Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Practice amp suggestions

Hey guys, my sons have both picked up instruments thanks to guitar hero and are learning!!! They have conquered the intro to crazy train and run to the hills and a few others. One of them has a nice bass and the other has a nice guitar, but we have only amp to practice with. It is a little Dean Markley, not a thing wrong with it, but we need a second one and I am looking for suggestions. Don't want to spend over $100 or so. Probably needs to be a bass amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked on musiciansfriend quite a bit, but am not sure which would be best for around that $.

Thanks again!!!!!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Executionor View Post
    Hey guys, my sons have both picked up instruments thanks to guitar hero and are learning!!! They have conquered the intro to crazy train and run to the hills and a few others. One of them has a nice bass and the other has a nice guitar, but we have only amp to practice with. It is a little Dean Markley, not a thing wrong with it, but we need a second one and I am looking for suggestions. Don't want to spend over $100 or so. Probably needs to be a bass amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked on musiciansfriend quite a bit, but am not sure which would be best for around that $.

Thanks again!!!!!
    heeheehee...this thread keeps popping up brand new every few weeks!

It's such a common question though and it's worth answering every time!

I like the peavey, the fender, the cube and the vox. All of them have 15 watt combo/practice amps that are awesome...cost between 99 and 149 a piece. The ones at the 149 range have built in effects. My suggestion is go ahead and spring for it. Look at like this: 100 bucks on an amp...in a couple months junior will want a couple of effects pedals...50 bucks a piece if you keep really cheap. Now you've spent 200 bucks on an amp and two pedals when you could have spent 150 on an amp that had a dozen effects already in there giving him an opportunity to mess around and experiment so that when he does come to you wanting a pedal, he knows which ones he wants and why.

Does that make sense?

Some guys swear by the Line 6. I don't.

I'd go with the Fender, the Cube, the Peavey as far as amps with effects, I don't think you can miss with any of those.

If you want one that is slightly less but does not have effects, the Vox Pathfinder 15 every day of the week. That amp sounds better than a lot of 30and 50 watt amps I've heard. Great little practice amp!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! Yes, that makes perfect sense to me to spring for a little more now. I am truly ignorant about this, but I told them if they would just take it serious, I would eventually buy them whatever they needed. Currently, they have a nice Pearl Forum series trapset, a really nice set of keyboards, Nice electric guitar, and Isaac now has his bass. Only thing we really need at the moment is the second amp. Thanks for the info Broken!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

--Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the info! Yes, that makes perfect sense to me to spring for a little more now. I am truly ignorant about this, but I told them if they would just take it serious, I would eventually buy them whatever they needed. Currently, they have a nice Pearl Forum series trapset, a really nice set of keyboards, Nice electric guitar, and Isaac now has his bass. Only thing we really need at the moment is the second amp. Thanks for the info Broken!
    you're welcome.

The thing about buying a good first amp is that they'll never not need it anymore. You ALWAYS need a good, small, low volume amp. Whether for practicing quietly when folks are sleeping or watching TV in the next room, or for doing some recording, or whatever. What's more, that first amp is really critical. People often make the mistake of saying "well, let me get the cheapest, smallest stuff first because they may not stick with it and I don't want to waste my money. If they show they're serious THEN I'll spring for the good stuff." That makes sense but realize that those first few months are critical in determining whether someone will really stick with it. A crappy guitar or a crappy amp can do A LOT to frustrate a new player and it can train them to think that's what it will always sound like. On the flipside, a good amp and good guitar can really inspire a new player and make them want to practice! (I know, imagine that!)

i was at work earlier and didn't have time to pull links but now I'm home, chilling, listening to the Foot and watching wrasslin with some whiskey and coke...so check these links out...

Vox Pathfinder 15R
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Path...48-i1145733.gc

I love that amp. It sounds incredible. It only has clean, distortion and reverb but out of all the little combos I've played (and I've played them all) this one sounds the best. Crispy clean, crunchy dirt and springy reverb.

Peavey Vyper
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-V...51-i1413605.gc

probably the most popular peavey amp in its class. I like that it has the effects built in and it's cheap. It really does sound nice. It has a built in tuner which is waaaay handy AND has a neat feature that a lot of amps are using these days: aux in for use with cd/mp3 players. Back in my day I had my stereo and I had my amp and I was constantly fighting to get the volumes in synch so I could jam along. This way the kids can run their favourite cds or jam tracks through the amp and play along with it. Very neat feature.

Peavey Rage
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-R...36-i1167404.gc

10 bucks more gets you 10 more watts but no effects. Still has the cd in/direct out. 10 watts can make some difference at this size an amp, but how much will be up to you. It can really help round out the sound and increase the headroom some so that the amp doesn't distort so much at higher volumes. If it were me, I'd go with the 15 watt with effects though.

Fender G-DEC
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-G...47-i1174720.gc

Probably the coolest out of the bunch. 15 watts, has effects, amp simulators but what really makes it cool is that it has jam tracks built in!! That means it has preset drum/bass loops that they can jam to...not only that but they can change the keys of the tracks so that they can practice in different keys. way cool. I like these A LOT!!!

The Roland Cube (AndrewThomas's favourite)
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-C...30-i1169242.gc

A lot of folks see this as the gold standard of small amps. Comes with 15 watts, clean, distortion and cd in. It's a very nice sounding amp. I believe Andrew said he's recorded with it, which speaks volumes for it's sound.

the 20 watt version costs about 70 bucks more but gets you not only the 5 extra watts but effects to boot.
    here's a link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-C...31-i1169243.gc

If it were me, I'd probably go with the Fender G-DEC.

hope this helps!!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, thanks for all the information, I am still pouring over it as I want to buy them a new amp still.

I did, however, just purchase an older amp that is same as brand new. The lady said her 11 year old son got it a few years ago to learn guitar on but decided he liked sports more. The one I got is pretty nice, I was really surprised I got it so cheap, but so far, so good for $45!

Information it is:
    Behringer V-Tone Model GM110
    30 watt amp
    10" Jensen speaker

Links:
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/GM110.aspx
    http://www.melmusic.com.au/shop/inde...productID=9999

I am still studying about the ones you listed too as the little dean markley is a 10 watt, but I would like to get them a little bigger one.

I do like the looks at least of the Fender G-DEC.

Like I say this is all new to me, but it is exciting that Guitar Hero really sparked them into playing real music. I showed Isaac some Primus and he dug the bass. Of course, I showed them the who and Rush and anyone else I have been able to inspire them with.

This is just too much fun.

--Will Rogers

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

beatles man...it all starts and ends with the beatles!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I would get a line6 pocket pod and play thru headphones... then the cheapest amp you can afford when you can.

My pocket pod can make anything into a great practice amp. I currently use it
    at my desk with a $60 amp built into a Hieneken beer can.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little update. Well, being the frugal bastage that I am, I started scouring craigslist for the boys some amplifiers. I bought a same as new Behringer GM110, not the GMX110, for $45. Yesterday, I picked up a nice Fender rumble 25 for $50. We have two really small ones as well, but I have had them. One is a little Dean Markley, and the other one is a Roland 10. So, not bad the two better amps for $95.00. Only thing I need to fix is on the Fender Rumble 25, the MID knob is broke off flush with the case. Where would I find a new one of these if anyone is familiar with them. I can replace it, no problem, but just have to find the electrical component and actual knob. Thanks again!

--Will Rogers

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

I know people might laugh at this. This thing is so small it has a belt clip. With one 9v battery you can walk around with it or use a dc input.

At work I have a Mexican strat and this amp. I often practice on it and it actually has great tone considering the size. Like many say tone is in the fingers..so if your looking for more than a practice amp...looking for a cheap amp that kinda sounds like a big boy amp..never mind this.

These things rule though. Even with this and a mexican made strat with single coils, from VH, Hendrix, SRV to whoever I'm able to go there without being totally disappointed the cheap setup will fall totally short. Full blown distortion or clean it's there. Definitely maybe even a stocking stuffer. I'm shocked more people don't love these things for backyard parties etc. One year I went to a Halloween party as slash lol and took a les paul with this amp, clipped on me, so small many didn't even notice where the sound came from and it was a riot..and sounds great considering.

This may not be the answer for your budding musicians practice amp but this is my practice amp at work. lol practice amp = this. All other amps = half or full stacks. I have no smaller amps.

Just something to consider. If not for a practice amp then as a cool little extra xmas gift your guitar playing son..something he will love to have for certain occasions.
    Not a replacement or alternative to a real amp but a cool thing to have 4 sure.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...sku=482812#new
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 07.06.09 at 02:48 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

The Roland Micro Cube is fantastic.

I love the tone on it...runs on batteries and is pretty loud too.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A little update. Well, being the frugal bastage that I am, I started scouring craigslist for the boys some amplifiers. I bought a same as new Behringer GM110, not the GMX110, for $45. Yesterday, I picked up a nice Fender rumble 25 for $50. We have two really small ones as well, but I have had them. One is a little Dean Markley, and the other one is a Roland 10. So, not bad the two better amps for $95.00. Only thing I need to fix is on the Fender Rumble 25, the MID knob is broke off flush with the case. Where would I find a new one of these if anyone is familiar with them. I can replace it, no problem, but just have to find the electrical component and actual knob. Thanks again!
    All parts should be able to get you set up with that component. Just call them and describe what you need.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I recommend the Vox DA5. It has a bunch of good tones including and EVH sounding one. Also it can run off batteries so you don't always need to plug it in, which I find very useful. Also you can plug a mic into it. Plus it has a strap to carry it. I think they go for about $150 new.
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.