Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

"It Might Get Loud" Film: Jimmy Page, The Edge And Jack White Talk Guitars

Personally, I can't wait for this to come out on DVD with bonus footage.

It Might Get Loud - Opening August 14, 2009

There are guitar players, and then there are rock stars. It Might Get Loud is an epic, exhilarating backstage pass into the world of the latter. Over the course of one day, three generations of electric-guitar phenoms come together, crank up their amps, and let it roll.

Documentarian Davis Guggenheim gives us so much more than an all-star jam session (that would make even the gnarliest of rock geeks giddy); he leads us to these artists' inner sanctums and illuminates the paths each one traveled to forge a sound all his own. We begin to understand how a one-time furniture upholsterer from Detroit, a London studio musician, and a Dublin schoolboy redefined the horizons of guitar playing. Meanwhile, Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), the Edge (U2), and Jack White (The White Stripes) seem genuinely to enjoy each other's company while sharing riffs, swapping stories, and divulging their distinct philosophies of craft.

This soulful opus is at once a portrait of each artist and a captivating examination of the creative process. It Might Get Loud does get loud, and in the process, opens up our minds and hearts to a whole new way of listening to and enjoying what it means to rock.

The September issue of Guitar World, on newsstands July1.

http://festival.sundance.org/2009/fi...might_get_loud

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...trailer-209456
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Been looking forward to this as well...have read on some other boards from some people that have seen this and how much they enjoyed it.

BTW How cool is Jack White....building his makeshift guitar with a discared piece of wood, Coke bottle and wire....this dude is the (Modern Day) Macgyver of the Blues...AND IT SOUNDED COOL TOO!
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

Man I can't spell.
    But change is!"

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah. I'm really looking forward to this as well. Jimmy and the Edge have been heros of mine as long as I can remember. I was initially pretty cool toward Jack White/The White Stripes, I've warmed up to him. The 1st Raconteurs was pretty damn good and inspired me to go back and give The White Stripes a closer listen and I dig them. Icky Thump has some pretty good, Zeppelin-esque riffage.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The thing about White is he was apparently one of those enfant terribles early on in his career, and stepped on more than a handful of toes. Big deal. I enjoy his work with the Stripes, and that Loretta Lynn album he produced and played on (Van Lear Rose) is one of the finest country music records ever made.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

I'm drooling. Jack White I don't really care for his style of playing but damn is this going to be one cool flick.

Page looks so god damn cool when he gets out of the Mercedes with the long coat. He is a GOD.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    Yeah. I'm really looking forward to this as well. Jimmy and the Edge have been heros of mine as long as I can remember. I was initially pretty cool toward Jack White/The White Stripes, I've warmed up to him. The 1st Raconteurs was pretty damn good and inspired me to go back and give The White Stripes a closer listen and I dig them. Icky Thump has some pretty good, Zeppelin-esque riffage.
    De Stijil & Get Behind Me Satan are my personal favorites.
    But change is!"

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:33 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

I got the blu-ray release of "It Might get Loud" Monday from Amazon.com and got around to watching it today, stuck at home on a rainy Wednesday.

Although the previews kind of lead a viewer to think it's a 90 minute jam session between Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White, it's really more extended individual interviews with and a history of each guitarist's career. The parts where all three musicians are together in a large warehouse style studio discussing each other's songs and playing styles, sometimes playing bits of tunes together only comprises about 30% of the movie which concludes with the three playing a great acoustic version of The Band's song "The Weight." There's some nice deleted scenes included on the disc, my favorite being Page discussing and playing bits of "Kashmir" with the other two musicians. Another deleted scene is unintentionally funny where Jimmy Page is demonstrating a theremin and The Edge repeatedly asks Page "is that a theremin" (wtf else would it be, a garbage disposal?) and Page either ignores him or more likely can't hear for shit anymore, especially over the noise he's making.

The one thing that many people including myself will probably come out of watching this movie is a greater appreciation for Jack White who while could be criticized as too "retro" and perhaps contrived with his stripped down rootsy blues style and rather self concious "image," has an infectious passion and energy for (his) music that is hard to ignore. Not to mention, he *is* not just a really good guitarist but an overall excellent musician. There's a few staged bits with White alone where he's with a 9 year old (uncredited) boy who's dressed like White and meant to represent White as a child with the elder Jack "teaching" the boy rudimentary blues that's a little odd.

As expected, The Edge spends a lot of time showing how he uses his massive arsenal of effects with guitars to come up with different sounds. One of the out takes shows him basically doing a soundcheck as the film crew sets up that's pretty cool to watch as he plays snippets of several well-known U2 songs like "Until The End Of The World." There's one interesting and rarely seen early 1978-ish performance of U2 playing a pre-1st album song "Street Mission" that I'm sure the band wished had never been filmed (Bono looks and acts like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever).

But it's Jimmy Page however who comes across as the musicians' musician of the three and often basically schools the other two about songs, music in general and playing who are clearly in awe of Page.

The sound and video quality are pretty much top notch. The archive footage from all three players and their respective bands (U2's is mostly Elevation tour footage) is a bit rough in places but as far as I can tell, isn't anything previously unseen.

Might be a bit to dry for most people and I personally wish there'd been more actual performance stuff with the three players together instead of the individual interview and archive footage stuff, but it's definitely worth a look for anyone interested in rock guitar and especially any or all of these three musicians.

T.B.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 18,151 Times in 8,969 Posts

I'm getting this. I am not a big effects guy, so I am curious to see how The Edge gets his sound.

And I like Page with the long gray hair.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'll be having this as well. Can't wait to see it! Been pricing it. looks like it's goin for around $25.........
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!