Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Is It At All Possible That Eddie Just Doesn't Have It Anymore?

I really believe that it's possible that Eddie just doesn't have it anymore in terms of being creative in a capacity that he feels comfortable with releasing to the public. Eddie seriously reminds me of authors who spend 10 years trying to write a follow up to a hit book and despite writing many drafts over the years - just are out of ideas and can't recapture their past abililties.

One of the reasons why I think this makes sense is because while he has claimed to have 10 albums worth of material ready - the music for the 3 new Hagar songs was really weak and certainly not reflective of someone who you would think had some really creative music written within those 10 albums of material.

I realize that most musicians are not as good as their used to be and certainly don't write the same quality of songs as in their younger years, but I think Eddie has gone a little crazy in 5150, since he seems to have locked himself in the studio and records all this music that we will never hear. Fuck even Mike had to say stop talking and release some fucking music.

If Dave can bring him out of his insanity - that's great, but I don't have much confidence in a new album being any good or worthwhile as a comeback VH album.

Now I know that many Eddie fanatics on here are going to call bullshit and I guess time will tell, but I am simply not impressed with him anymore compared to other guitarists out there.
    Last edited by hey man; 06.06.09 at 11:22 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

I believe he could have writers block. While I am a far lesser guitarist than Eddie, I have had it for about 7 years with my original material. For awhile shit would just come to me.

That being said, he can get it back if inspired. He may not be as prolific but he may be able to retrieve part of it back. He also may be able to pull out old tapes and piece something together.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:27 PM
    Liked 11,563 Times in 4,929 Posts

Well he hasn't really written anything great in a long time, I think he still can however in the proper setting. I wasn't impressed with his playing on the last tour at all, but I was pretty much alone in that. I just felt he was the same sloppy player from 2004 just not drunk. His technique has taken a serious hit the last few years. Does he need his great technique to write a good song? Yes and no, I think he can mask his flaws with some good songs. We'll see, not ready to write him off yet (as a player not a person), but certainly his last 10 years of original writing has left a lot to be desired.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:54 PM
    Liked 1,607 Times in 989 Posts

Donor

Only time and publically released effort will be able to answer that question.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

I think he still has it. But like the crazy, Chickenfoot loving SOB posted above me: Only time and new material will tell.

I have my Chickenfoot so I don't really care what Ed chooses to do. Make music or don't but stop stringing people along to make yourself look like you're all about the music. Just admit that you prefer playing by yourself in your studio instead of playing live.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

10.15.11 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, but they are all locked inside his vault. His last masterpiece was ME WISE MAGIC and that was over a decade ago when he was "mentally stable". Everything else after that was crapola.
    DLR, circa 2001:

"Hey this is David Lee Roth and I promised you the news and here's the news.

About a year ago myself and the great Van Halen band played together once or twice and it sounded amazing!

In the following several months Edward and I, Edward Van Halen and me, David Lee Roth, created some of the most amazing, phenomenal - the hands fell off the clock ladies and gentleman and we wrote three astonishing tunes.

That was last July (2000) and since then I haven't been up to the studio, we haven't really been in touch and we haven't made any music, but I am holding forth, I'm in the shape of my life and I got the high note - I'm ready to go.

And I am positive for the future ladies and gentleman.

Stay tuned and I'll tell you what the future brings..."

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

07.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I think Learning to See was a pretty decent song. I think he can still make good music. Now all he needs is someone like Dave or Wolfie to push him into doing it.
    \m/ VH \m/

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Talent? Creativity? Sure, I wholeheartily believe that Ed still has it.

But I don't think he has the desire to release any new music that may or may not get judged as harshly as his last studio album.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1, and Balance.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being.
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dance The Night Away View Post
    I think Learning to See was a pretty decent song. I think he can still make good music. Now all he needs is someone like Dave or Wolfie to push him into doing it.
    My favorite of the three, did Ed drop-d tune on that song?It seems to have a dark sort of tone to it and I actually like his sustainer parts on that song.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can't just 'come back' without having the same (if not, more at this age) level of musical activity. This simply has not been there in the last 10 years. A tour of songs you have known since you wrote them in your early twenties is a good start, but the next step is constant writing and rehearsal, pushing yourself on a regular basis.

Who knows what the hell will happen - these guys are old...I'm a big fan, but I'm not hanging on anything spectacular.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Well would ya look at that? I actually agree with hey man about something.

Yes, I think his creative juices dried up a long time ago.

There was actually a rumor once that he OD'd after VHII and hasn't been the same since. I don't buy that because a ton of great stuff came out afterwards (although the kind of stuff that was on VHI really never came back...did he just evolve?), but I wouldn't put it past the booze over the last decade or something sucking the soul out of his fingers.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
    Last Online

01.23.17 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the Chickenfoot CD release an subsequent success will really piss him off - it will force Eddie to put out new music just to get back at Sammy and Mike (or at least I hope so).
    ~ Strat God
    Check Out Strat God Music:
    http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Ed is not the same player as in his youth. He is still better than most. As for writing I think you need to be hungry to write really great stuff. Its like a big league ball player who's old hanging around for just another paycheck. I don't think he likes music a lot anymore and touring even less.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Based on what I heard on the 2007-2008 tour, he can still play almost all of the songs he used to, something which I seriously doubted after a horrendous 2004 tour.

The thing is, there are very few rock musicians out there, for whatever reasons, that can continue to produce relevant, creative music after their peak years. Ed's no different, and he has a lot to prove to his fans considering, as someone mentioned, he's done nothing since "Me Wise Magic".

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

I think Ed might be suffering from a serious lack in confidence. I think the reaction to VHIII really shook him, compounded even more by WB rejecting the follow up tracks and eventually dropping the band. The three new songs on BOBW didn't exactly blow anybody away either.