Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 2,082 Times in 675 Posts

Default MICHAEL ANTHONY: EDDIE VAN HALEN 'Is A Bitter Guy'

MICHAEL ANTHONY Says EDDIE VAN HALEN 'Is A Bitter Guy' - June 5, 2009

From Blabbermouth.com

Classic Rock Revisited: How much do personalities have to do with a band like CHICKENFOOT?

Michael: It has a lot to do with it. On stage is one thing, but off stage is another. It is kind of interesting, because sometimes you wonder how these four personalities are going to mesh. I have partied enough times with Chad [Smith, drums] down in Cabo to know what he is like. We are saying now, that we should have called this band "ONE GENIUS & A BUNCH OF IDIOTS." Joe [Satriani] balances the rest of us out. Joe Satriani is a methodical, and structured, kind of guy — thank God for that. Every day, he came to the studio with his staff paper while the rest of us were saying that we should put up a blackboard and scribble down what we needed to work on. Joe would say, "No, we are not going to do that." You really need someone like that in the studio. Of course, we had Andy Johns [producer] in to do this thing with us. He is a great engineer and a great producer. He really was like the fifth member of the band. He was out in the studio with us, making suggestions and everything. He knew when we had a take. He would say, "Play it as many times as you want, but that is the one right there." He would go outside and have a cigarette and say, "Let me know when you guys are through goofing around because this is the take we are using." We just went out on a little nine-show thing and everyone got along great. I was wondering if Chad was going to make us wear socks on our dicks. I told him that he should leave his socks at home.

Classic Rock Revisited: Does being around great guitar players and great producers even phase you anymore?

Michael: No, it really doesn't. Playing with Eddie [Van Halen], and now playing with Joe, where there is not another guitar player . . . Sammy didn't even put on a guitar while we were doing this. When we are live, he plays a little bit here and there. My position is to really anchor the thing down. CREAM was one of the only bands that when [Eric] Clapton went into a solo, it was almost like there were three different solos going on. They would, somehow, come right back into the song. You can lose your perspective and wonder where the song is going, and even, what song it is, but Chad and I click so well together that we can play anything and know where we are. We play so well together, that when Joe plays a solo, it doesn't sound like anything drops out. That shows that everyone knows what they need to do in a band like this. It shows that everyone knows how to make it sound good.

Classic Rock Revisited: Eddie Van Halen told RollingStone.com that Michael quit VAN HALEN and was not fired.

Michael: I am so far past that… I wish that he would be too. Unfortunately, he is a bitter guy. At my age, at this point in my life, I don't want to be bitter. I want to hang around positive people, and I could not find three more positive guys than the guys I am playing with now. Why keep rehashing the past? They were asking Eddie questions that had nothing to do with that. They said, "Have you heard CHICKENFOOT?" And he goes, "Yeah, but by the way, Michael Anthony wasn't fired; he quit." It had nothing to do with anything. I never quit the band. At one point, I was forced to make a decision to sit on my hands, at home, and do nothing for a number of years, or go out and play some shows on a tour with Sammy and Dave [Lee Roth]. What would you do? I felt that I was doing those guys a service by going out and flying the VAN HALEN flag and letting people know that VAN HALEN is still here. My last name is not "Van Halen." People tend to forget you. I didn't want people to go, "That is that guy that used to play in VAN HALEN. What's his name again?" The fans wanted to hear that music. I was kind of forced into a situation like that. I never quit the band. When we did the 2004 reunion, Eddie didn't even want me to be a part of that because he was so torqued up that I was buddies with Sammy. Why can't I be buddies with Sammy and still play with VAN HALEN? With those guys, it was a cut-and-dried situation. You are in or you are out. You are with us or you are not. He still keeps bringing this stuff up. I talked to Joe Bosso [of MusicRadar.com] yesterday about it, because Rolling Stone was on his back for a response. I wanted the fans to know that I never left the band. For whatever happened, I am not a bitter person about it. I loved VAN HALEN; I loved everything we did. Hell, I was one of the only two guys who showed up for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. I love the legacy of the band but I am moving on. I am in a great place with CHICKENFOOT. Ed needs to do that too. [Eddie says he's] got a studio right there at [his] house, and [he says] that [he has] a million songs written. Well, go ahead and record some, and go out and have fun. Let's look back fondly at VAN HALEN and what it was. How was that? I am not a guy who gets mad. A lot of people are looking at my response and going, "Oh my God, Mike grew a set of balls." I didn't grow a set of balls. I just got tired of rehashing this shit. I am tired of it. I would always skate around the subject, but this is the way it is. I have gotten on with it and they need to get on with it too. They need to go out and remember why they are in this business.
    Last edited by James in New York; 06.06.09 at 08:31 PM.
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

cool...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Mike is a class act!

(Do I get some kind of prize if I'm the millionth poster of that phrase? A puppy or something, right?)
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 1,617 Times in 994 Posts

Donor

Nice job sensationalizing the context, James.

Way to stay positive!

You are as weak as the rest of us, junior.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vh_chick View Post
    (Do I get some kind of prize if I'm the millionth poster of that phrase? A puppy or something, right?)
    You're only number 999,996 though. You get a shiny new case of Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Brand whiskey.

We don't care if you don't like it, them's the breaks
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MA called EVH "a bitter guy," huh?

I guess it could've been worse. After all, MA could've followed EVH's lead and called him "Sauce Van Halen." It lacks the alliteration of the "Sauce Sobolewski" nickname coined by EVH and the "sauce" would be different, but the nickname would've been accurate, too -- at least at the time the split between EVH and MA happened in 2004 or so. Thankfully and not surprisingly, MA didn't go down that path.

My point is, MA has a long way to go before he's equal with EVH in regards to insults or actions that demean EVH's reputation among the industry and/or public at large. After all, EVH was trying to replace MA for how long and actually spoke to possible replacements (e.g., Billy Sheehan) behind his back.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Last Online

07.29.16 @ 03:28 AM
    Liked 73 Times in 22 Posts

Awesome to see Mike just telling it like it is and not "skating" around anything anymore. Good for him. Chickenfoot has delivered the goods and its time for VH to put up and actually record something or shut up for good. I'm sure the VH camp will just go back into hiding though...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Mike: The only guy telling it straight-up like it is.

He didn't say anything we didn't already know. But it was good to hear someone say it.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

See now people (Sorry James you walked into this one) like James are going to say....SEE Mike isn't so NICE.

Ya....but you want to know the difference?

What Ed says are mostly fabrications or dilusions. What Mike (and often Sam) said in this is TRUE.

Ed is bitter. End of story.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 2,082 Times in 675 Posts

It was blabbermouth's title not mine...

I think Mike comes off good in it...

So there.

Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    It was blabbermouth's title not mine...

I think Mike comes off good in it...

So there.

I think he does too. Nice to see somebody telling the truth.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I likey the Mikey. We all know the moral of the story and it's refreshing to
    hear someone put it plainly.

(VH) need to go out and remember why they are in this business.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Michael brings up a solid point, too; Eddie has his own studio. Where's the music?

Yeah, I know. First, Wolfie's graduating, then Eddie's getting married, then the summer melon crop will need harvesting, then, then, then.

He OWNS the studio.

Any man who's been married knows what a man's role in the ceremony is. Show up on time with your hair combed, teeth brushed and tux on. And his time obligation for Wolfgang's graduation? What? 20 minute drive to the ceremony, 10-minute call to the bakery ("Yes, the blue frosting. Make it spell 'Junior's grades were good enough.'")

Shit or get off the 5150, Ed.
    Last edited by te5150; 06.06.09 at 11:35 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

10.15.11 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MA has credibility and is spot on about EVH being bitter.

IMO, EVH is cruel and delusional as well.

Anyways, EVH STFU and create music!
    DLR, circa 2001:

"Hey this is David Lee Roth and I promised you the news and here's the news.

About a year ago myself and the great Van Halen band played together once or twice and it sounded amazing!

In the following several months Edward and I, Edward Van Halen and me, David Lee Roth, created some of the most amazing, phenomenal - the hands fell off the clock ladies and gentleman and we wrote three astonishing tunes.

That was last July (2000) and since then I haven't been up to the studio, we haven't really been in touch and we haven't made any music, but I am holding forth, I'm in the shape of my life and I got the high note - I'm ready to go.

And I am positive for the future ladies and gentleman.

Stay tuned and I'll tell you what the future brings..."