Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default my biggest stage...

I know for some of you out there, this is nothing...

But as a bar band lighting guy, this is large...

They currently have 36 PAR 64 cans in the air...

They are using a combination of NSI and uhumm Behringer rack mount dimmers... I'm waiting for an email from them on what their lightboard is...
    That will decide if I'm using one, or two boards...

I'll be mounting 4 PAR 56 LED cans vertically on each of these things for side fills... These open up, and they will be mounting wind barriers onto them...

Then another 4 on each side mounted vertically again closer to the front near each PA stack for front/side fills...

The view outward...

8 more PAR 56 LEDS (rear fills, four on each side of the drummer), 8 colorchangers, 8 white PAR 38s (pointed straight out a couple of feet above the drummer) 6 scanners mounted along with the PAR 38s, four moonflowers (on their truss pointing down) and other misc items/strobes/pinspots/halogens/lasers in the back and scattered along on the stage floor...

There is also a full stage backdrop being installed this week, along with those side panels mentioned above... Hopefully, with the combination of large backdrop and the other four wind screens, MAYBE the three smoke machines will be able to keep up maintaining some atmosphere...

In any case, I'm looking forward to the challenge and will post a ton of pictures after the gig on June 12th...

Thanks for looking...
    -voivod
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Last Online

08.17.12 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Last Online

03.25.16 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

That stage looks like it's going to rock on the 12th! Kick some soundboard ass!!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Dude,I'm very impressed! I had no idea that was your thing....very cool.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Dude,I'm very impressed! I had no idea that was your thing....very cool.
    I agree! Good luck with it all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sick man, have fun with that. New lighting designs are always a blast. I'm fortunate enough to work as the Production Director's assistant at my church. We recently scored 10 MAC 500's to add to our moving light inventory, and have had some fun playing with different designs.

I've never done heavy lighting outdoors though. I'd imagine keeping haze would be running at full the entire show!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

got home at 1:40am this morning after leaving my house at 8am... 80minute one way drives suck...

So... I arrived right before 10am, and start unloading... Met up with my contact, who was awesome to say the town provided Us & Them (pun) with anything we needed to make our day go well...

I unloaded and after an hour, since the town guys were still working on the stage (backdrop, carpeting, cleaning etc etc) I didn't really ahev a chance to start setting up until almost 11am...

Per usual, I took my time setting up my gear... A nice casual, no rush affair...
    After I had most of my LED par cans up, I hooked up my board, and powered up one section at a time... I do this now to trouble shoot while I setup... I found only ONE issue, a DIP switch must have been bumped... But I found it easily enough doing this new troubleshooting method...

It's about 3pm, and now I turn my time to the house lights... I was told, it's all setup to be Plug & Play... OOOOkk... I place this HUGE light board next to mine, and it makes mine look like a Fisher Price My First Lightboard toy... Just insane...

Plugged in their 5-pin DMX, and turn on the four 3-pole breakers (one for each dimmer pack)... Turn on the board, and..............................

nothing...

I go into pressing this and that mode...

nothing...

Whip out the manual, follow it...

nothing...

While now getting a tad concerned, oh wait, look, that one Par can just lit up...

WTF?

Now they are all blinking...

and off again...

oh look those two are dimming...

OK, shut'er down, reset the breakers and start fresh...

Essentially, the same results...

Now, the head park guy shows up... I explain to him the whole scenario... He calls the guys who set this up over the week... 20 minutes later he arrives... To him everything appears to be in order, and even HE can't get this to work...

About an hour later, BAM! we have lights... For some reason all the patching got erased, and he repatched all the channels... Showed me how to repatch JUST IN CASE, I set a scene, it worked, and off he went...

Now, I'm happy as a pig in ****, and start to add scenes... After 16 scenes, poof! Lights are gone... NO CONTROL whatsoever... The same thing is happening all over again... Now I'm pissed... wicked pissed...

30 minutes of restarting, re-patching, re-everything, and I come to the conclusion, we're stuck with just my lights... I call my contact, she tells me she's just pulling in and will see me in a few minutes...

Once she arrives, I show here what's going on and give her a rund-down on what went on earlier with her boss, and the lightguy... She calls her boss, and he calls the lightguy...

Now I'm on the boss's cell with the lightguy, and I'm basically told there's nothing he can do... He's out of the area now, and I'm on my own...

UGH...

I sit and ponder... The band is saddened by these turn of events... The town employees are annoyed as hell...

I wiggle the cable a bit, and although I could not tell if this was coincidence or not, but it appear to MAYBE be a cable issue... Then I though, maybe a grounding issue... So I used a ground lift on the board, no help... Then, I thought Hmm, dirty power? Since I pulled the panel cover off the main panel earlier to run a dedicated 20amp line for the sound guy that he wasn't using yet, I plug the lightboard directly into that...

I reset to factory default, test patch 8 channels, and it works...
    WE HAVE LIGHTS!! Controllable lights too...

Start creating scenes again, and while doing so I tell my contact that I think I discovered the issue, dirty power...

Half way done adding scenes again, and blinko-city emerges AGAIN!!!!

The lights are freaking out again.. SOB!!!!!

Break the news to my contact... I kept giving her mood swings... LOL

So, now I sit there again... and think... WTF... I reset and try again... Works for a bit, and then side stage lights start acting up again... Then it hit me...

The side stage lights... THE NEW SIDE STAGE LIGHTS.... The NEW Behringer POWERED side lights... ****ing Behringer!!! I go to the dimmer racks, and remove the Behringers from the DMX loop, and plug only into the two NSI dimmer packs which control the front and rear stage lights...

Houston We Have Success... No more Behringer in the equation, NO MORE PROBLEMS... Happy as a pig in ****, I show my contact what the REAL problem was... Victorious! I get back to work, and within 15 minutes it's showtime...

However, since I was not going to spend $300 on new cable to allow me to sit at the FOH mixing pad, sat in the rear of the stage... Very hard to create a light show from ON the stage let me tell ya... Thus, because of this, I did not take any pictures for myself...

But some other people did, and well, here's some that just came in... Ignore the fog warnings though... It was impossible to keep a decent haze in the air... Next year we're going to wrap around the whole structure so we can have better ambient control of the fog...

Thanks for taking the time to read this... LOL

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

this just in...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

a few more...

too short...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Here's a link to all the pictures I have been able to find...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

voivod, my man! This is awesome!! Way to conquer the Behringer Problem!

Great work!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online