Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default Question for those who got into VH in the Hagar era

Weird question cause I got into VH in 86 when "5150" came out. I was so used to having Sammy at the mic during his time in VH. After all the shit went down in 96, I could'nt imagine anyone else with the band, only Sammy. I did'nt even feel comfortable with Roth first coming back for the 2 new songs on the "Best of". I still feel that way today. I've been so used to seeing Dave the solo artist, its hard to picture him fronting a band again, cause I've never been used to him fronting a band. Does anyone else feel this way, who got into VH around 86?
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Default Sam who?

No!

When was the singer for Chickenfoot ever in Van Halen?

Dave and Gary forever!

Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For me, I need an actual singer with my music. Roth is not that. Having said that, I was a Hagar fan before VH and so when he joined - they became a better band as far as I was concerned. Look, I understand what Roth brings to the table as a showman - but I need more than that. His brand of talking the lyrics doesn't do it for me. So I would prefer that Sammy and Mike were back in the band.

Last Online

06.26.14 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got into them in 1984 and then got exposed to the earlier albums. I got in just in time for Dave to leave. But I have to say that I loved version 2.0 as well. It's just that they always felt like 2 completely different bands to me. 5150 was my first VH tour. 8th row center with my older brother - back when you actually could camp out for tix. Great memories.

I hate all this Dave vs. Sammy crap. For me, they were both great... just different.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.26.17 @ 05:29 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

I was born in '79, so I grew up during the Sammy years. I have fond memories of listening to songs from 5150 playing on the radio. Still, I appreciated the Dave-era songs as well and as I got older, I gradually grew to prefer the Dave era over the Sammy era, although I love both.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 393 Times in 176 Posts

I was 11 when Jump came out. I remember it as being my first "favorite song" ever. That was when I got into music, around that age. So, you guessed it, by the time I was full fledged into Van Halen Dave was out and I grew up listening to 5150 over and over and over. I like the Sammy years, but I love the Dave years. I just prefer Daves studio voice to Sammy's studio voice. In response to a post above, I agree Dave talked a lot live, but in the Studio when he was doin frickin splits I thought he was a better singer than Sam with way way more catchy lyrics, a more interesting voice with the falsetto, his screams and just more interesting all around melody in his voice. Sam is great at what he does, a basic powerful rock voice. It's just a little on the screeching side for me and a little monotonous with not as much range in pitch as Dave.

As with most all of us, both favorites, just one like a little more.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I really got in VH when Sammy was the singer. I in time like everybody else grew to love the Dave stuff as well, in fact I think it does trump the stuff with Sammy as much as it hurts me to admit that. However those Sammy albums will always have a special place in my heart, regardless of the long going debate.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Well as someone who grew up with Dave as the singer of VH, I have to say when he left, I like everyone else was bummed out big time. When I heard Sammy Hagar was joining the band, I was skeptical, I didn't like his solo stuff, thought he was a B-level musician (I was also 14 and stupid) because all I really knew was "I Can't Drive 55." I was determined to HATE the new VH, no matter how much I loved Ed's playing.

I didn't buy 5150 right away, and I heard WCTBL on the radio, and was already sick of Ed with the synth crap and hated the song. But one of my friends had purchased the album and kept telling me, "Listen to it, I am telling you, you won't hate it, trust me." He lived down the street, so I went to his house and I walk in, the first thing he played me was "Summer Nights" and that opening riff blew me away. And I really liked the chorus and didn't mind Sam's voice, and honestly from that moment I kinda re-discovered VH after walking away from it because of Sam for that period of time.

Over the years I just really liked what Sam brought to the band, I thought he was much more diverse vocally than Dave, and I was a huge Dave fan. I still like the Dave stuff more (that's what I grew up with and what prompted me to play guitar), but I really enjoyed Sam's years in VH and I think he made Ed a better musician, and I think Sam also greatly benefitted from playing with Ed as well. At the time Dave came back the first time I thought it was a step backwards with where Dave's career was at the time and certainly his voice was in bad shape. I still think VH would be a better band now with Sam and Mike than it would ever be with Dave and Ed's kid. But it's a moot point.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Two of my earliest memories of being completely taken with rock and roll were very much related to Van Halen. The first was seeing the "Runnin' With The Devil" video somewhere on television in '82. I was 7 and loved the look and sound; I studied the number of band members and their instruments so I could "know how to" put my own band together. Two years later, when our local rock station did their New Year's Eve countdown of songs from 1984, "Jump" was the #1 song they played at midnight. I loved it and made my mom take me to the store the next day to buy the album (9 year old kid walking around with that album cover...). I listened to that album up and down for months, and it was my older brother who in late '85 told me about Dave quitting and VH hiring Sammy. He and all his musician friends completely subscribed the "VH is better with a real singer" thing, so I bought it too. I probably listened to 5150 more than 1984, and it was then I started exploring all the previous VH albums. By the time OU812 came out I was a certified Junior High VH nut who could sing almost every lyric from every album. I was antsy and crazy all throughout school the day of OU812's release, and the moment I got off the bus in the afternoon I ran home and jumped on my bike to go buy it at the music store. I saw VH for the first time that summer at the Metrodome for the Monsters of Rock tour (13 years old). They were absolutely my favorite band. I (at the time) liked them better with Sammy. I totally believed Sammy's MTV Rockumentary comments that VH wouldn't ever burn out. I kept following every album release, though I admittedly didn't listen to as much VH in the early 90s (late-teens/early-20s--a good time to explore lots of other aspects of culture). I recall seeing the Kurt Loder MTV news report in '96 with my roommate the first day it aired and was completely astounded to here Sammy was out and Dave was back. For those of us following VH since Sammy's entrance we'd always been told that would never, ever happen. When the Best Of came out I thought the same thing Brett did about the tunes--that VH had evolved musically well beyond what Dave could do on top of it. I thought the quality of the engineering and production had never been better than on those two songs (not to mention how kickass the band was playing), but Dave's terrible performances and less-than-stellar lyrics took away from the songs for me. So I can say at that moment I did indeed miss Sammy, but I had hope the production quality would continue on the new album with Gary. It goes without saying I was almost knocked out of my chair when I heard the drastic shift in quality from the Best Of tunes to the III album. And, again, I missed that familiar part of VH I'd previously been very fond of. But that helped me better understand why so many fans were so disappointed when Dave left; he brought so much to the character of Van Halen it was hard to imagine anyone else there--even harder if that band helped define your youth in all its affectionate ways. I saw two shows with Gary on the III tour and have super fond memories of each (because the band was damn good on both and I had amazing times with friends and family at each). I was ready to give the second CD from VH III a shot, but of course it never happened. I followed all the rumors about Dave being back (because he was) in 2000. After that fizzled I wondered what the hell would ever happen. When the first picture of the reunited Van Halen appeared on the 'net in '04 it brought a very genuine smile to my face--I was literally giddy about it. By the time I saw them on that tour here in St. Paul in July, I'd read all the reviews of shows, seen video bootlegs, and heard the stories about Ed's drunkenness. I knew exactly what to expect and wasn't surprised in the least when I saw it. Still, I'd hoped they would hire a producer and do an album. All the Dave/Mike/Wolf shit from '07 on... well my thoughts have already been documented here on this board as those events occurred.

That was my very long-winded way of saying: Yes, I felt like something was missing when Sammy left, even when we saw VH with Dave and heard the two new songs with him.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I still think VH would be a better band now with Sam and Mike than it would ever be with Dave and Ed's kid.
    And you'd be absolutely correct on that point, though moot.

I grew up in the Dave era, saw four shows on three tours, but I was so young. The Van Hagar years are far more sentimental for me, particularly in terms of live touring, because I was old enough not only to abstract the musicianship and the experience, but to appreciate it beyond being overwhelmed as a younger teen just stoked to be at a big old arena show. Also, during the Dave years, I was such an Eddie whore he was exclusively who and what I focused on, both on record and live. It was only during the Hagar years that I came to appreciate the band as the sum of its parts, and for that alone, the Van Hagar tours are more meaningful to me than the Dave era tours. However, the albums' resonance remains the same, there's nothing in the world like the first six Van Halen albums.

That's why Chickenfoot is resonating with so many of us. It's a return to roots of a classic four piece pop hard rock outfit with a virtuoso guitarist. You can't compare it to the six pack, but it's in the same genre, certainly.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 06.11.09 at 12:23 AM.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

It's really interesting and cool to read people's heartfelt and reminiscent recollections of their introductions and early experiences with VH. With no bullshit, mud slinging, or opinionated insults. Awesome!

I'm not the oldest here but older than some of the regulars. Not by much but for me VH with Dave was VH and I felt very similar about Sam as Brett did..great singer..not into his stuff though and imo a b level artist..another Aldo Nova type. Crushed Dave was gone. I liked VH with Hagar from afar. Unlike the CVH releases I didn't rush out to buy any VH hagar CD's on the day of their release I only did that with 5150. I got into CVh in late grade school and basically became a man, guitarist and all that while CVH was fresh. Now though I was still a "kid" to a degree...late teens at least when Sam joined.. VH was set in stone for me. Not to bring up a negative but already trying to give "Van Hagar" a chance..I liked the cd enough 5150 and Summer Nights is fantastic though I thought a few of the lyrics on SN could have been better...When Sam did the Fk Dave thing in philly and he did I have no reason to lie..it was an extra obstacle for me and a negative. Instead of the bravado and machismo Dave brought they were doing that funky 5150 walk and all hugging eachother and VH became something very different 2 ME. I still liked the music but I started to lose intense interest and much like AT said..I was at an age I moved on to explore other things. I started liking things like Malmsteen, Andre Segovia, Al Dimeola, Vai, Satrina, Steve Morse, rediscovered Queen/Brian May, Hendrix and some new bands that were out etc etc.

I loved Balance and The twister sound track. I really started to get back into and accept VH for who they were then but of course that didn't last long. I didn't hate Sam era..my band even played songs like Finish What You Started but it wasn't that balls out band I loved anymore.

I gave VH 3 a chance. Was on the VHML, bought the CD and 5th row seats. Ok record. great show. The VH -->I<-- loved the most died when Dave left. Although very disappointed Mike is out I've had a VH Renaissance now that Dave is back. Despite the less than perfect situation VH with Wolf did a respectable job on tour and kicked ass despite the obvious thing wrong with the whole picture. It's very sad after all this time VH makes an effort but yet still falls short from doing it right.

I'm glad a lot of you don;t give me shit for liking VH as I do. I'm a victim of circumstance. lol I'm glad most respect that and the whole questioning or labeling someone fandom is not only immature it erodes the benefit of a wonderful place this site can be. VH fans from many different angles coming together to discuss, find info about and interact with their fellow VH fans.

All the best to you all. Some great posts here.

Peace.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 06.11.09 at 12:45 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

ballance
    Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

VH was one of my favourite bands when Dave was in it though i wasn't into music like i am now when i first herd WCTBL i think on American top 40 and the DJ said that was the new VH anyway bought 5150 and ever since then become a huge fan.VH with Sammy was like a religious experience and was lucky enough to see them at the Kingdome in 88 when he left in 96 i still was a big fan saw both shows over here but since GARY left and especially the last few years with all the bullshit thats happened i wouldnt go and see them unless it was free.Chickenfoot have become my new VH

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brokenleg View Post
    I hate all this Dave vs. Sammy crap. For me, they were both great... just different.

Preach the gospel brotha!
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,460 Times in 896 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brokenleg View Post
    I got into them in 1984 and then got exposed to the earlier albums. I got in just in time for Dave to leave. But I have to say that I loved version 2.0 as well. It's just that they always felt like 2 completely different bands to me. 5150 was my first VH tour. 8th row center with my older brother - back when you actually could camp out for tix. Great memories.

I'm roughly in the same boat when I started getting into VH.
    I liked both singers but have always given the edge to Roth.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

For me I got in to Van Halen around 78-79. I always loved Roth on Vocals. I am in the same boat with some here as far as what I thought of Sammy's career before VH. I thought he was ok, only new 3 lock box and 55. Just like most I thought it sucked when Roth left VH. I was finally old enough to see them for the first time in 84 and right after that he splits. Thankfully it was in the MTV that actually played music era and when Sam joined Van Halen they seemed to cover it pretty well. I will admit at first it seemed like they hired Ronald McDonald to front the band, but after seeing Van Halen Unleashed on MTV and seeing what Sam was all about I was willing to give it a chance.
    Looking back I don't think Van Halen could have chosen anyone better than Hagar to front the band once Dave was gone. In the beginning they meshed quite nicely together and having Sam gave Ed more freedom on guitar and keys. The only problem I had with the Hagar years were the love songs. The Van Halen I grew up on showed up at the party, drank all your alcohol and fucked your girlfriend. The Sammy era seemed more like spending a Saturday night alone with your girlfriend telling her how much you love her.
    At this point in time I am really interested in seeing what Ed still has to offer when it comes to music. Nothing he has done in the last 10 years has blown me away, but with Roth back hopefully the potential will be there. Thankfully Roth has seemed to have gotten his shit together and in my opinion performed very well on the 07-08 tour. Sam and Mike sound good on the CF album and I guess you can kind of get a glimpse into what another Hagar fronted VH album would have sounded like lyrically and it was what I expected.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.