Register
Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

Default Living in a "Facebook world"

OK, so I'm kind of new to the whole Facebook thing. I know there's a group here that signed up and I signed up months ago and never got the confirmation message back, but recently finally took the time to get up and running at the behest of some former coworkers (well, one of them really, but there are a bunch of them on there in my "friends" list now).

Anyway, had some odd stuff happen this week. The first was when a person showed up in the "suggestions" that I had not had contact with in quite a while, and the only other person on my friends list who would possibly have this person on their friends list (which is where, up until now, these suggestions had been coming from) is mrs007, but she does not have this person on her friends list. Then, when I went to another screen, another person appeared in the suggestions, and this was someone who even my wife would not have on her friends list (wife of a local coach who has had two of my sons on his team at different times and who does a lot of work with the league). I decided to look at the list of all suggestions and there were all kinds of surprising people - the mom of one of my players this spring, various linkers, and the usual array of people that are friends of friends on Facebook. So - how did Facebook know that I knew these people that were not friends of friends in Facebook already? After a while, I figured it out. Normally, due to the amount of spam I receive, I just use earthlink webmail as it allows me to mark spam messages as such - which I don't know if that information is helping in the war against spam, but it makes me feel as if I'm doing my part. But I did open my Windows Mail earlier in the week to retrieve some earlier information, and when I did, Facebook must've read my address book and then matched email addresses with people's profiles on Facebook! I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that!

Then I got a friend request from someone whose name was not immediately familiar when I got home last night. I looked at their friends list (as I always do even with people I know, just to see if there are any people on there that I've forgotten about) and with one exception, they were all current or former employees of my current employer (including the user herself, under a slightly different name - I checked that profile's friends list and more ex or current coworkers). Still couldn't figure out who it was - Googled it and founder her linkedin profile, where she stated that she had worked for our company. This morning, acting on a hunch, I was able to determine who she was (and under that name she was linked as a friend on the second profile I'd found, and the profile picture with that account did not look anything like (to me) the person on the first two profiles!). Also, while Googling, I found someone with that name that ran out on a catering tab for their wedding in North Carolina last year, where the comment read that when they'd called her employer that she'd been terminated for lying. Now, I don't know if it's her or not, but that got me to thinking. On the one hand, she works for a business similar to the current one I work for and maybe she's trying to get in touch to possibly recruit me for that company. But on the other, our company goes through a lot of employees, and I have no knowledge of the reasons for why they leave our company - some I'm sure find better jobs, others commit offenses that lead to their termination. If that was her in North Carolina, she would be in the second group. And with all the ex-employees in her friends list, and not knowing the reasons they left, is it conceivable that as Facebook grows and becomes more popular, that it will not be above companies to scan their employees' Facebook friends list and if someone is associating themselves with people who left the company under not the best of terms, that that employee themself would now be subject to extra scrutiny? I try not to use the company email for anything other than company business and I rarely use that computer to browse the links (especially when the VPN is connected or I am otherwise on the corporate network), but still, I don't like scrutiny! I know we've had stories of people losing opportunities because of pictures they'd posted on myspace or Facebook or whatever, but will it ever go so far as to turn into guilt by association?

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally I think Facebook and MySpace are lame. They cater to people's narcissistic side and attempts to justify it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

At best those sites allow people a new way of keeping touch that allows various options beyond just picking up their phone. At worst it can be nothing more than attention grabbing that, yes can lead to professional problems.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I enjoy facebook. I have gotten in tuch with some great people from years gone by.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    I enjoy facebook. I have gotten in touch with some great people from years gone by.
    Exactly OLO. Even though I don't get on there as much as I would like, I have gotten in touch with people from school that I haven't spoken to in years. It's been like a class reunion lately and has put a smile on my face catching up with them. It seems like half our class is living in Florida and if it was not for Facebook, I doubt I would be chatting with these long lost friends.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

I enjoy FB. I have gotten in contact w/persons I haven't spoken to in many years. All but one has been a good experience. And the one "bad" experience really wasn't that bad-some good things came out of it.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    At best those sites allow people a new way of keeping touch that allows various options beyond just picking up their phone. At worst it can be nothing more than attention grabbing that, yes can lead to professional problems.
    You know Broke, that last sentence can be applied to The Links as well

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like my MySpace page. I can keep up with my brother and some friends (which include some Linkers). I can also keep up with some bands and artists.

I may add a Facebook page this fall, after the hype dies down.

Nothing wrong with have a presence on either one.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    But I did open my Windows Mail earlier in the week to retrieve some earlier information, and when I did, Facebook must've read my address book and then matched email addresses with people's profiles on Facebook! I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that!
    Dude, I know exactly what you're talking about and I think you hit the bulls-eye.

My ex GF from 5 bloody years ago turned up as a suggested friend....and NOBODY that I know on FB is in contact with her in any way or has ever met her. It gets better.....the damn thing suggested my crazy as a rat in a tin shithouse ex-roommate as a friend.

I'm not pleased with this little discovery either.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the sky, Humans Being
    Last Online

05.27.15 @ 08:46 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

i honestly think they are lame also. although they are good for catching up with people, and keeping in touch with people, it just sickens me to see people taking so much time to sit on a computer posting statuses and giving stupid bumper stickers instead of doing something that is actually productive. it has consumed my generation and its sickening. as for twitter and all that... dont even get me started on that. i dont think its nessisary to let someone know ur every move, and if u read peoples shit on twitter u need to get a life... its like this....

Tim - is going to take a crap
    tim- is going to brush his teeth
    tim is going to go to bed
    tim- cant sleep so he got back on twitter

and so the cycle keeps goin...
    Personal Link
    www.facebook.com/TWDJR

Band Links:
    www.facebook.com/azmythband
    www.myspace.com/azmythband
    www.soundclick.com/azmythus
    www.azmythmusic.com

"Does anyone elses grandmother drink bacon grease?"

"I could barely see the ham, from the steam comin off of it, i reached down, between its legs, and cut a piece off" ... "Hamina"

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah it's kinda creepy. I've got one of those pages at the suggestion of a friend but now have to wonder about all those links that are there.

I may bail soon.........
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I thought Myspace was perfectly functional for posting the kind of info one
    would like - music, pix, blog, contacts, whatnot. My only problem with it is
    here it defaults to Espanol and I have to change languages every time!

Then Facebook comes along to ride its coattails and everyone wants me to
    jump on that. So I did, but frankly, I wonder why I spent all that time designing
    my space if that's not going to be 'hip' anymore. Maybe I'm not proactive enough,
    but it took me all goddamn year to get my friends up to an acceptable number that
    doesn't make me look like a virtual pariah. Now you want me to begin that cycle of
    desperation and embarrassment all over again? Thanks.

Now it seems every week there's a new site that is essentially the same deal that everyone
    expects me to then latch onto. Sorry, I can't be bothered. Like I said, I'm on Myspace, if you
    want to send me a message or see my pix or hear my music, just go there. Or here's an idea
    - just use my ole fashioned email address, it's going to go there anyway. I am also the proud
    owner of a cell phone.

And I vehemently draw the line at Twitter. I will never tweet. Or to put
    it mildly, fuck that stupid, trendy, vacuous bullshit.

Meanwhile, back on the links...

Me: Woke up.
    Me: brushed teeth.
    Me: Thought maybe I should eat something.
    Me: Got online to bitch about Twitter instead...
    Last edited by mistere; 06.12.09 at 09:43 PM.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post
    I thought Myspace was perfectly functional for posting the kind of info one
    would like - music, pix, blog, contacts, whatnot. My only problem with it is
    here it defaults to Espanol and I have to change languages every time!

Then Facebook comes along to ride its coattails and everyone wants me to
    jump on that. So I did, but frankly, I wonder why I spent all that time designing
    my space if that's not going to be 'hip' anymore. Maybe I'm not proactive enough,
    but it took me all goddamn year to get my friends up to an acceptable number that
    doesn't make me look like a virtual pariah. Now you want me to begin that cycle of
    desperation and embarrassment all over again? Thanks.

Now it seems every week there's a new site that is essentially the same deal that everyone
    expects me to then latch onto. Sorry, I can't be bothered. Like I said, I'm on Myspace, if you
    want to send me a message or see my pix or hear my music, just go there. Or here's an idea
    - just use my ole fashioned email address, it's going to go there anyway. I am also the proud
    owner of a cell phone.

And I vehemently draw the line at Twitter. I will never tweet. Or to put
    it mildly, fuck that stupid, trendy, vacuous bullshit.

Meanwhile, back on the links...

Me: Woke up.
    Me: brushed teeth.
    Me: Thought maybe I should eat something.
    Me: Got online to bitch about Twitter instead...
    LOL, exactly. I never did the MySpace thing other than I signed up at one time to see something that someone wanted me to see. I did Facebook for my best friend to begin with and now it's all for family and friends from school. I could care less about the number of friends, it's quality over quantity.

As for Tweeter, I just can't imagine someone posting their every move. More so, I think it's dangerous for some people when others know their every move.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post

My ex GF from 5 bloody years ago turned up as a suggested friend....and NOBODY that I know on FB is in contact with her in any way or has ever met her. It gets better.....the damn thing suggested my crazy as a rat in a tin shithouse ex-roommate as a friend.

I'm not pleased with this little discovery either.
    Forutnately I haven't had any of those happen....yet. I have had several persons add me as friends and I accept only to have to ask later, "Hey, who the hell is this?" Most of the time, I still don't know them. One time it was a good friend of mine from h.s. I didn't recognize her b/c she used a pic of her kids and was going by her married name.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I've been on Facebook for a while now, and although I took a bit convincing, I have to say it's been useful for me both professionally and personally. Just last week a stray comment on someone's wall led to a good opportunity for me, which then developed into some other things. It's a completely different animal from MySpace, which basically gives you a mini website, and a poorly constructed one at that. Facebook, on the other hand, is all about communication. While you can make contact with others through MySpace, it's a clunky and laborious way of doing things. Facebook is much more slick and streamlined for its purpose.

I've heard a lot of people scorn the idea of Twitter, and the lists of banal comments a few posters here have described don't really happen. I was very sceptical about Twitter, but gave it a go at the insistence of various friends. Once I finally got what it was for, I've been using it more often, and tying it to my Facebook account. I've wound up having very interesting discussions on Twitter, and learning a lot. If you're in a specific industry, it can be a great source of breaking information. And some twitterers are just very funny.

I also use Blogger, and that has helped my career enormously - in fact, I wouldn't have one if not for the connections I made through my blog.

Incidentally, does anyone else see the irony in criticising social websites on a, well, social website?
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America