Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Who can route my guitar for a floyd?

I have a left handed OLP MM1 that I would like to install a Jackson Low pro floyd on, but I do not want to try and route it myself and ruin it. I live in the Milwaukee area if that makes a differnce. It is my only guitar and I would like to have an experienced person do a professional looking job. Any referals or testimonials as to the quality of any luthiers who do this kind of work would be appreciated. Also, pricing may play a role, as I am not a rich man. Thanks in advance for any help. - Steve

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stephenjay21 View Post
    I have a left handed OLP MM1 that I would like to install a Jackson Low pro floyd on, but I do not want to try and route it myself and ruin it. I live in the Milwaukee area if that makes a differnce. It is my only guitar and I would like to have an experienced person do a professional looking job. Any referals or testimonials as to the quality of any luthiers who do this kind of work would be appreciated. Also, pricing may play a role, as I am not a rich man. Thanks in advance for any help. - Steve
    Are you going to have the floyd floating or just dive only (resting on the body)?

Because if you want it on there dive only, you don't probably need to route at all -- just drill some holes for posts, and file a tiny bit.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought low pros needed to be routed. I do just want it to dive though,so if there is a modified route that I could do easily, I would be up for it. I just don't want to screw it up.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought low pros needed to be routed. I do just want it to dive though,so if there is a modified route that I could do easily, I would be up for it. I just don't want to screw it up.
    I don't use Low Pro's, so I'm not familiar with how you can mount them.

I do know that you can mount regular floyds onto OLP's with NO extra routing to the body (I did exactly that to the guitar in my profile pic), but you do have to route the nut shelf which can be tricky.

Anyone here use a Low Pro that is dive only??
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 06.10.09 at 06:40 PM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a OFR, but I am saving to use on a Scott Fletcher Wolfgang when he gets around to it.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you lived in the St. Louis, MO area, I would have a great guy for you to talk to, as he is GREAT luthier, very reasonable prices, and very quick turn around. That being said, I can't tell you a price based on your area.

The question is this: how much different does a Jackson Lo-Pro look and function than an OFR? I know that you have both in your hands... If it isn't all that different, then installation is pretty straight forward.

I would think that $75-100 would be the ballpark for a job like you are thinking of having done. I could be totally off here. I know it usually costs me about a C-note when I take the guitars I finish and modify to my luthier and hire them to route the Floyd shelf, install the bushings and set it up with my choice of strings. My guitar looks better coming out than going into the shoppe. Your experience, pricing and mileage may vary...
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!