrats for Christs sake.
    That's part of the fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alain, I think that being Floyd Rose space makes it longer, not.... fatter, I guess, and that is the problem.

As for making arrogant statements... I didn't think I was. (no smiley for you) I was just warning people of something evident, with pictures. I am not just saying, I am showing. I guess anyone with some knowledge about Eddie Van Halen's Frankentsrat takes a look at the piece drawn and realizes that it has not been manipulated in what concerns scale.

MrJ, you say that when I use Photoshop, I blah blah blah... No, I don't make that kind of corrections... that would be to cheat the original piece. I just increase the size evenly, in order to not distort the image. AND, as I said twice, I do have other pictures of the face of the guitar. Those are straight without any angle. You are the one who can't accept that someone else has made several attempts, hoping to have a coorect body. Do you think I would be posting here after I layed a single measurement? I tried with several images. One being the famous Hames photo of the cavity with a huge definition. The humbucker fits tight with the one in the photograph - length and height. When I lay that pic on top of the route - it's off. You say my methods of research are wrong. If that's how you feel, fine, even though you have no idea what those methods may be. Your help seams to be "No, that route is correct, it's the scale that is wrong, it's the humbucker that it's too big, it's the real Franky that was wrong,etc". That means you're not helping, you are denying something I am posting - with photographs. In fact, all you ever did was just that - denying what I showed. If my measures are not accurate, show me yours. Please provide me with a real size template. One of yours. I'll set on top of the body and show it here. I'll know if it's been manipulated to appear right.

I realize Mitch has lots of supporters here, and justifiably, because he is a great guy. I understand that and I've said that myself. I had no problem ordering from him before and I'm sure his othet models don't have this problem. I have used another model and praised his professionalism and his product. It has nothing to do with what's happening here. This particular situation is different. I just don't understand people accepting that route as correct when it's not. You make it sound like I'm trying to diss or bash his work, when my intention was to try to get it a little better. It would be better for us all to work together in oder to get Mitch some more correct and accurate coordinates.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    I agree with this post.
    Get yourself a Dremel and fix it.
    You want someone to build the thing for ya too?
    Instead of discrediting things that aren't nothin to fix, use the energy to improvize. Thats what buildins all about.
    Come on Brutha!
    I used to hack up SSS Fender bodys for Frankenstrats for Christs sake.
    That's part of the fun.
    Hey, Ron!

That was my first idea. But take a look at the pictures I showed. The things you mention as nothing to fix include drilling new Floyd posts. There's not enough wood AFTER the posts to hold the Floyd in a new position. I have no problem working with a dremel on the cavity. I would even add wood, if I could find some here...

I also hacked an S-S-S body. I fact, my replica that you posted on a previous post as being most unaccurate was done that way. I didn't have a Dremmel by then, so I really chiseled out the cavity. The body was far far far from correct in what concerns shape. That's why it looks that horrible way.

Once again, I'm not discrediting. Maybe it would be simpler if I just accept it as correct. For most, less-than-average seems to be ok. For some, average is great. Maybe I'm desiring too much. I hoped to get a body with that route right on. I wa counting on Dremmeling a bit here and there, but nothing tto deep.