Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Aging techniques...anyone?...anyone?

Alright. My body is set up in the VH1 and ready for some aging. I've bought a new cordless Dremel tool. I have sandpaper, and x-acto's. I've bought the "scotch-brite" heads for the dremel. I did try them on a test piece and noticed right away that even though the paint wore away smoothly, the paint tends to "build up" at the ends. The paint has dried for over 2 weeks now. These scotch-brite wheels seem perfect for the edges but what if I'm looking for some exact lines or shapes? Are some of you guys up for telling me some "real" secrets or techniques? Anything from fine lines on the wood to electronics would be helpful...so post away!!!!!
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have never built a Frankenstein, however, I have done some artificial aging to either match new parts with an older guitar, as well as making a new guitar look loved and played. You will need to dull the shine from the initial painting with #0000 steel wool. Over buffing with a car polisher and Finesse-It 2 will give the worn shine. I would let it dry longer if you can just wait a bit longer. The paint may not get that much harder, but I surmise that it will make a significant difference. Putting the body in concentrated UV light (yes, a tanning bed) will help harden the paint. Also, beware of what I call the "man wearig steel wool gloves soaked in motor oil and having a 50 grit sandpaper suit complete with a 16" platter rodeo belt buckle" look in aging. I would suggest either ReRanch tinted clear or using cheap cigars to give the appearance of a LOT of cigarette smoke. Smoke looks more authentic, but tinted clear does a bangup job. Just make certain to steel wool the tinted clear with #0000 about three days after you misted it several times.

Some people like using graphite mixed with gunstock oil to make the fingerboard dirty, others like Minwax stains mixed to a certain colour. There is no right or wrong answer here IMO, but just experiment. I always say to go easy at first.

Blowing up pictures to the size of the guitar will help significantly with finding the specific spots where paint is worn away. Think about how long it took to make the Frankenstrat to look like it is, as well. You don't want all of the wear to look fresh. Take your time, throw the body around, try and simulate some of the wear like you were actually doing it, but have fun.

Remember that chrome looks newer longer than nickel. Wh do I say this? 'cos people try and age chrome with muriatic acid. Not only is it dangerous, but it looks naff, as well!!! Putting your metal parts into a box full of other metal parts will gently scratch and pit the chrome, and wiping the metal parts with something mildly corrosive (try vinegar and salt mixture) over lots of time will make bits of surface rust in the little pits and scratches apear. Remember that there are 40 year old Strats with chrome parts where the chrome is quite intact and looking relatively unaged!!! The black metal parts will get rusty pretty quickly (be careful), and your pickup polepieces will look as worn as Eddie's in no time.

I hope I have helped.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ME100472 View Post
    Alright. My body is set up in the VH1 and ready for some aging. I've bought a new cordless Dremel tool. I have sandpaper, and x-acto's. I've bought the "scotch-brite" heads for the dremel. I did try them on a test piece and noticed right away that even though the paint wore away smoothly, the paint tends to "build up" at the ends. The paint has dried for over 2 weeks now. These scotch-brite wheels seem perfect for the edges but what if I'm looking for some exact lines or shapes? Are some of you guys up for telling me some "real" secrets or techniques? Anything from fine lines on the wood to electronics would be helpful...so post away!!!!!
    MSN mate...like i said..takes 2 sec to install..and we can chat ALL NIGHT LONG..ahahaha

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    . I would suggest either ReRanch tinted clear or using cheap cigars to give the appearance of a LOT of cigarette smoke. Smoke looks more authentic, but tinted clear does a bangup job. Just make certain to steel wool the tinted clear with #0000 about three days after you misted it several times.
    I hope I have helped.
    I am also in the process of finishing a Franky project and was wondering if this is what you would do to give a slighly yellowed look to the white paint. I've pretty much done everything else but was unsure of what to do to dull down the white...if bunnyman or anyone else can confirm whether this or another way is the best to accomplish this, it would be appreciated.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    I am also in the process of finishing a Franky project and was wondering if this is what you would do to give a slighly yellowed look to the white paint. I've pretty much done everything else but was unsure of what to do to dull down the white...if bunnyman or anyone else can confirm whether this or another way is the best to accomplish this, it would be appreciated.

Reranch tinted clear is good; however- test on scrap for compatability. Again- you could kick it old skool by smoking the guitar with tobacco smoke.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going ReRanch tinted clear myself. we'll see how it does. Last build I used a rag and dilluted brown stain. Then 000 steel wool to dull. Worked well too.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I've found that a more analog approach works well for me. I use dental tools, sand paper, scrapers, and razor blads. Scraping, sanding, or scratching the paint looks more realistic to me. Make sure it's fully cured and you get a better chipping effect.
    As far as the tinting on the front, the ReRanch Tinted Clear is the way to go. Be in a well vintilated area and use a mask because as Ron says "nitro is noxious". Light misting heavier in the center and lighter towards the edges is my technique. Really light misting though, and definitely practice on scraps painted white so you see how much you'll need to spray.
    Last edited by DivebombInc; 06.04.09 at 11:42 AM.
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.02.09 @ 07:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want some of the best reference photos ever go to:

musiciansfriend.com and search for Van Halen Guitar.

They have the $25k version listed, and they were kind enough to post 28 pictures from just about EVERY CONCIEVABLE ANGLE....great photos. I've never seen the original up close, but if the copies are as great as they say, then this is a great place for pics.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think its important to decide which project you're going to target. There are a lot of variations in the relicing of each Fender replica. I also see more aging in the replicas than I do in most original pics. You could argue that there haven't been any recent pics taken of the original.
    Anyway, just a comment. My personal take is I target the original unless there is a void of data for a particular point of interest. Then I fall back to the replica pics.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Reranch tinted clear is good; however- test on scrap for compatability. Again- you could kick it old skool by smoking the guitar with tobacco smoke.

Hey, thanks bunnyman...I appreciate the help...have a great weekend, everybody!!
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YMI5150? View Post
    I think its important to decide which project you're going to target. There are a lot of variations in the relicing of each Fender replica. I also see more aging in the replicas than I do in most original pics. You could argue that there haven't been any recent pics taken of the original.
    Anyway, just a comment. My personal take is I target the original unless there is a void of data for a particular point of interest. Then I fall back to the replica pics.
    Yours is a very good advice. The Fender replicas sometimes overdo. Specially the Floyds and the quarter. I have found some replica pics of every angle of the guitar, in a huge resolution and relied on it. It was a pretty good replica, considering the whole lot of Fenders. But it was not the same. This time, I will rely on the original 1997 version.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep. All ya gotta do is look at some past threads to know how much I hate thast fuckin replica.
    Whats funny is alot of people are becoming great replicating a replica.
    Alot of people assume the Fender is (excuse the exspestion) dead on.
    But its far from it.
    Ellis does the same mistake alot of replica guys do.
    The just overdo it.
    Ya also gotta remermber that that guitar went through some serious changes.
    Not only do very few people know what it looks like now, I dont asee why you would want that.
    You should be able to get the version you like. What made the biggest inpact on you.
    My favorite is the "Jump" video, US festivil version. The one with the Kramer beak.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like Dino said... All Ed has got to do is to drop a cigarette on the paint and he'll frustrate the most recent, perfect replica!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    Like Dino said... All Ed has got to do is to drop a cigarette on the paint and he'll frustrate the most recent, perfect replica!
    It's true!

Even the most accurate Franky replica is merely a snap shot of how that guitar looked at that exact period in time ... much like the reference photos we use.

Funny ...
    We spend countless hours, accurately recreating every nick, ding, and scratch on the guitar, then when it's done ... we treat it with extreme care as not to scratch or ding it, for fear of it no longer being "accurate".

Sorta ironic, isn't it?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YMI5150? View Post
    Going ReRanch tinted clear myself. we'll see how it does. Last build I used a rag and dilluted brown stain. Then 000 steel wool to dull. Worked well too.
    While I dont use ReRanch tinted clear, I do use an airbrush with tinted clear and it seems to work really good. Its easy to control and its easy to get all the lines "yellowed." I think it looks a little better because everything isn't uniform like it would be if you masked areas off and sprayed tinted clear. There is no right or wrong way to do it, hell I even used brown shoe polish once to get the lines yellowed but I really didn't like the results. Shoe polish also fades over time if you stick the guitar outside.